IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS350 Code P0017, Crank/Cam Position Correlation

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 07:36 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 IS350 Code P0017, Crank/Cam Position Correlation

Good evening forum! Before I start I would like to point out that I have been researching this code for hours this evening. I used the search function and have looked at every relevant post on this website trying to determine what is and is not potentially related to my issue. I understand everyone's time is valuable so I wanted to try and resolve my issue before posting. Unfortunately, here I am...

Issue: I have code P0017 in my 2007 Lexus IS350 which indicates "Crank/Cam Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor B". The car runs excellent but there is what sounds like a "miss" or a "tick" from the engine bay, specifically the passenger side. I believe Bank 1 is the passenger side and this would seem correct as that is where the noise is coming from.

So far I have ohm tested and applied 12 volts to all 4 of the cam timing oil control solenoids, all checked within ohm specification which is below 7.9 ohms and when 12 volts is applied, all solenoids move the plunger assembly with ease. I cleaned and re-installed. I have checked all wiring at the connectors and everything appears to be intact. I also removed the connectors at the 4 cam timing solenoids to check pins, all OK. I removed the connectors from the cam position sensors but could only find the 2 on the drivers side and the 1 on the passenger side, front of head near valley of motor. Connectors and wiring for the 3 I could find looked good to go.

Based off my research, I feel like I have 1 or more cam position sensor(s) bad. I am asking here in hopes someone knows of a way to test the cam sensors or can provide further direction before I go and spend $250 or more on sensors that I may not need.

Thank you in advance.

Josh.

Old 01-23-19, 07:53 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Depending on the mileage. There is OCV inline filters that clog depending on your oil maintenance. Maybe that side could be restricting oil pressure. Have you checked your oil level? It was common on the 2GS v6 models. Then again you said your car runs good.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...cv-filter.html
Old 01-23-19, 08:24 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Depending on the mileage. There is OCV inline filters that clog depending on your oil maintenance. Maybe that side could be restricting oil pressure. Have you checked your oil level? It was common on the 2GS v6 models. Then again you said your car runs good.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...cv-filter.html
Oil level is just below the top dot or hole on the dipstick.

I was not aware of these filters. I just went out and removed the passenger side filter that is behind the banjo bolt on the side of the head. Sure enough, it was rather dirty. I cleaned the filter screen off and re-installed. Unfortunately, this did not solve my issue.

There is definitely a defined and pronounced tick (almost like a typewriter) or miss sound coming from the passenger side. I do not have any misfire codes. Car runs great, I do not feel like there has been a loss of power. Also, you cannot feel the car miss while driving, no bogging down or anything. Its almost like this tick or thud noise is all that is going on but it is setting a code so it has to be effecting something along the way...

Last edited by Josh2002cc; 01-23-19 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 09:37 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

The other position sensor is there just lower as I recall. 1 each sensor per cam. As for testing them you need an oscilloscope. But may be able to get a warm fuzzy with a DMM. Might try AC mode in a parallel connection. Please try not to poke holes in the wires. Perhaps backprobe the sensors with a real tiny hard wire. I'm saying the engine needs to run a d then compare all 4 sensor outputs.

You didn't snap a picture of the filters did you? Wonder if your oil pan has anything laying in it or if the sump screen has debris on it?
Old 01-24-19, 08:20 AM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
The other position sensor is there just lower as I recall. 1 each sensor per cam. As for testing them you need an oscilloscope. But may be able to get a warm fuzzy with a DMM. Might try AC mode in a parallel connection. Please try not to poke holes in the wires. Perhaps backprobe the sensors with a real tiny hard wire. I'm saying the engine needs to run a d then compare all 4 sensor outputs.

You didn't snap a picture of the filters did you? Wonder if your oil pan has anything laying in it or if the sump screen has debris on it?
I found the second sensor on the passenger side last night, it is on the bottom of the valve cover to the rear of engine. I am going to try and back probe the connectors tonight. There are 3 wires per sensor, do you know of a wiring diagram available so I can see which wires need to be probed? Or perhaps you know which wires need to be probed?

Also, do you know if Lexus has PID's that I can monitor with say HP Tuners or a generic OBD2 scanner with live data capability? Could a guy watch those sensor PID's (if available) to see if one is acting up compared to the others?

I did not take a picture of the screen as my hands were covered in oil and I just bought a new phone last weekend. The filter was dirty (I will order 2 new ones from Lexus before this is all over) but I would not say they were plugged by any means. It didn't take much to clean it out with brake cleaner and compressed air.

For those who have replied, thank you. 2 replies with great suggestions, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-24-19, 09:03 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Have you tried pulling the cam, and crank sensors to clean them up?. Overtime they do gunk up. Look up the same code you have on the RX forums. It seems pretty common on the forums too.

https://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0017/

Last edited by MikeFig82; 01-24-19 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 11:39 AM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Have you tried pulling the cam, and crank sensors to clean them up?. Overtime they do gunk up. Look up the same code you have on the RX forums. It seems pretty common on the forums too.

https://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0017/
I have not pulled them out yet. I will give that a try this evening when I go to do the back probe testing. I will check the RX forum as you suggested. Thank you.
Old 01-24-19, 12:44 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Josh2002cc
I have not pulled them out yet. I will give that a try this evening when I go to do the back probe testing. I will check the RX forum as you suggested. Thank you.
The sensors are magnetic they should still read. It's best to test them like in the link I posted for you earlier. Then go from there.
Old 01-24-19, 01:02 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

The sensors are magnetic they should still read. It's best to test them like in the link I posted for you earlier. Then go from there.
Can you help me better understand this wiring diagram for the connectors and which wire does what? I do not understand what pin "VVR+", "VVR-", and "VC" mean and same for exhaust side. Please scroll to page 6 (I believe).

And I will use the link you provided to back probe the sensors. I do not have oscilloscope.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus Wiring Diagram.pdf (267.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 01-24-19, 01:42 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Can you help me better understand this wiring diagram for the connectors and which wire does what? I do not understand what pin "VVR+", "VVR-", and "VC" mean and same for exhaust side. Please scroll to page 6 (I believe).

And I will use the link you provided to back probe the sensors. I do not have oscilloscope.
Sorry man no experience in that dept.
Old 01-24-19, 01:45 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Sorry man no experience in that dept.
That's okay. I will just check each pin from ground to see which one has 12 volts and which one has 5 volts. I will report back with my findings. Thanks again.
Old 01-24-19, 01:47 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

That's okay. I will just check each pin from ground to see which one has 12 volts and which one has 5 volts. I will report back with my findings. Thanks again.
That was my first guess on the VC +5V.
Old 01-24-19, 04:43 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

So I back probed the connectors for each of the 4 cam position sensors. All readings indicate idle RPM's.

Bank 1 Passenger side, front top of valve cover
Signal 2.4 volts
Reference 5.0 Volts

Bank 1 Passenger side, rear bottom of valve cover
Signal 2.3 volts
Reference 4.99 volts

Bank 2 Drivers side, front top of valve cover
Signal 2.4 volts
Reference 4.99 volts

Bank 2 Drivers side, mid valve cover
Signal 2.3 volts
Reference 4.99 volts

With these numbers, I do not see anything that says I have a sensor issue. I followed the link posted above by MikeFig82. Grounds all show 12.7 volts when tested at each connector. Reference voltage is there and the signal voltage fluctuates which tells me the sensor is doing it's job.

I played around with my generic obd2 scanner and found something they label "readiness" codes that pulls up a whole host of codes.

P0161
P0158
P0157
P0156
P0138
P0137
P0136
P0128
P0103
P0102
P0100
P0175
P0174
P0172
P0171
P0300

And of course under the "generic" scan P0016 and P0017 still show.

I think it is important to note that I just replaced my alternator as it was no longer charging the battery and left my girlfriend stranded at the grocery store. I also want to note that the check engine light and VSC light have been on for some time and this tick/knock noise was present before the alternator going bad.

Looks like I have more searching to do.

Last edited by Josh2002cc; 01-24-19 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 05:37 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Well what ever it is. It's affecting both banks. Hence the correlation of your codes.

Are they showing rediness "incomplete" ? or pending?

​​​​​​
Old 01-24-19, 06:05 PM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Well what ever it is. It's affecting both banks. Hence the correlation of your codes.

Are they showing rediness "incomplete" ? or pending?

​​​​​​
My scanner does not specify pending or incomplete. It is almost like they are stored codes because I cannot delete them. I delete them and then they come back right away almost like they were not actually deleted. Also, none of the "readiness" codes throw a check engine light & VSC light. The check engine light and VSC only illuminates when the P0017 shows up.

Can spark plugs cause the engine to miss and/or tick/knock?
Can a coil cause the engine to miss and/or tick/knock?

I adjusted my thinking some to wonder about a possible ignition issue such as spark plugs and coils. If one was bad would it cause the engine to miss causing the P0017 as the miss causes the cam and crank sensors to see the fluctuations.

Quick Reply: 2007 IS350 Code P0017, Crank/Cam Position Correlation