IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dead Board or just a great Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 06:40 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Dead Board or just a great Car?

I was just thinking the other day, I'm used to visiting BMWs Boards (I've owned like 6+ and still own one) and noticed that after some time, there's always posts about this or that problem. In fact the majority of new posts tend to be "how do I fix this?" or "what this noise or error light or help I'm stranded."

In looking at the 2IS posts, it really seems boring in comparison (a good thing)! Most of the posts are about modifications (but even then, they tend to be limited. It seems like there are a lot more mods available for BMWs, but I do see tons of 2IS on the road, so it's surprising there aren't more). Or the posts are related to maintenance or wear/tear items (like o2 sensors).

It seems the biggest ones are:
Sticky Dash
Various Airbag Recalls
Carbon Buildup on 250

Rarely are they posts about powertrain problems. And we're almost 5 years past 2IS production. That's just AMAZING. I might just keep mind till the wheels fall off.

Old 01-26-19, 05:30 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Well it is a Lexus :P
everything on CL seems to come in waves
should I get coilovers?
how do I add power to the IS250?
what aftermarket headlights should I get?
what aftermarket taillights should I get?
Can I run staggered on AWD?
Am I experiencing carbon buildup?
what exhaust should I get?
what are the common problems with 2is?
and more recently... am I experiencing alternator failure?

regarding the powertrain... there was a time when a lot of threads were showing up like - my car isn't going into x gear, things about when and or if you need to replace the transmission fluid, fixing shift solenoids and the such.

there's a lot more but I can't remember them off the top of my head right now.

Last edited by Aspect; 01-26-19 at 07:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (01-26-19)
Old 01-26-19, 03:58 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Interesting, I have seen a couple of shifting/transmission issues but it seems like it was on older cars, more recent ones, like 10+ not so much. But even then, that's only a fraction of what you'd see on bmw message boards. Every other post is coolant reservoirs blowing up, alt issues, turbo problems, timing chains failing causing catastrophic damages, fuel pump issues, carbon build up, valve seal leaks, injector issues, trans problems (though the current ZF 8 speed is very reliable) and other things and the worst part, these are complaints that creep up after only 2-3 years.

It seems like BMW boards focus more on what to fix, while Lexus boards focus more on how to cosmetically modify (followed by performance mods).

It's just amazing that Lexus can pull off cars that are now 13 years old (for 06 models) and usually the posts for the 350 at least, revolve around minimal drivetrain issues. I don't understand why BMW can't just look at how Lexus builds their cars and copy them. I think the worst issue on the 350 were the initial valve spring problem (?) and most recently that fuel delivery recall. But these were both covered and taken care of and it's not like it's rampantly causing issues-it's more preventive.

Also, it's not like BMW charges LESS for their cars, they charge a premium, so why not make them better? I've had EGR rubber tubes go brittle after 40k miles.. 40k!! I have a 2000 4runner with 200k miles and all the rubber tubes are still supple and pliable. Go figure.

PS-I just ordered the -42 IS-F Steering ECU :-) really looking forward to it as that's been the ONLY complaint I've had about the car since I got it... the lack of steering feel and how "light" it is at speed. I'm looking forward to installing it. I was able to take care of my other issues like handling with F Sport springs/shocks/sways and the engine note that's a bit blah, with the f-sport intake (gives it a nice rumble). My last issue was the steering feel and if this is fixed, then I've got 8.5/10ths a BMW with 300% better reliability, LOL!

I think think the IS is one of the best kept secrets, but it does need a little mod for "drivers"
Old 01-26-19, 04:54 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 263 Posts

Lol, even the cupholders have to be overengineered, otherwise you would be thirsty while you waited for the tow truck.

Old 01-27-19, 07:05 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

You'll enjoy the ISF steering ECU, it does give it a better driving feel and lets you slip a little more, if that's your thing :P
Old 01-27-19, 08:14 AM
ExplorerII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lockedlex
I was just thinking the other day, I'm used to visiting BMWs Boards (I've owned like 6+ and still own one) and noticed that after some time, there's always posts about this or that problem. In fact the majority of new posts tend to be "how do I fix this?" or "what this noise or error light or help I'm stranded."

In looking at the 2IS posts, it really seems boring in comparison (a good thing)! Most of the posts are about modifications (but even then, they tend to be limited. It seems like there are a lot more mods available for BMWs, but I do see tons of 2IS on the road, so it's surprising there aren't more). Or the posts are related to maintenance or wear/tear items (like o2 sensors).

It seems the biggest ones are:
Sticky Dash
Various Airbag Recalls
Carbon Buildup on 250

Rarely are they posts about powertrain problems. And we're almost 5 years past 2IS production. That's just AMAZING. I might just keep mind till the wheels fall off.

I wondered the same thing when I joined this board a month ago.

Wanted a sporty sedan under a below 10k that was powerful and reliable. I considered the usual suspects including the e90 328i. The Lexus is not as driver focused as the BMW, but the addition cost of ownership wasn't worth it to me. Bimmerforums basically made my choice for me.
Old 01-28-19, 12:36 AM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ExplorerII
I wondered the same thing when I joined this board a month ago.

Wanted a sporty sedan under a below 10k that was powerful and reliable. I considered the usual suspects including the e90 328i. The Lexus is not as driver focused as the BMW, but the addition cost of ownership wasn't worth it to me. Bimmerforums basically made my choice for me.
LOL.. Ironically, I'm a board moderator for one of the largest bimmer boards, but after looking at the current generation 3 (after owning 2 E46s) I just couldn't get myself to fall into that hole again. The IS is just a good car overall and can be made to ALMOST drive as well as a BMW, but requires that you KNOW what you want and then "tune" it in with mods--it will admittedly never be 100% as good a BMW (in fact, I don't think it can reach 90%) as far as driving characteristics go. But I don't get an opportunity to drive any car to that limit on a regular basis, so it's nice having a Lexus that can do something really well the other 98%.

Granted, BMW manages to just get it right, from the showroom. My problem is what happens AFTER you drive it off the showroom... it can be a very unpleasant ownership experience.

Old 01-28-19, 12:38 AM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aspect
You'll enjoy the ISF steering ECU, it does give it a better driving feel and lets you slip a little more, if that's your thing :P
I'm being very hopefully. It's just SOO dead at speed, well really, it's just dead all over, LOL. A little more weight so you can feel the g-forces against the tires during a curve would be very welcome. Or basically anything that makes me realize SOMETHING is happening up front, haha.
Old 01-28-19, 12:43 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lockedlex
LOL.. Ironically, I'm a board moderator for one of the largest bimmer boards, but after looking at the current generation 3 (after owning 2 E46s) I just couldn't get myself to fall into that hole again. The IS is just a good car overall and can be made to ALMOST drive as well as a BMW, but requires that you KNOW what you want and then "tune" it in with mods--it will admittedly never be 100% as good a BMW (in fact, I don't think it can reach 90%) as far as driving characteristics go. But I don't get an opportunity to drive any car to that limit on a regular basis, so it's nice having a Lexus that can do something really well the other 98%.

Granted, BMW manages to just get it right, from the showroom. My problem is what happens AFTER you drive it off the showroom... it can be a very unpleasant ownership experience.
Lol I completely agree first car was a Lexus dad always had toyotas. My ls400 was bulletproof. After that it was BMW and fords. Last truck was a 07 Navigator hit 100k miles when it got wrecked. A month ago. Navigators engine and transmission were solid but it seemed like everything else would fall apart one by one. Same with my BMWs. (Had a 97 528i and a 2011 328i ) the inline 6 was pretty good .****ty transmission along with everything else falling apart one by one. I've always loved Lexus but they hold there value used so well and litterally BMWs same milage and year are half price here in LA .but after my experience with the 2011 328i I was done with them. So glad to be back to Lexus and know every morning when I get in my car I'ma drive away and that Everytime I need to use a electronic it'll work. Of course it's a machine and they have issues to but they are solid cars
Old 01-28-19, 12:54 AM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by primavera
Lol, even the cupholders have to be overengineered, otherwise you would be thirsty while you waited for the tow truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABO2uBdScjE
Wow! That was enlightening. I've heard of some of those problems, but goodness, there was apparently A LOT more issues. I don't understand some of their thinking with how they engineered things.
Old 02-01-19, 05:10 AM
moses0324
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fb killed a lot of forums...
Old 02-01-19, 12:44 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

are there IS/Lexus FB pages I should be looking at? I don't use FB if I can avoid it.