Code P0606?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 02:40 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Code P0606?

Hey CL,
recently I had a check engine light for an o2 sensor and p0606. I just got the sensor changed and the o2 sensor codes went away but now I have a persistent P0606 PCM error/fault. Anybody experience this code with no other codes?

i thought after replacing the o2 sensor the code would go away as well but it didn't. I read that it may be a bad gas cap but wouldn't I can some evap code? The car runs and drives like normal. Is it normal to replace the ECU in our cars?I also read that there may be an invisible P0607 code that may be there due to aftermarket tail lights shorting? Do I need to use techstream to do some sort of hard reset that a normal obd scanner tool can't do? Tried a few methods removing some fuses to reset the ecu and also taking off the battery terminal to try and reset it but the light comes back on. Is there a feature that if an error code triggers too many times that it stays in the system until you do some sort of special reset?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Old 01-28-19, 05:01 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,259 Posts

What year and how many Km?
This could be a bad capacitor issue or something more serious inside the ECM.

One thing you might do is a battery disconnect and then unplug the ECU and inspect the connectors for discoloration, burns, growth, anything out of the norm.
The following users liked this post:
Aspect (01-28-19)
Old 01-28-19, 07:24 PM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
What year and how many Km?
This could be a bad capacitor issue or something more serious inside the ECM.

One thing you might do is a battery disconnect and then unplug the ECU and inspect the connectors for discoloration, burns, growth, anything out of the norm.
2007 with 152,220kms
I wonder if it could be due to the tune but it's been months and I haven't had any problems with it.
Unplugging the ECU and inspecting the unit would be a good idea thanks I'll give that a shot
Old 01-28-19, 08:24 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

RR? You have the My Genius unit? Can you flash back to stock? The reason I ask is check sum verification.
That said I would say you are at risk if you do this and it crashes, you could be CPU'less if the flash hangs for check sum errors. That said call RR and ask about the check sum algorithm. Can it correct anything?
What do they know?
GL
Old 01-28-19, 08:25 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Do you have an exhaust leak?
You mentioned replacing one 02 sensor. (OEM part?) What brand?
Maybe its the other 02 sensor thats giving a bad signal to the ecu.
Old 01-29-19, 09:09 AM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Do you have an exhaust leak?
You mentioned replacing one 02 sensor. (OEM part?) What brand?
Maybe its the other 02 sensor thats giving a bad signal to the ecu.
I don't think so, would an exhaust leak just trigger the PCM code without other accompanying codes? I might have one post cat right before the o2 sensors. I replaced one of the post cat sensors drivers side - bank 1 sensor 2 I think? with a denso o2 sensor which got rid of the sensor codes.
Old 01-29-19, 11:31 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Aspect
I don't think so, would an exhaust leak just trigger the PCM code without other accompanying codes? I might have one post cat right before the o2 sensors. I replaced one of the post cat sensors drivers side - bank 1 sensor 2 I think? with a denso o2 sensor which got rid of the sensor codes.
How long did you leave the negative terminal for ECU reset?

It takes about 15 mins to wipe it out.
Old 01-29-19, 12:35 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Exhaust leak around the O2 sensor will pick up noise as an output.
Ecu might interpret that as a bad transistor.

If you have a scanner, check your live voltage and impedence readings on both O2 sensors.
Vehicle all warmed up.
I want to see if there are different from another.
Aspect (01-29-19)
Old 01-29-19, 01:15 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Exhaust leak around the O2 sensor will pick up noise as an output.
Ecu might interpret that as a bad transistor.

If you have a scanner, check your live voltage and impedence readings on both O2 sensors.
Vehicle all warmed up.
I want to see if there are different from another.
I found this earlier.
http://carspecmn.com/p0606-ecmpcm-pr...n-repair-tips/
Aspect (01-29-19)
Old 01-29-19, 02:03 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Give it time. That code should go away on its own since you've replaced the bad O2 sensor. It might just take a couple of days or a few heat cycles.
Aspect (01-29-19)
Old 01-29-19, 03:19 PM
Aspect
Racer

Thanks guys. I'll try everything on the weekend. Appreciate the feedback!
Old 01-29-19, 10:55 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone look up that code? Not your normal bad input kinda thing....
Time will tell I guess.
Old 02-15-19, 10:34 AM
Aspect
Racer

Not to bump my own thread but I went back in the shop today. Still just the P0606 code so it didn't really go away on it's own. I messaged RR racing about the tune causing a CEL but they said it isn't related, but I could flash it back to stock to try to see if it solves anything. Checked the connectors on the ECU and all of them look good - nice and shiny. After restarting the car I thought the code went away but the CEL came back within seconds.I fear that this will be a bit of a goose chase to find out what's actually causing it.
Old 02-15-19, 11:42 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Not to bump my own thread but I went back in the shop today. Still just the P0606 code so it didn't really go away on it's own. I messaged RR racing about the tune causing a CEL but they said it isn't related, but I could flash it back to stock to try to see if it solves anything. Checked the connectors on the ECU and all of them look good - nice and shiny. After restarting the car I thought the code went away but the CEL came back within seconds.I fear that this will be a bit of a goose chase to find out what's actually causing it.
If you know you O2 sensor is good.
No exhaust leaks around the O2.
Wiring.
Then it could be a bad capacitor/transistor in the ECU.

You mentioned you put an O2 already.
Was it new and what brand?
Might try a new OEM/Denso O2 sensor for a “cheap” throw the dart, roll the dice and see if it solves the issue.
Old 02-15-19, 12:18 PM
Aspect
Racer

If you know you O2 sensor is good.
No exhaust leaks around the O2.
Wiring.
Then it could be a bad capacitor/transistor in the ECU.

You mentioned you put an O2 already.
Was it new and what brand?
Might try a new OEM/Denso O2 sensor for a “cheap” throw the dart, roll the dice and see if it solves the issue.
Oh sorry I forgot you asked me that earlier and I didn't respond. I replaced the faulty o2 sensor with a brand new Denso O2 sensor. Next I think I'll go with your suggestion to check for exhaust leaks. I'll have my shop redo my flange and gasket right after the main cats because they suspect there may be a leak, but if it was leaking I'm surprised it didn't throw a code earlier since the area has been on my to-do list for a while.

I also did a quick youtube search on the code as well and someone mentioned that they solved it by removing their chip tune which could very well be my solution as well. Currently in the process of that, but alast I've run into another error with this Dim Sport OBD unit not allowing me to reflash my stock file back to my ECU... One thing after another. To be updated next week

Quick Reply: Code P0606?