IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

new to the is world looking for audio system upgrade info

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 05:45 PM
Rosser027
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking new to the is world looking for audio system upgrade info

hey guys, so to make a long story short i was last in an e90 3 series that got totaled last week... wasn't my fault tho. so now im in an 09 is250 awd nav non mark levinson. the sound system in this car is mediocre at best and i just cant have that, in my bimmer i was able to swap the stock amp for a jbl ms8 and i retained all functions Bluetooth phone calls, able to use the volume *** on radio, steering wheel etc...
so to start i would like to do the same and strictly replace the stock amp with the ms8 i know wiring is gonna be a bit** but im capable. ive read on many threads (and cannot get a straight answer) if i completely take out the old amp and replace it with the ms8 will i lose any OEM functions? such as the oem volume controls, Bluetooth calling, etc.. and does the navi talk to the amp at all ?

if that is the case and i will loose some oem functions are there work arounds that could fix that? im sure yall get the gist of whats up.

down the line not too long from now im gonna end up doing the rest of the system.

TIA for any help guys!
Old 01-28-19, 08:06 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosser027
hey guys, so to make a long story short i was last in an e90 3 series that got totaled last week... wasn't my fault tho. so now im in an 09 is250 awd nav non mark levinson. the sound system in this car is mediocre at best and i just cant have that, in my bimmer i was able to swap the stock amp for a jbl ms8 and i retained all functions Bluetooth phone calls, able to use the volume *** on radio, steering wheel etc...
so to start i would like to do the same and strictly replace the stock amp with the ms8 i know wiring is gonna be a bit** but im capable. ive read on many threads (and cannot get a straight answer) if i completely take out the old amp and replace it with the ms8 will i lose any OEM functions? such as the oem volume controls, Bluetooth calling, etc.. and does the navi talk to the amp at all ?

if that is the case and i will loose some oem functions are there work arounds that could fix that? im sure yall get the gist of whats up.

down the line not too long from now im gonna end up doing the rest of the system.

TIA for any help guys!
Hmm. I dont really get why you want to take all this time to do this but of course it can be done . The steering wheel controls don't go to the amp. They stay to the headunit. And the amp gets signals from the headunit. So steering wheel controls are gonna work. I just don't get why all the labor to leave the system stock in the end. Why not leave the stock amp. Get your self a nice amp. And at least do the front 2 speakers if not all 4? I personally would not pay or do all that labor for such a small improvement
Old 01-28-19, 08:31 PM
Rosser027
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
Hmm. I dont really get why you want to take all this time to do this but of course it can be done . The steering wheel controls don't go to the amp. They stay to the headunit. And the amp gets signals from the headunit. So steering wheel controls are gonna work. I just don't get why all the labor to leave the system stock in the end. Why not leave the stock amp. Get your self a nice amp. And at least do the front 2 speakers if not all 4? I personally would not pay or do all that labor for such a small improvement
it’s just my first step because I already have it, and I want to see how much it improves just from that and base what I’m going to do to the system off of that
Old 01-28-19, 11:11 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

it’s just my first step because I already have it, and I want to see how much it improves just from that and base what I’m going to do to the system off of that
got you if you don't mind doing it why not. A speaker upgrade is gonna be up for me soon. Have a 1500watt Rms system in the trunk so I turn base completely down on headunit and there crystal clear but the speakers are just quite. What do you use for sound connection? Are you just using an aux cable?
Old 01-29-19, 12:49 PM
Rosser027
Driver School Candidate

using the aux now, was going to look into adding a usb in the lex but i havent looked into if itll work or not. and just to confirm... i wont lose bluetooth calling and navi beeps when i click, right?
Old 01-29-19, 01:17 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

using the aux now, was going to look into adding a usb in the lex but i havent looked into if itll work or not. and just to confirm... i wont lose bluetooth calling and navi beeps when i click, right?
The first step I would take is buy a Mpow aux to Bluetooth with a ground loop isolater there like $25-30 with amazAm prime. Itll give you a much cleaner sound then just aux. The aux on these cars at least mine sounds like crap. And you can connect your phone to both the car it's self and to the Mpow so calling still goes through the navigation. And I'm really not sure what you mean by loosing Navi beeps and calling beeps? My bad
Old 01-29-19, 03:23 PM
Rosser027
Driver School Candidate

ill look into them thx, you know when you click something on the nav or the dash the beep it makes lol
Old 01-29-19, 06:50 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

ill look into them thx, you know when you click something on the nav or the dash the beep it makes lol
Oh yeah if done right you won't loose anything on the headunit. The only way I see you loosing anything is if your wiring is screwed up
Old 01-30-19, 12:03 AM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Deaden your doors and rear deck. Best thing I did. And then added a sub and new tweeters a couple years later
Old 01-30-19, 12:26 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
Deaden your doors and rear deck. Best thing I did. And then added a sub and new tweeters a couple years later
Yeah it makes a difference. My whole trunk,rear deck and lisence plates are dynomatted. Pretty cheap and easy to do. The rear deck probably takes the longest since you have to remove the upper part of the seats
Old 01-30-19, 05:50 PM
Rosser027
Driver School Candidate

appreciate the help my dudes! yea i have a box of dynamat sitting in the garage waiting for me! either i haven't been looking in the right spots, either way does anybody have some wiring diagrams or links to them that would be helpful to me? cheers guys!