IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Crashed is350, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 04:41 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn bro, you hadn't added any pics when I replied. Seeing that is is a bummer, I wasn't expecting it to look like that. As Zmon mentioned, and others, gut the interior (seats, panels, mirror, and dash etc). You can at least get a decent amount back for all of it, assuming the condition is good. Yup, time and patience to sell online is what it takes. Also good to hear your neck is the only issue, it could have been much worse. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, keep it up and move forward. Paz.
The following users liked this post:
HartFB (02-05-19)
Old 02-04-19, 07:24 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah that sucks. Has happened to me and I just learned that paying for full coverage is totally worth it. But if you have space gut the whole interior. And any little trim peices like the girls ect. And just scrap it. You can get some $ from it. At least it was high milage and the car made it pretty far in it's life
Old 02-04-19, 09:43 PM
EZLex
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn man...that really blows. Sorry for your loss. But youre right, its just a car and you got out unscathed, thats what matters! **** happens. Parting it out would be your best route id imagine, looks like theres still some good stuff in decent shape thatd have value, not a total loss! If you have the factory amp and it works and the front grille, i'd be interested in buying!
HartFB (02-05-19)
Old 02-05-19, 07:31 AM
4g63Rules
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if your seats and door panels are in really good condition and be willing to ship, maybe we can work out a deal for the interior stuff. Front/Rear seats, door panels, etc. If you got pictures of everything, let me know.
HartFB (02-05-19)
Old 02-05-19, 12:23 PM
Allan1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With 190k miles there is nothing to take from that car. Total loss.
Old 02-05-19, 02:07 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Well, it'll never be the same again, that's for sure. I'd just part it out and purchase something else.
Old 02-05-19, 02:07 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

so ive bought and torn down cars a few times in my life due to accidents and/or as a way to make extra cash (buy crashed car like a 98 240sx with frame damage and part it out)

3 things you need to do part out.
1. time- doing it solo especially the first time is a learning process. not just this but sitting on parts for a while waiting for someone to need that door motor will take a while some times.

2. tools- if you dont already have tool (basic socket set and panel remover tools, jack, stands, etc.) dont bother because your gonna be spending money and going further in the hole. UNLESS you have good friends willing to lend you tools, and you yourself are responsible with other people property.

3. space. a parted out car takes up a hell of a lot of room.

also given the cars mileage and model, its not a specialty vehicle that has any real "rare" parts. yes some doors are in good condition, maybe one headlight salvageable.

personal opinion from what ive read and see. just junk it. itll be a way less of a headache in the long run. unless all 3 above apply, even still id say maybe looking at potentially in the long run a low return. and thats you hustling in posting parts availability and looking for people that need your parts and so on.

I even used to go to junkyards and pull parts for people. thats how much of a grind it was for me when i didn't have actual income.

wish you luck OP. and remember the car can be replaced. you cant.
HartFB (02-05-19)
Old 02-05-19, 02:14 PM
HartFB
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys again for the comments I really appreciate you guys taking the time out of your day for the advice and kind words.

As an update I did sell the car today for $1100.

Time to move on and move forward, whether I get another Lexus soon is a tough question but without a doubt I'll return to the Lexus family in future at some point. Might have to step down and date Lexus' ugly sister Toyota for a little while
Old 02-05-19, 02:15 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HartFB
Thank you guys again for the comments I really appreciate you guys taking the time out of your day for the advice and kind words.

As an update I did sell the car today for $1100.

Time to move on and move forward, whether I get another Lexus soon is a tough question but without a doubt I'll return to the Lexus family in future at some point. Might have to step down and date Lexus' ugly sister Toyota for a little while
good call my dude. wish you luck.
HartFB (02-05-19)
Old 02-06-19, 11:20 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Good Lord in heaven. Forget the Lexus sister, get a Nissan Versa or a Kia Rio. That way if you "hydroplane" the car is plastic soda can and you could drive that around busted without nobody worrying. If I was a street racer, I would kick your butt. If I was your father, I would kick your butt. If I was You I would kick my own butt. Its a BIG lesson to say to myself, "Hey slow down a bit, I don't want to wreck the freakin car and get laughed at". how many times did you say oh my god? followed by oh ****. bout 5 times.
Old 02-06-19, 11:34 AM
HartFB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Drizell
Good Lord in heaven. Forget the Lexus sister, get a Nissan Versa or a Kia Rio. That way if you "hydroplane" the car is plastic soda can and you could drive that around busted without nobody worrying. If I was a street racer, I would kick your butt. If I was your father, I would kick your butt. If I was You I would kick my own butt. Its a BIG lesson to say to myself, "Hey slow down a bit, I don't want to wreck the freakin car and get laughed at". how many times did you say oh my god? followed by oh ****. bout 5 times.
Was going 50 in a 55 so I wasn't even speeding. Wasn't street racing, I was alone coming back from work. This was my first accident I've ever been in so while I appreciate your attempt spread your said "knowledge", I'd suggest you calm your ego down a bit and just continue to hide behind your keyboard.
Old 02-06-19, 11:37 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

get laughed at.
I dont think anyone is laughing. If they are, clearly they have issues and should not be behind the wheel themselves.

Last edited by Wh0pp3r; 02-06-19 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 12:03 PM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 02-06-19, 12:14 PM
HartFB
Rookie

Yikes, laughing at others' misfortune. Karma can be a real ***** sometimes, that's all I have to say.
Old 02-06-19, 12:27 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah, seriously that was NOT cool.

My first reaction was to also suggest he slow down, but none of us were there. Yes, obviously, by definition, since the OP hydroplaned, he was technically going "too fast for the conditions." However, as he described it, he hit a patch of drain water that was running across the onramp (or something like that), that's something that's hard to predict if the rest of the road seemed fine.

Hence, that's why it's called an accident. He walked away.. no report was filed, no insurance claim made, no one else got hurt. Considering everything, it ended up pretty well in the grand scheme of things.

Hart, don't worry about it, everyone's got an opinion. Just glad you're OK and yeah, cars can be replaced.
HartFB (02-06-19)

Quick Reply: Crashed is350, need opinions