IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Crashed is350, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 06:29 PM
HartFB
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crashed is350, need opinions

Hey guys so I crashed my 2006 is350 today and I was able to get it back to my house without a report getting filed or anything. I hydroplaned pretty bad at about 50mph and hit the center divider to avoid the vehicle next and then slammed hard into the wall on the opposite side once rebounding off of the center divider and messed up my passenger side. I think the vehicle is totaled, passenger side airbag deployed, rear axel and rim snapped, and front bumper and headlight are busted. Engine still runs and internally mechanically every thing seems sound with the exception of what I have listed. I have liability only insurance and the vehicle is still technically holding a clean title. Since insurance won't do anything for me I just don't really know where to go from here, what should I do with the car?

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-03-19, 06:36 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If the other person is at fault, which there wasn't, they would pay. You are out of luck my friend. It will be a very hefty bill so you could pay for it or part out your car. Drive that bish til tha wheels fall off. Just my opinion though.
Old 02-03-19, 06:57 PM
HartFB
Rookie

Originally Posted by srt1
If the other person is at fault, which there wasn't, they would pay. You are out of luck my friend. It will be a very hefty bill so you could pay for it or part out your car. Drive that bish til tha wheels fall off. Just my opinion though.
Oh the wheel fell off, here are some pics

Old 02-03-19, 07:31 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you have the cash to put in to it ?
Buy used suspension parts , wheel and headlight.
Old 02-03-19, 11:36 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Petet
I agree it'll cost some money but if you can source all the parts off a junkyard car it won't be too bad to get it on the raod running again and then fix cosmetics as you go.
Old 02-04-19, 12:41 AM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Depends on your end goal, if you want it as a daily driver... You're pretty much done, total it and part it out. It would cost too much and will never be the same.

If you just want it as a beater, you can get it drivable, but it's gonna cost you even then. Might not be worth it

It's a pity, looks like you kept it in good shape too.

Did you get the passenger airbag recall done?
Old 02-04-19, 06:33 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I think that's done... probably be better off getting another one. That's just me tho
Old 02-04-19, 08:16 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,260 Posts

The quarter panel damage is a show stopper for anyone to fix properly. Some might scab a used section but even that would be costly. Did it crush the rocker panel under the door too?

Lights, bumpers, door are all doable but.....
Old 02-04-19, 09:01 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Yeah, sorry dude, it def looks like it would be totaled to me. You can always look for a cut off rear quarter panel and have it welded in, but I'd be concerned about how it would drive after all the damage it took. Gonna have to ask, how's the tread on your tires? That street doesn't appear to be flooded or anything, so you really shouldn't be hydroplaning.
Old 02-04-19, 09:46 AM
Josh2002cc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you hit your wheel hard enough to cause that much damage, I would be concerned about frame damage behind the wheel. I would take a hard look and maybe take measurements to see if you bent the frame and/or suspension components back there. Even if there is damage, you could have a frame shop attempt to repair it.

Sorry about your luck but in the end, it seems like you are okay and that is what is important.
Old 02-04-19, 09:59 AM
4g63Rules
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There really is no telling how much damage there is under the car without getting it up in the air. That impact probably destroyed everything in the rear end, suspension, and most likely frame damage as well. Best bet would be to part the entire car out and recoup any money you can and start over. If you had nice tan front seats, I'd be interested in those.
Old 02-04-19, 11:08 AM
HartFB
Rookie

I'd just like to say thank you for you guys and your posts. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by 4g63Rules
There really is no telling how much damage there is under the car without getting it up in the air. That impact probably destroyed everything in the rear end, suspension, and most likely frame damage as well. Best bet would be to part the entire car out and recoup any money you can and start over. If you had nice tan front seats, I'd be interested in those.
I'd say the whole back right end is toast, tower driver said frame looked bent so I'm not too optimistic. Overall the point of this thread was what to do with it, I tried some salvage yards and they gave me offers in the $400-800 range which really just blows. Sadly, I had the all black interior so no tan here, car was in great shape though.

Originally Posted by Josh2002cc
If you hit your wheel hard enough to cause that much damage, I would be concerned about frame damage behind the wheel. I would take a hard look and maybe take measurements to see if you bent the frame and/or suspension components back there. Even if there is damage, you could have a frame shop attempt to repair it.

Sorry about your luck but in the end, it seems like you are okay and that is what is important.
Yeah, as stated above the tow truck driver said it looked like it was bent so the whole back right is just done. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go as far as recoop'ing my losses.

And thank you, it could've been worse for sure. Cars are replaceable, lives aren't.

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
The quarter panel damage is a show stopper for anyone to fix properly. Some might scab a used section but even that would be costly. Did it crush the rocker panel under the door too?

Lights, bumpers, door are all doable but.....
I'm gonna guess everything behind the right rear door is toast. I know the engine and everything up front is alright as well as everything on the inside with the exception of the top airbag on the passenger side.

Originally Posted by Aspect
I think that's done... probably be better off getting another one. That's just me tho
I think so too, I'm just trying get opinions on the best way off getting the most I can back.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by lockedlex
Depends on your end goal, if you want it as a daily driver... You're pretty much done, total it and part it out. It would cost too much and will never be the same.

If you just want it as a beater, you can get it drivable, but it's gonna cost you even then. Might not be worth it

It's a pity, looks like you kept it in good shape too.

Did you get the passenger airbag recall done?
I think the cost of repairs outweighs the value of the car itself, its got 190k on it. More so just looking for advice or outlets on how I can get some money back, as I stated in a comment above the $400-800 dollar offers just seem like a waste, the seats alone are worth that. And no, I hadn't had the passenger airbad recall done yet.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
I agree it'll cost some money but if you can source all the parts off a junkyard car it won't be too bad to get it on the raod running again and then fix cosmetics as you go.
With 190k on the clock I think the damage outweighs the value, I'm more so looking for outlets or recommendations to get some money back.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Petet
I think it'll take more than that to get it running, it looks like the quarter panel is folded over the wheel gap.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Zmon
Yeah, sorry dude, it def looks like it would be totaled to me. You can always look for a cut off rear quarter panel and have it welded in, but I'd be concerned about how it would drive after all the damage it took. Gonna have to ask, how's the tread on your tires? That street doesn't appear to be flooded or anything, so you really shouldn't be hydroplaning.
I had yokohoma's that are about 6 months old on them, plenty of tread, the street wasn't flood but the bridge in the background has an outlet from where the rain from the freeway above drains down and then crosses over the street. It's been pouring in my part of california lately so i'm guessing it when I hit that from dry pave from under the bridge it just wet the tires too fast and let it loose. In addition I had traction control disabled due to a Check VSC code error that I had from my exhaust that I had procrastinated on getting fixed so i'm sure that didn't help.

Last edited by HartFB; 02-04-19 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 11:28 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

I would just part out what you can then. Engine and tranny are high mileage so you won't get much, if anything for them. If you've got the time to part out stuff one by one, then go for it. eBay, Craigslist, etc. Headunit, seats, airbags (it doesnt look like you popped them?), speakers, door panels and dash (assuming they were replaced), or anything really not damaged that can be taken off to make a few bucks. Whatever is left just take to the junk yard.
The following users liked this post:
HartFB (02-04-19)
Old 02-04-19, 12:07 PM
lockedlex
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah, sorry, it seems like it was a confluence of bad luck (no VSC, rain draining, speed, etc). Also with 190k, yes you're right, even in perfect condition that car isn't worth much. You can try parting it out yourself, but you need the space to do that and a place to keep the inventory, plus the time dedicated to post things. Unfortunately, with 190k, most mechanical parts aren't worth much anyway. If you can even get 500 for it, it would probably be worth it.

Cut your losses short, spend the hours it would have taken you to part it out and just get an extra job (or whatever), you'd end up making a lot more money that way.

Also, consider yourself lucky there was no CHP or ins. involved... that alone probably saved you thousands.
The following users liked this post:
HartFB (02-04-19)
Old 02-04-19, 12:36 PM
HartFB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zmon
I would just part out what you can then. Engine and tranny are high mileage so you won't get much, if anything for them. If you've got the time to part out stuff one by one, then go for it. eBay, Craigslist, etc. Headunit, seats, airbags (it doesnt look like you popped them?), speakers, door panels and dash (assuming they were replaced), or anything really not damaged that can be taken off to make a few bucks. Whatever is left just take to the junk yard.
I've been doing some research on it and it looks like I won't be able to get much, I found something that will give me $500 to the car as is regardless of whats in it as long as the mechanical internals are there, what are some of the main components I should look at removing that are worth the effort? Obviously the seats and head unit and others that you mentioned, what is worth pulling out from the inside?

Originally Posted by lockedlex
Yeah, sorry, it seems like it was a confluence of bad luck (no VSC, rain draining, speed, etc). Also with 190k, yes you're right, even in perfect condition that car isn't worth much. You can try parting it out yourself, but you need the space to do that and a place to keep the inventory, plus the time dedicated to post things. Unfortunately, with 190k, most mechanical parts aren't worth much anyway. If you can even get 500 for it, it would probably be worth it.

Cut your losses short, spend the hours it would have taken you to part it out and just get an extra job (or whatever), you'd end up making a lot more money that way.

Also, consider yourself lucky there was no CHP or ins. involved... that alone probably saved you thousands.
I consider myself lucky to just be out with a sore neck lol, everything else is just a cherry on top at this point. Cars will always be replaceable. Like I mentioned to Zmon I think that's the route I'm going to pursue, just take out the main/popular components and give the rest to the company for the 500 bucks.

Quick Reply: Crashed is350, need opinions