IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Misaligned hood?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 11:46 AM
Caramelel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misaligned hood?

hey everyone! My hood and quarter panels don’t line up, I don’t know if it’s my hood or my quarter panels? Can anyone help? How would I be able to fix this if it’s my hood or quarter panel?
I’ll upload better pictures when I get to my car.
Old 02-20-19, 12:49 PM
Caramelel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-20-19, 07:42 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I wrote a how too on alignment. That could be as simple as sliding the latch over. The trick is to open the hood and remove the striker and lower the hood slowly.

How is your gap now? If it's fixed, great. Install the striker and move the hood latch over until it does.

Let me look and see if I can find the thread....
OK it doesn't cover what we need here.
Gonna eat and get back to you.

Have to slam the hood to close it.

[https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...threads-5.html
Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I looked through this whole thing and not one person opted to adjust the damn thing to close how they like it? Mine drops from 4" and is a solid nice latch. No issues.

When closed is the hood flush with fenders on both sides or is it above or below the fenders?
When closed and firm pressure is applied to the center section near the latch, does it press down any further at all?

If the hood is above the fender at all, open it and screw the rubber bump stops down and test it. There is one on each side. They screw up and down.
If the hood is level with the fenders, remove the covers and adjust the center latch up just a few mm. Test fit.

Adjust bump stops only to level fender and hood to achieve flush appearance. Adjust center latch such that hood latches easily but does NOT push down further once latched. A mm or 2 is fine but excess movement allows it to flutter at highway speed. That's it. Done. Tighten the bolts adjusted! DO NOT Over tighten them.

**DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not responsible for you working on your car. **
Make certain the safety latch hooks when done.
Make certain the main latch hooks and the hood can not be lifted by hand.
Old 02-20-19, 09:15 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Has it been wrecked?
First step is to grab a tape measure and measure from the edge of the fender diagonally across to edge of the fender near the windshield. Repeat maintaining the same tension on the tape and compare the numbers.
The fenders actually have holes made just for this purpose. Look for them. Use them. Are your values within 1 mm? If yes, measure the gap across the front of the fenders from side to side.
Repeat near the windshield. Record values.
Close the hood. Measure the width of the hood in the same places. Is the gap equal?

If yes remove the striker and slowly lower the hood. Is it shifted the same amount or did it correct itself making an equal gap? If you have an equal gap, go up one post and follow that.
If not, you need to shift the hood on the mounting hinge bolts. Open the hood and loosen the hood bolts on the side which the hood hangs over the fender the furthest and slide it back and small amount and tighten the bolts.
I'd suggest marking the hood with a sharpie before moving it.
Now slowly lower the hood. Is the gap equal?
If yes, follow the process in prior post.

If no, repeat process... BTW your bump stops or hood is adjusted two low. So, I'd start by removing the striker and fitting the hood.

Let us know how it goes.