IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need opinions; lexus possibly damaged vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 07:24 AM
OldLs400
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Need opinions; lexus possibly damaged vehicle

My 2012 IS350c was brought in for the fuel rail recall by the previous owner a few months ago. The recall was completed.

I own the vehicle now. I was replacing the spark plugs and shortly afterward I notice that a rubber high pressure fuel line is ripped almost completely through. The hose also looks slightly twisted, which is unusual, as the hose is original (date stamp: 11/11/12) and I doubt whoever put the car together in Japan would have let the car leave the factory like that. The hose also says "DO NOT KINK" prominently in both English and Chinese or Japanese (I believe).

Not thinking anything more of the incident, I call my local Lexus dealer to order a replacement fuel line. The parts guy said we never sell this part, what are you doing? And did you know, sir, that a related part was recently recalled? I was like yep, I know about the recall, it was done, and I'm not ordering the same part that was recalled because that would be dumb. Now can I order my parts? The parts guy said: I bet you that the dealer who did the work damaged this fuel hose because it's connected to the part that was recalled. They needed to have moved this fuel hose out of the way.

Things suddenly started making sense. I've had many Toyotas/Lexus and I've never dealt with a ripped fuel hose even though several were 15+ years old and severely neglected. The hose looked a little twisted too in the vehicle. It's not a commonly replaced item. And here I am, with a rubber fuel hose that's ripped in two directions--both circumferentially around the metal pipe and vertically up and down the metal pipe to which it attaches.

The parts guy insists that I call the servicing dealer before I order the part. I call the servicing dealer and they want an official diagnosis. I don't want to pay $100 or whatever it is for a diag just to maybe get the hose covered. I'd rather pay the $150 and replace the fuel line and be done with it. My wife however insists that I have the people who screwed up make things right. The problem is that I doubt anyone is going to own up to their mistake. What would you do?

http://imgur.com/gallery/8EL9kjk
Old 03-14-19, 07:35 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I'd insist the diagnosis cost will count towards the hose fix, not to exceed the cost of replacing the fuel line in total
Old 03-14-19, 07:41 AM
OldLs400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'd insist the diagnosis cost will count towards the hose fix, not to exceed the cost of replacing the fuel line in total
That's the thing--I don't want to pay the diag only for the offending dealer to say "nope, not our problem." Then I'd be out the diag fee and have to order the part. Now, if I could guarantee that a diagnosis is all I needed to get the part fixed...I'd go for the diag every time.
Old 03-14-19, 07:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Right, what I'm suggesting is to tell them you expect if they're in there they will do the work for the same price, regardless of diagnosis outcome since 1) it is a simple visual inspection of a hose and 2) it was likely due to their error.
Old 03-14-19, 08:45 AM
OldLs400
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice. Wow, I just went in to Lexus and the first thing the advisor said was why didn't you make an appointment. She didn't even bother to tell me her name. And she basically told me to pound sand. The shop foreman will take a look later but that's all I managed to negotiate out of her.
Old 03-14-19, 11:57 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by OldLs400
Thanks for the advice. Wow, I just went in to Lexus and the first thing the advisor said was why didn't you make an appointment. She didn't even bother to tell me her name. And she basically told me to pound sand. The shop foreman will take a look later but that's all I managed to negotiate out of her.
For actual service things like these, dealers typically require appointments considering they may be booked with other customers/whomever has the knowhow may not have the time to look at it that day and do what you want them to do. Obv case by case basis depending on how busy the dealers service department gets every day. Going in for just an oil change though? Walk ins are usually fine.