IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check Headlight System Warning Message

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 12:15 PM
jdc916
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Headlight System Warning Message

So after checking to see which bulbs I needed for my 2011 IS250 F Sport and putting everything back together, the Check Headlight System warning message came up in the display after driving the car for about 3 hours. I had checked to make sure the lights worked which they did and did not see any obvious issues. The owners manual says this is a "malfunction in the headlight leveling system." Which come to think of it, the beams would lower then raise when the headlights were first turned on in the past, but I don't think they are doing that now. And it does have the XID bulbs. I just checked the leveling system mechanically and that all looks ok. I reseated the connector on the component in the wheel well, but still have the warning message. I had posted another problem where the low beams were flickering and a few people recommended replacing the bulbs due to age. However, the above mentioned warning message was not at that time displayed. I then called the dealer and asked my service advisor what he thought based on what was happening with the low beams, and also told him that the warning message was also part of the problem. He too recommended replacing the bulbs and that should clear both issues.

While I was waiting for the bulbs to come in, and ever since the headlight system warning message came on, the bulbs don't flicker anymore !!! But that message was still there !!

Well, the new bulbs have been installed just to see if that would turn off the warning message. Guess what, the new bulbs didnt fix the warning message, it's still there.

Is there a fuse somewhere for those motors because I dont see one and none are blown that I can tell. Why would both motors be out ?
Any ideas ???

Last edited by jdc916; 03-14-19 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 02:33 PM
jdc916
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So after much investigation and a lot of reading of this site, I have determined that what is happening is that the headlights do not do their turn on dance or reset....whatever you want to call it, they arent doing it. I have checked the auto leveling fuses and the linkages on the drivers side front and rear suspensions, reseated the connectors on both, reseated the connectors on the leveling motors, all to no avail. Since both sides dont do it, I'm thinking it's electrical, but I can not find a wiring diagram.

If anyone has any other ideas before I tear in to this, please let me know !

Thanks

Last edited by jdc916; 03-20-19 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-06-21, 06:32 PM
Jao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Just wondering if you ever got this fixed?
Getting the "check headlight system" alert on my 2011 is350 awd.
Old 11-10-21, 09:26 AM
Someguy21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdc916
So after much investigation and a lot of reading of this site, I have determined that what is happening is that the headlights do not do their turn on dance or reset....whatever you want to call it, they arent doing it. I have checked the auto leveling fuses and the linkages on the drivers side front and rear suspensions, reseated the connectors on both, reseated the connectors on the leveling motors, all to no avail. Since both sides dont do it, I'm thinking it's electrical, but I can not find a wiring diagram.

If anyone has any other ideas before I tear in to this, please let me know !

Thanks
Have you checked that the headlights are not at the end of their adjustment range? This may prevent the auto leveling motors from working and cause an error
Old 11-30-21, 09:44 PM
Slomeee
Driver School Candidate

Got same issue on my RX350 fsport and the dealer doesn’t seem to be able to find the issue as this is my fourth time to take it them to fix it, every time I go they replace something but no luck (they replaced computer and one of leveling related cables).
Old 04-11-22, 12:24 PM
Slomeee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slomeee
Got same issue on my RX350 fsport and the dealer doesn’t seem to be able to find the issue as this is my fourth time to take it them to fix it, every time I go they replace something but no luck (they replaced computer and one of leveling related cables).
UPDATE

the dealer still couldn’t figure out the issue, but I observed that the message didn’t show up during winter season as much as summer or warm season.
I found whenever the outside temperature is lower than 20c the message doesn’t appear but when it’s near 30c it’s comes up within minutes