IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlights keep dying / light not strong enough

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19 | 12:16 PM
Nebel
Rookie

Default Headlights keep dying / light not strong enough

Every 6-12 months I have to replace one of the headlights (half/dipped ones). Sometimes it's left, sometimes right one. They don't both die at the same time.
I can't seem to figure out what's the problem. Thought I might ask some of the experts here before I take it to a mechanic, maybe it's something simple.
The battery is new-ish, about 3 years old. The car starts first try even in harsh cold winters we have in Sweden. So I'm not sure if it's an electrical issue.
Also, I'm not sure if this is a typical Lexus IS thing, but I think my dimmed headlights are not strong enough, even though I buy the more expensive Nightbreaker bulbs. Every other car seems to have a lot stronger lights, lol.
The car is 2006 model IS 250 and it's only the dimmed headlights that die. Full headlights and position lights have been working for years.
Any idea? Very thankful for any tips.
Old 04-10-19 | 12:35 PM
Zmon
Racer

I'm assuming your car is using halogens. Those expensive bulbs usually last shorter lives than the cheaper bulbs. Halogens are usually rated for 400 hours, while I believe the Nightbreakers are rated at 300 hours. The higher heat from those brighter bulbs kill them faster. Assuming you're using the headlights every day, the hours work out for the most part for the life you're saying you get out of them. Try some regular long-life bulbs.

As for the projectors themselves, they aren't the best. Both the HID and halogens are pretty poor. The headlight assemblies aren't faded or anything are they?

Last edited by Zmon; 04-10-19 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-10-19 | 12:40 PM
Nebel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zmon
I'm assuming your car is using halogens. Those expensive bulbs usually last shorter lives than the cheaper bulbs. Halogens are usually rated for 400 hours, while I believe the Nightbreakers are rated at 300 hours. The higher heat from those brighter bulbs kill them faster. Assuming you're using the headlights every day, the hours work out for the most part for the life you're saying you get out of them. Try some regular long-life bulbs.

As for the projectors themselves, they aren't the best (both the HID and halogens are pretty poor). The headlight assemblies aren't faded or anything are they?
Thanks for a quick reply!

You might be onto something. Since you mentioned, it could be that they have passed their lifespan. It's not just that I'm using them every day, but in Sweden, the law states we must have lights on constantly during the time we drive the car, regardless if it's sunny middle of the day or pitch black night.

Would polishing the headlights help? I've done it at the same time I changed the battery (3 years ago), but I'm no expert at that and honestly after I did it, I barely noticed any difference.
Old 04-10-19 | 12:47 PM
Zmon
Racer

If they're not faded/yellowed, polishing them won't make a difference. I'm not too sure how common IS's are in Sweden, but it wouldn't hurt to possibly find another IS owner with halogens and compare light output?

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned your lights need to be on at all times. Does that mean the low beams actually need to be on, or are you just using the DRLs during the daytime? Here in the States, the 06-10 IS's DRLs utilize the high beam bulb at a fluctuating voltage (iirc, its +3/+6 volts) which produces a lower amount of light for day time use.