IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Worth contacting Lexus regarding sticky dash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 07:44 PM
CR055
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth contacting Lexus regarding sticky dash?

So my IS 350 too is a victim of the sticky dashboard issue. I recently bought this car a few months ago and at the time of purchase I did take notice of the "shiny" look of the dashboard. I assumed the previous owner just sprayed some leather cleaner or something on the dash and that I could just clean it off. However I've noticed in my few months of owning the car that the dashboard is continually getting worse. There's now parts on the dash that have seemingly melted and there's cracks near the glove box and steering wheel. Any time the car is parked in the sun, the dashboard appears shiny and glossy and is sticky to the touch.

Now my IS 350 is from 2007, and the replacement program for it ended last year. I wasn't aware of it as I just bought the car. However I believe Lexus is still replacing dashboards for 2008 and newer IS models. And I'm sure there are customers who are still in line to get their dashboard replaced from last year's program.

Is it really worth fighting Lexus regarding it? Is there even some hope that they may listen? The dashboard is really the only flaw of my interior, plus the sticky feel is quite annoying.
Old 04-12-19, 08:08 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 184 Posts

You can call them, but they'll most likely tell you to go pound sand since the previous owner would of had numerous mailers sent to them telling them about this issue to come get it fixed (I got 2 or 3 iirc).
Old 04-12-19, 08:09 PM
CR055
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zmon
You can call them, but they'll most likely tell you to go pound sand since the previous owner would of had numerous mailers sent to them telling them about this issue to come get it fixed (I got 2 or 3 iirc).
Well, I don't HAVE to mention that I recently bought the car. Unless they specifically ask why I didn't get the mailer.
Old 04-13-19, 02:45 AM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I was in same situation as you. Seller ripped me off and said it was under recall and I could get it fixed. He said he was on the list. I should of asked for proof.

He also sprayed tons of armor all to hide the issue. After I cleaned it all off and sprayed water based dressing such as 303 protectant dash was better but panels were horrible.

i called Lexus customer support and talked to different reps and managers for a month. In the end they pretty much said I’m out of luck. Their exact words were we decline to help you!

i just bought 2 used door panels from eBay. And I plan on buying a dash and installing myself.

I believe in karma u see conditions like this. The guy that sold it to me mislead me...
Old 04-13-19, 04:18 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Why wouldn’t you contact them? Worst thing they can say is no right?
Old 04-13-19, 07:25 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You can try but good luck. My dash had 2 small cracks in it when I bought it. Actually thought they were factory the way they looked . It’s also getting sticky by the windshield. Then I had the airbag recall done and they made it worse. After many emails and calls I got no where. The cost of the dash is not that bad. If your mechanically inclined there’s a good step by step on CL. Good luck, keep up posted.
Old 04-15-19, 08:15 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

When they first started this program I got on the list. It was over a year long wait for them to have them in stock. You should talk to your Lexus dealer and see if they can help. They pretty much replaced all my dash and door panels.

Cheap vehicles are usually cheap for a reason and sometimes you’ll end up paying more in the long run. I avoid buying a used car that has any kind of fake shine on it. Not saying this was your case. Good luck.
Old 04-16-19, 04:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I believe the recall program has ended. Purchase a dashboard and get a Lexus TECH or good body guy to replace it for you, probably cost you $200 tops on labor. Good luck.
Old 04-25-19, 10:00 AM
NinjaSocks
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Find out where the car was serviced originally or most recently and call the dealership to see if the previous owner was put on the waiting list. It is possible that if they were on the waiting list for the replacement then the dealership can help you out. You won't know if you don't ask.
Old 04-30-19, 04:56 AM
NinjaSocks
Pole Position

I called the dealership last week and found out the original owner was on a waiting list for the dash and door panels. When the dash panels arrived the dealership called the owner but never got a response. Lexus ordered the parts for me in a day and performed the recall same day when the parts arrived and now I have a brand new dash and door panels.
Old 04-30-19, 09:00 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice my dash isn't really bad but has a few chips and a little area that gets somewhat sticky in the sun. I had called corperate and they said I'm out of luck. I'm definitely gonna try where the car was serviced!
Originally Posted by NinjaSocks
I called the dealership last week and found out the original owner was on a waiting list for the dash and door panels. When the dash panels arrived the dealership called the owner but never got a response. Lexus ordered the parts for me in a day and performed the recall same day when the parts arrived and now I have a brand new dash and door panels.
Old 04-30-19, 09:19 AM
NinjaSocks
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
Nice my dash isn't really bad but has a few chips and a little area that gets somewhat sticky in the sun. I had called corperate and they said I'm out of luck. I'm definitely gonna try where the car was serviced!
Yeah hopefully that works out. My dash was getting a lot of small pieces coming off near the radio on the sides and all of the door panels had scratches and fading. I have all of my windows tinted dark now and my front windshield has 50% tint. A nice front shade would be great to help protect the dash when I'm not driving.
Old 09-02-19, 12:02 PM
retaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2009 IS 350 No Dice

I contacted Lexus corporate, but they did not offer to replace my dash and door panels. This is because I am just outside the '06 to '08 cutoff.

Sadly, today I had to remove a windshield sticker, and my thumbnail was able to slice a chunk of the dash. Also, residue from it stuck to my hand.

My '09 has now joined the group of owners with the fully sticky dash.

On another note, my driver front door panel disintegrated but only along by the hand grip. I think it is hand oil related because the other door panels are much better.
Old 09-03-19, 04:57 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Lexus tried to let everyone know of the recall-enhancement on the dash and door panels.

Best bet is to find used good replacements, there are some out there, cost wise your bet best. Good luck.
Old 12-07-19, 02:13 PM
retaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2009 IS 350 Now Covered

Lexus corporate sent me a letter saying that they are now covering my sticky dash and door panels until 7/31/2021.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Quick Reply: Worth contacting Lexus regarding sticky dash?