IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bizarre Issue occurred when it never should have happened.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 11:16 PM
Michaeeelv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced a part and caused a huge issue

First post so I’m sorry if this is the wrong subforum bit I have no idea what to do.

i have a Lexus IS 250 2006 (automatic) and was replacing the rear view mirror due to the original one being old and unable to see through anymore, once I disconnected the mirror, it triggered all my dashboards lights, p/s light, check VSC, check engine, abs, they all lit up. The car starts but the the steering wheel is locked and can’t turn. The car is also stuck In park and can’t go into any of the other gears.

I looked into replacing this rear view mirror prior to this and had no way to foresee this issue. Can anyone please help???
Old 04-16-19, 12:44 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

did you try disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes?
Old 04-16-19, 07:32 AM
Michaeeelv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
did you try disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes?
i didn’t fully disconnect it but yes, I removed just one of the connections, should I try to remove both the positive and negative from the battery???
Old 04-16-19, 07:37 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaeeelv
i didn’t fully disconnect it but yes, I removed just one of the connections, should I try to remove both the positive and negative from the battery???
no. Just the negative. Sounds like you already did.

Sorry can’t help.
Old 04-16-19, 12:12 PM
Michaeeelv
Driver School Candidate

Default Bizarre Issue occurred when it never should have happened.

The car is a 2006 Lexus IS 250 (automatic) The car runs great with no issues until last night.

The rear view mirror was suffering from normal ware and tear to the point where you could not see through it anymore. I ordered a OEM rear view mirror to replace it which i did myself. After switching it to the new one, I turned the car back on with no issues but the dash was flooded with all lights. Check VSC, ABS, P/S, and check engine light as well. The steering wheel is locked in place and cant be turned. The car is also locked into park. I can not put it into reverse or drive or neutral. Yes i can override the it by removing the little cover BUT that does not do me any good because i cant turn the car.

I am really trying to avoid taking it into the dealership because it'll be an expensive fix most likely.

Can anyone please help?
Old 04-16-19, 12:28 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

Wow, did you disconnect the 12v battery and accidentally reverse the clamps after?
Old 04-16-19, 12:37 PM
Michaeeelv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Wow, did you disconnect the 12v battery and accidentally reverse the clamps after?
No, I did remove one of the clamps from the post after running into this phenomenon but was only for several minutes. I may try removing the battery entirely for a long period of time but is there anything you could think of that may be a fix or to why this has even happened??
Old 04-16-19, 01:35 PM
tekapi
Driver School Candidate

Check fuses, happened to me
Old 04-16-19, 01:50 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,259 Posts

What exactly did you do and/or disconnect/connect while swapping mirrors?

It sounds like several fuses got murdered up front... Start by inspecting those near the battery under the clear plastic cover. Look for a break in the Z conductor just like the little ATC fuses that power everything else!
Old 04-16-19, 02:03 PM
Michaeeelv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
What exactly did you do and/or disconnect/connect while swapping mirrors?

It sounds like several fuses got murdered up front... Start by inspecting those near the battery under the clear plastic cover. Look for a break in the Z conductor just like the little ATC fuses that power everything else!
Should i check every single fuse or which fuse am i to be looking at specifically? Thank you so much in advanced. this has been rough.
Old 04-16-19, 02:56 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Yes. And in that clear case top, I would inspect all of them. Still, something doesn't add up. Your statement says everything was fine after install. Then **something happens** and the car is dead. This sounds a lot like a reverse polarity battery connection whereby one of the first fuses to get taken out is the 80Amp EPS fuse. i.e. electric power steering. Its under that clear cover.

Again, what exactly did you do? Was the mirror hot swapped?

I suggest you grab a 12v test lamp. It makes fuse checking go much faster. That said if you have to ask how to use that tool, a visual inspection is likely the safe choice // pull the fuses.
Old 04-16-19, 03:01 PM
Michaeeelv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Yes. And in that clear case top, I would inspect all of them. Still, something doesn't add up. Your statement says everything was fine after install. Then **something happens** and the car is dead. This sounds a lot like a reverse polarity battery connection whereby one of the first fuses to get taken out is the 80Amp EPS fuse. i.e. electric power steering. Its under that clear cover.

Again, what exactly did you do? Was the mirror hot swapped?

I suggest you grab a 12v test lamp. It makes fuse checking go much faster. That said if you have to ask how to use that tool, a visual inspection is likely the safe choice // pull the fuses.
All i did was replace the rear view mirror with another. It was slightly used, but OEM. I'm assuming by hot swapped, you mean if the car was running but it was not. The only wiring i touched was the connectors between the rear view mirror and the car itself. I have been told that i should have disconnected the battery completely though.

After the install, i started the car and that's when i knew something was wrong. There was no indication of the issue before starting the car again. I had the car as off as can be without disconnecting the battery.

I do not have access to a 12v test lamp unfortunately so it looks like visual inspection is the way to go

Last edited by Michaeeelv; 04-16-19 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Forgot some information for the reply
Old 04-17-19, 09:23 PM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did u try putting the old mirror back in and see if anything changes?
Old 04-17-19, 10:03 PM
Michaeeelv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS250DIYER
Did u try putting the old mirror back in and see if anything changes?
yeah, that was the first thing I tried...
Old 04-18-19, 08:21 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Hot swapped meaning engine off but battery connected. Mirrors with a compass typically remained powered if I'm not mistaken. Dimming mirrors only, I would guess not but that doesn't mean all are not wired for a compass.

I'd guess the mirror swap has little to nothing to do with what happened. I say this for a couple reasons, one it is fused. Two it is significantly removed from the the other systems.

Visually inspect the fuses under the clear cover.
What currently works if anything? And when you say you started the car; meaning it actually started and ran/currently runs, or you *tried to start the engine*?

WAG but I suspect a diode in your alternator shorted and raised hell with everything. Anything smell burned? That said it doesn't explain all things.

Quick Reply: Bizarre Issue occurred when it never should have happened.