IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 IS350 from private seller - what to know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 05:38 PM
Steezo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 IS350 from private seller - what to know?

Hey everyone, looking to join the Lexus club soon. Was initially looking at the post 2014 IS, but since its my first car I wanted to be more conservative.

I found a 2011 IS 350 with 166k km (103k miles) for $11,000 CAD ($8,200 USD) that looks to fit what I need.

The thing is, its a private seller and not a dealership like I've been going to, to test drive other cars.
When I messaged the seller about meeting at a mechanic to look over the car, he said he can't since the car is not currently insured.
Is there anything I need to know specifically about buying from a private seller - and is there anything about this model specifically I should look for at the meetup?

For reference this is in Ontario, Canada. Here's the ad: https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/lexus/...826vMkm1MZsTX4

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 04-16-19, 06:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Hi, start out with the FAQ Sticky https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iy-thread.html and in it you'll find linked an extensive buyers guide

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

The can't drive due to insurance sounds sketchy, especially combined with the "as is" disclaimer in the advertisement. How would he have someone test drive the car to ever sell it?
Old 04-16-19, 07:22 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steezo
When I messaged the seller about meeting at a mechanic to look over the car, he said he can't since the car is not currently insured.
If you are serious about buying, then tell him to pay for some temp insurance so the inspection can be done.
If he's not willing, tell him to get lost.
Old 04-17-19, 05:43 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

$11k CAD for an IS350 in ON with 166k kms sounds like a really good deal! I'd def have to get the prepurchase inspection though. Else do you have a mechanic friend that can take some time off to go with you to check the car out?
Old 04-17-19, 08:39 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Instant red flag I would pass
Originally Posted by Steezo
Hey everyone, looking to join the Lexus club soon. Was initially looking at the post 2014 IS, but since its my first car I wanted to be more conservative.

I found a 2011 IS 350 with 166k km (103k miles) for $11,000 CAD ($8,200 USD) that looks to fit what I need.

The thing is, its a private seller and not a dealership like I've been going to, to test drive other cars.
Is there anything I need to know specifically about buying from a private seller - and is there anything about this model specifically I should look for at the meetup?

For reference this is in Ontario, Canada. Here's the ad: https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/lexus/...826vMkm1MZsTX4

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 04-17-19, 11:33 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anytime you purchase a car from a PP it's always consider "as-is". However since he stated it and also says you can't take it in for an inspection due to no insurance is a big red flag. I wouldn't even bother with it. If the price is better than usual for your area it's also an indicator that something is up. Take your time and it will be worth it in the long run. I've bought many cars and bikes used and on average it takes me about 2-6 months to find what I'm looking for. This gives me enough time to study the market and learn more about the vehicles I'm interested in. Good luck.
Old 04-18-19, 08:40 AM
NinjaSocks
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also use the VIN# and register it with Lexus online (Lexus Drivers) and check service history from the dealer and any other notes the service advisor may have placed each time the vehicle was brought in for service. Best of all it is free to check.
Old 04-18-19, 10:35 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Piling on with the others and will say "Hard pass". Little things: the car is on, yet he couldn't even bother at least filling up the tires to remove the low pressure light. I'm assuming the brake light is on because he has the parking brake on (or that's what it looks like anyways). From Googling, it appears Ontario doesn't sell temporary auto insurance less than 6 months (it looks like BC allows 1-10 day insurance passes though), so if you really want the car, I would just ask him to agree to have it towed to your garage of choice on your dime. Still would probably say pass though.
Old 04-18-19, 10:47 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Two big tips; do your body viewing under florescent lights. Blends, shading, repairs, touch up, and panel rework is much easier to see than when outside in the sun.

Unibody pinch welds; cars that have had structural damage end up on frame racks. When on a frame rack the pinch weld seams are common grip points for aggressive jaw clamps. These clamps bite into the metal leaving marks and usually removing paint. A good shop will do touch up. Some may even use filler and touch up.

It is your job to get it in the air and inspect for this as well as other repairs.

That said car fax is crap. Just because it's a clean report doesn't mean it's never lost a bumper or had a repair done. Use those florescent lights to your advantage! Open doors and look for overspray where it doesn't belong.