IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anybody ever have a major coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 01:05 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anybody ever have a major coolant leak?

So I was driving today and I turned on the AC for the first time in a while and the A/C light started blinking, which I thought was kinda weird. Then I went to get some gas and when I started my car again the A/C light stayed solid for the 15-20 minute drive back so I thought everything was all good.

Right when I pulled up onto my driveway, my check engine lights, VSC, etc came on and I went to open up the hood and it's smoking.

It looks like the coolant leaked all over my belts and stuff.

But when I opened up the coolant reservoir lid, I still see the pink coolant on the bottom. Any ideas what it might be? Like is a hose loose or something or do I need to replace the whole tank? I guess the best way is to have my mechanic take a look at it. I gotta wait till Monday so I thought I'd ask if this happened to others before.
Old 04-20-19, 05:15 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Might be a hose a radiator or the tank. Or the water pump. Locate the leak shouldn't be hard
Originally Posted by shinbo
So I was driving today and I turned on the AC for the first time in a while and the A/C light started blinking, which I thought was kinda weird. Then I went to get some gas and when I started my car again the A/C light stayed solid for the 15-20 minute drive back so I thought everything was all good.

Right when I pulled up onto my driveway, my check engine lights, VSC, etc came on and I went to open up the hood and it's smoking.

It looks like the coolant leaked all over my belts and stuff.

But when I opened up the coolant reservoir lid, I still see the pink coolant on the bottom. Any ideas what it might be? Like is a hose loose or something or do I need to replace the whole tank? I guess the best way is to have my mechanic take a look at it. I gotta wait till Monday so I thought I'd ask if this happened to others before.
Old 04-20-19, 05:49 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went to check the leak and the coolant reservoir is completely empty now. Thinking I might need new tank and hoses. Hopefully it's not the water pump as I just had it replaced a couple of years ago
Old 04-20-19, 10:23 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well it will be emtpy regardless if there's a coolant leak. It's not usual coolant tanks just break out of no where. Normally it's a hose radiator or water pump
Originally Posted by shinbo
I just went to check the leak and the coolant reservoir is completely empty now. Thinking I might need new tank and hoses. Hopefully it's not the water pump as I just had it replaced a couple of years ago
Old 04-21-19, 09:27 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

If you have some pink coolant laying around, probably couldn't hurt to pour it in and start the car. That should tell you fairly quickly if it's the water pump or one of the hoses.
Old 04-22-19, 01:06 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Do keep in mind that a full reservoir tank means very little if the system has a leak. i.e. you could run the engine block out of coolant and destroy a good engine!!!

The cooling system relies of being able to both BUILD pressure AND pull a VACUUM as it heats and cools.

Coolant expands when hot. When it cools is the only time it pulls coolant from the reservoir. IF IT has leak, it **may not** pull coolant from the reservoir and basically run the block out of coolant while leaving the reservoir FULL!!!

You best find the leak and pressure test the system.

GL