IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Passenger door not unlocking(occasionally) when weather is warm. Actuator Replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-19, 09:20 AM
shinbo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger door not unlocking(occasionally) when weather is warm. Actuator Replaced.

Hey everyone,

I posted last summer about how my door lock actuator on the front passenger side would occasionally unable to unlock seemingly when the weather gets hot and would seem to work when the weather is cooler. Since the weather is warming up now, I went and had my actuator replaced and unfortunately the same thing still happens.

All of the doors on the car will lock fine, but passenger and both rear doors are linked and will not unlock together.

Anybody else have ideas of what this issue might be? It's kinda frustrating and even more frustrating due to the money that I'm out now.
Old 04-23-19, 10:20 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Has the vehicle ever been in an accident that could have led to this issue? Any aftermarket alarm or anything in the door (aftermarket speaker install)?
Old 04-23-19, 10:43 AM
shinbo
Rookie

No accidents that I know of, no aftermarket anything actually. My window actually was broken into a couple of months ago but like I said earlier, this issue has been happening since last summer and I was hoping by getting the window replaced it might magically fix the door lock issue but that wasn't the case.
Old 04-23-19, 07:10 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Those are the most annoying problems. Little electrical Gremlins that make no sense. It happened in my Navigator where the power fold mirror switch worked when it wanted even after replacing the mirrors and switch and same with the drivers door lock after replacing the acuator it did nothing I had gave up on it. I tried to find a clipped wire but it was a pain in the *** and quit. Try to buy a new switch with a refund to see if that's the issue. If not it has to be a clipped wire somewhere
Originally Posted by shinbo
No accidents that I know of, no aftermarket anything actually. My window actually was broken into a couple of months ago but like I said earlier, this issue has been happening since last summer and I was hoping by getting the window replaced it might magically fix the door lock issue but that wasn't the case.
Old 04-23-19, 07:32 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
Those are the most annoying problems. Little electrical Gremlins that make no sense. It happened in my Navigator where the power fold mirror switch worked when it wanted even after replacing the mirrors and switch and same with the drivers door lock after replacing the acuator it did nothing I had gave up on it. I tried to find a clipped wire but it was a pain in the *** and quit. Try to buy a new switch with a refund to see if that's the issue. If not it has to be a clipped wire somewhere
Yeah it's super frustrating I thought right away it's gotta be the door lock actuator since it's one of the most common problems these cars have.

I'm kinda glad I didn't get the two rear ones done as well or I would be out more money. If the passenger door would have work completely then I would have gotten the rears done as well since I can conclusively say that the door lock actuator is broken, but this is something else and I had a hunch in the beginning that it was since 3 doors work and not work all at the same time.
Old 04-24-19, 09:33 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Recap: when cool, all door locks work as expected.
When warm, RF door lock/unlock misbehaves AND the rear doors fail to operate too?

Does the fob and the drivers door switch give the same results? And what if you touch the passenger handle?

For kicks and gins get in range of the car and with the remote push and hold both the lock and unlock buttons for 5 sec. This will toggle from single press drivers door to single press all doors. Push and hold to undo it.

What brand of actuator was installed in the right front?

FWIW 2 mo after purchase I acquired Techstream and disabled the auto lock/unlock BS everytime it's in and out of gear/park etc. In some places I really don't want all the doors doing their own thing.

That said I have never looked to see if Techstream knows the status of the door. i.e. locked vs unlocked.
Old 04-24-19, 10:19 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Correction - 2013 owners manual says push and hold:
Unlock, Trunk, Panic, for approx 5 sec while pushing the Lock button on the key.
Be sure to OPEN at least one door in 60 secs or the Alarm will be set.

Also there is a section in there that may be of interest: "Cancelling the Linked door Unlock operation".
Perhaps you have done this inadvertently???

Also and IIRC if one of your doors remains ajar (switch not fully pressed) it may not lock. But your issue is it will not lock.
Old 04-24-19, 08:41 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Recap: when cool, all door locks work as expected.
When warm, RF door lock/unlock misbehaves AND the rear doors fail to operate too?

Does the fob and the drivers door switch give the same results? And what if you touch the passenger handle?

For kicks and gins get in range of the car and with the remote push and hold both the lock and unlock buttons for 5 sec. This will toggle from single press drivers door to single press all doors. Push and hold to undo it.

What brand of actuator was installed in the right front?

FWIW 2 mo after purchase I acquired Techstream and disabled the auto lock/unlock BS everytime it's in and out of gear/park etc. In some places I really don't want all the doors doing their own thing.

That said I have never looked to see if Techstream knows the status of the door. i.e. locked vs unlocked.

When cool, it works more often than not but still misbehaves from time to time, when warm and hotter, it consistently misbehaves. When the passenger door works, both rear doors work as well. Likewise when passenger door fails to unlock, both rear doors fail as well. Locking is never an issue, which is good since its just an annoyance and not a security issue.

When unlocking with the fob, it will just "unlock" and the driver door will unlock as normal, but passenger and rear doors will fail. When I press on the door handle, it will unlock driver door and then beep multiple times. This morning when I went to unlock the car, all doors functioned as normal. Im assuming because it was cooling overnight.

I will give the double press a shot.

I purchased the door lock actuator from an ebay seller that specializes in repairing OEM actuators. He gets his inventory by selling you his repaired actuator and returning to him your broken actuator for a lifetime warranty. I believe his product to be good because the same exact thing is happening prior to replacement. Which leads me to believe something else is causing my issues, which I also suspected before, thus the hesitation to replace it since last summer. My door issue always seemed different than the typical door lock actuator issue.