IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Blown head gasket? maybe Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 10:27 AM
shinbo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
Your looking at about $250 in parts for a coolant resevior, thermostat housing, radiator, and water pump. Ask him how much he charges per hour of labor. I'd order the parts and bring them to him. Or I'd say a day of tedious work is definitely worth saving $1k
He priced it out as 6 hours worth of labor, but with unskilled hands as mine that will more likely do more damage than not I leave it up to the professionals while sacrificing my wallet in the process.
Old 04-26-19, 10:33 AM
Gville350

Received 436 Likes on 387 Posts

After reading all of this, to me it sounds like a water pump failure. But with multiple coolant leaks in the system (assuming that diagnosis is correct), then all of them will obviously need to be attended to first BEFORE anything having to do with a headgasket replacement.
Old 04-26-19, 10:46 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol first mechanic needed some quick $ in his pocket
Originally Posted by Gville350
After reading all of this, to me it sounds like a water pump failure. But with multiple coolant leaks in the system (assuming that diagnosis is correct), then all of them will obviously need to be attended to first BEFORE anything having to do with a headgasket replacement.
Old 04-26-19, 10:52 AM
shinbo
Rookie

Lol first mechanic needed some quick $ in his pocket
Money well earned if diagnosis is correct, so hopefully
Old 04-26-19, 10:54 AM
shinbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Yeah, only thing is I actually had the water pump already replaced 3 years ago. If it's the case, that seems a bit early to refail no?
Old 04-26-19, 01:48 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Sigh, I was hoping that the new mechanic would call back with good news but not quite. He wants to keep the car over the weekend and try something on Monday.

He he said the car ran perfectly for about 20 minutes but then there is air in the system and the lower hose is not quite pushing the coolant through. He said it’s too early to say it’s the gasket and will try to get rid of the air on Monday and see again.
Old 04-30-19, 12:16 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by shinbo
Sigh, I was hoping that the new mechanic would call back with good news but not quite. He wants to keep the car over the weekend and try something on Monday.

He he said the car ran perfectly for about 20 minutes but then there is air in the system and the lower hose is not quite pushing the coolant through. He said it’s too early to say it’s the gasket and will try to get rid of the air on Monday and see again.
So my 2nd mechanic called back today and seems to think that it's the gasket also, they replaced everything, radiator, thermostat, water pump again and the car isn't so much overheating but building up a lot of pressure and he thinks the head gasket malfunction is causing pressure build up that in turn causing misfiring on cylinder 5.

He said its a shame cause the car runs beautifully but not sure if it's worth the massive bill it would cost to fix.
Old 04-30-19, 01:12 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

That sucks what year and how many miles. 250 or 350. I haven't really herd either having gasket issues but that's a bummer
So my 2nd mechanic called back today and seems to think that it's the gasket also, they replaced everything, radiator, thermostat, water pump again and the car isn't so much overheating but building up a lot of pressure and he thinks the head gasket malfunction is causing pressure build up that in turn causing misfiring on cylinder 5.

He said its a shame cause the car runs beautifully but not sure if it's worth the massive bill it would cost to fix.
Old 04-30-19, 08:01 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Did they actually pressure test the thing cold? If not purged properly they boil over.
Old 05-01-19, 09:46 PM
shinbo
Rookie

That sucks what year and how many miles. 250 or 350. I haven't really herd either having gasket issues but that's a bummer
is350, about 115k miles
Old 05-01-19, 09:46 PM
shinbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Did they actually pressure test the thing cold? If not purged properly they boil over.
I'm not 100% sure they did pressure test it cold, but they kept it over the weekend and retried it on Monday. At this point it seems pretty likely culprit as two mechanics have tested it and the 2nd one can't think of anything else it might be.
Old 05-01-19, 10:29 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Wow fairly low to be the gasket that's unheard of but of course possible that sucks hopefully it's just air in the system. I was expecting something like 200-250k miles +
is350, about 115k miles
Old 05-02-19, 11:12 AM
shinbo
Rookie

Wow fairly low to be the gasket that's unheard of but of course possible that sucks hopefully it's just air in the system. I was expecting something like 200-250k miles +
Yeah it's a major bummer, I was hoping to keep this car for another 5 years or more. At this point I think I'm going to give the Blue Devil sealant a try and see if it works.
Old 05-03-19, 12:29 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

I still would want facts.
A leak down test or bare minimum a compression test.

That said did someone leave something in the new radiator that blocks flow? A garden hose and/or IR gun could help solve this. Where is the heat going if its not leaving the engine.

Recap:
Engine boils over and dumps coolant into the reservoir. Is this correct?
There is no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil. Is this correct?

A pressure test was never done on the coolant system. If it passes this test that. Your problem is something else and it's not the head gasket.
Anyone know if the thermostat can be put in backwards?
Ask them how they filled and burped the system.

GL
Old 05-03-19, 12:33 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Yes I searched around forums and a few people with the GS350 had similar issues where mechanics all said it was the gasket. And it turned out not to be. I wouldn't quit in the car. I'd take it home and start working on figuring out what it is. A bad head gasket on a Lexus with 100k miles is like a %.01 chance
Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I still would want facts.
A leak down test or bare minimum a compression test.

That said did someone leave something in the new radiator that blocks flow? A garden hose and/or IR gun could help solve this. Where is the heat going if its not leaving the engine.

Recap:
Engine boils over and dumps coolant into the reservoir. Is this correct?
There is no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil. Is this correct?

A pressure test was never done on the coolant system. If it passes this test that. Your problem is something else and it's not the head gasket.
Anyone know if the thermostat can be put in backwards?
Ask them how they filled and burped the system.

GL