IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission Neutral acts like 1gear reverse is like park

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 05:24 AM
CptJack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Neutral acts like 1gear reverse is like park

Ok I have a 2008 IS250 with 208,000+ miles. The check engine and VSC and TRAC OFF lights were on neutral acted like 1st gear and reverse was like park.

Had the codes read and they said it was solenoid. Yesterday I replaced all the solenoids, transmission filter, and refilled the fluid lost from dropping the pan. The car drives like a dream, shifting is as smooth as silk 1-6. However Neutral still acts like 1st and Reverse Is like park. I don't have any codes yet because I cleared the computer. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Oh this also started after alternator failed, that has been replaced and is charging the car fine.

Thank you

Last edited by CptJack; 04-29-19 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Wrong information
Old 04-29-19, 01:19 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I'm not following you. Are saying when shifted to Neutral and apply throttle, the car moves forward? Was the valve body removed or the manual valve connected to the shift linkage pulled off? I'll guess no.

If this is the case and the engine starts when in Park, it sounds like you have an internal leak in the valve body allowing fluid to to clutch pack or band that should not have fluid.

Internal to the valve body are several check ***** on the separator plate. These ***** are not steel as they would wear the plate. So they are some kind of man made polymer and they do wear out. It is possible this has happened to yours and a critical path is getting oil... That said I would think it might cause other issues but for forward operation I think the "forward" clutch pack has fluid applied for every gear needed to go forward.

Do search for A760E.pdf and or here in the 2IS forum I left links and in that pdf is a table to tells what clutches and solenoids are applied for each forward gear. With this, you might have a better idea of where the problem is. Also rebuilt valve bodies are an option too.
The following users liked this post:
potatomon (05-04-19)
Old 04-29-19, 03:55 PM
CptJack
Driver School Candidate

Default Oh I forgot to add it is automatic

Sorry gone more detail the car is automatic.

So rundown is car starts in park and shifts 1-6 with no problems.

Reverse feels like car is trying to pull forward you can hold RPMs to about 2000 and car will not move an inch. There is a RPM limiter I think.

Neutral when the engine is on acts like 1st gear. And will drive car up to about 25 miles an hour it will not shift to second.

With engine off neutral acts like neutral you can push car currently this is how I go backwards like Fred Flintstone.
Old 04-29-19, 09:17 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I stand by what I wrote. Your trans has an internal oil leak which is activating the forward clutch drum. << that is a real component name inside your automatic transmission.

What you feel when in reverse is the torque converter stalling thus the engine running out of power ad the leak internal to your transmissions oil feed circuits are trying to go forward and backwards at the same time. While doing this it cooking the fluid and placing one h3ll of a strain on everything.

If the problem was not there before it could have been induced by the solenoid swap. Maybe they cut an O-ring or put a valve in the wrong place???

I will say again, the problem is likely in the valve body. Google valve body repair A760E and you'll see options.
Fix it before someone gets killed or you completely destroy the trans!
GL
The following users liked this post:
potatomon (05-04-19)
Old 05-01-19, 05:47 AM
CptJack
Driver School Candidate

Ok I don't mind trying the valve body, this is really a shot in the dark to be honest I just don't want to throw good money after bad.

The thing is the car has gone about 10,000 miles like this I am just tired of pushing it backwards.

Here's the deal of course the Lexus Dealer won't work on it, they just do a full swap $9000 (called them just for kicks) A National Transmission Chain quoted $5000 neither of them would actually look at the car. A mechanic I trust said to not waste money on the car, so I am going off codes from local parts store,

The reason I replaced the solenoids is that was code that was thrown now that has cleared and a c1201 do you think the valve body would trip that.

Thanks
Old 05-04-19, 07:54 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

208 is good life for a tranny. I think you can swap it and rebuild this one and keep it as a spare
A used tranny will run you about 400usd and another 500-1000to install it

It's part of owning a high mile car, major components go bad like I said these cars get put back on the road like nothing

Btw fsport do you know why the transmission on my GS shakes when I'm barely moving in traffic? Not mounts related I mean its like it quits for a split second and then carries on. It only does it sometimes once commit to the throne it won't shake but when you giving it a little throttle from a stop it shakes. Andsometimes when crusing the rpms drop to idle and u hear a thump. I replaced myself the SLU solenoid before I drove it for 3 months with the lock up engaging randomly. I knew when it would engage and knew when to drop gears. Lol. It was a highway only car

Last edited by potatomon; 05-04-19 at 08:14 PM.