IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dropping transmission for the second time changing torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 03:07 PM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help.Dropping transmission for the second time changing torque converter

So I caught a transmission leak before I left one day realized I used to take it in or do it myself. I dropped the tranny down in about six and a half hours by myself first transmission I ever did sound of seal blew out they wanted my car back on the road so I put one in through the transmission back in but it was still leaking after some more tests I figured out it's the torque converter it's now the train is coming out a second time this week

Last edited by IS250DIYER; 06-02-19 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-02-19, 08:14 PM
IS250DIYER
Driver

I know little about Transmissions but I know my torque converter is bad my question is that ring is it supposed to come off with the torque converter is it supposed to stay in the tranny? I have no idea... I opened up the transmission everything seems to be okay the car was still driving to find the first time I put the transmission back in but it was still leaking fluid do you think I'll be okay ordering a new torque converter and putting that in?
Old 06-02-19, 09:10 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Wow - nope. Everything is not ok as that bushing is supposed to be secured in the front pump. Something went way wrong.
Likely need a new:
TC
Front pump / seal, bushing, pump, cover assembly, o-rings, P/R
Who knows what else.

Did all the fluid dump out?

Just guessing but throwing suspect parts at it could be a big waste.
Share some more details. I'll advise as best possible.
The following users liked this post:
IS250DIYER (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 10:22 AM
IS250DIYER
Driver

I Appreciate the advise. So I've only car just over a year. It had about 219000 Miles when I bought it it now has 240,000 miles. I have eBay headers all the way back along with EB mid pipes and mufflers. An oil catch can RR Racing tune. Coilovers aftermarket rims homemade intake. Before I noticed the leaking I did a few poles in 4th gear. I also tend to let my car idle a lot. now I didn't notice anything different from how the car acted before i noticed the leak but now that I think of it the car did have a few small things like not bing to powerful. (Oh wait i own a 250). I know the car can be more powerful and now that I know the torque converter is bad and was going bad that's about the only thing otherwise the gear shift fine and still did before I took a transmission out I didn't hear any weird noises besides a whining when it was low on fluid from what you can see on the transmission is getting a new input seal and torque converter all I need to do or would I need to get some other seals that I don't see I'm trying to put it back together today if I can get the torque converter. thanks for any response
Old 06-03-19, 10:25 AM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Oh and does that seals come in the pump or does that come on the torque converter and pushed into the pump. Would I be able to take that off the torque converter and push it back in there or is that not a good thing
Old 06-03-19, 10:28 AM
IS250DIYER
Driver

No all the fluid did not dump out I got about three more quartz after I took it out the first time so it was pretty dang low and I only noticed about a quart leak out and there might have still been some left in the transmission. I'm still learning how to use this dating site I know I can edit my post and I did before but now I can't seem to find it.
Old 06-03-19, 11:01 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Take a look here. You need everything on this page.
https://maktrans.net/a760e-a761e-a750e-03-up
Old 06-03-19, 03:10 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Recap: trans was leaking out the front so you pulled it and installed a new front seal. Yes?
It ran how long, how many miles before it started leaking?

There is a trick to seating all of the splines, pump drive, and stator. If not fully seated the front pump gets destroyed.
If you follow the link above and then look at the front pump, take the bolts out of the pump and inspect it.

Also when installing a new seal it needs grease on the contact area where it touches the TC or it will burn up and leak.
Old 06-03-19, 07:54 PM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Yes i put in a new input shaft seal that was it. Put a little grease on it through some fluid in the torque converter and put it back on. But like I said before that ring came off the first time with the torque converter and it was at the end of the shaft of the torque converter. The second time I pulled it down it was all the way to the back touching the torque converter the seal got a little tore up which I knew was going to happen if the torque converter was bad. I only drove it about 5 miles after that and it was leaking right away a drip like every 10 seconds or so. I sound a 2014 transmission surround 700 bucks with 53k on it. So if they don't need a core I'm going to get that in slowly rebuild the one I have otherwise I'm going to take off all the sensors and give them the transmission as a core. Thanks for all the help. I come on here every day just to read who has problems or who came up with solutions for other things just to acknowledge myself more about the IS cuz I don't plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon
Old 06-03-19, 09:54 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

The TC is held and centered by that bushing and the pilot hole in the crank and pilot stub on the TC. Once that bushing fell out, you're in trouble. That bushing pretty much never falls out so something is out of align, broken or loose.
Be safe and install a new flex plate on the crank as the TC put a huge strain on it and they do crack. It should ring like a bell. Not rattle. Inspect it thoroughly or this could repeat.

GL
Old 06-04-19, 07:49 PM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Thanks. Even though it doesn't help my situation it ups my knowledge about Transmissions. So when i tap the flex plat should i do it on or off the car and just use like a screwdriver or what is best to do that? The car surprisingly was still driving okay besides being low on transmission fluid
Old 06-04-19, 10:07 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Leave it bolted to the crank. Inspect and look for trails of red lines / dark rust color... Those point to either loose bolts or cracks. Both indicate movement. Both are bad.

Use your head. Something solid! lol
The following users liked this post:
IS250DIYER (06-05-19)