IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TransGo shift kit for A760E (IS350) and transmission fluid cooler Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 10:09 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts
Default TransGo shift kit for A760E (IS350) and transmission fluid cooler Installed!

Hi guys

As I posted here a few weeks back to ask more info about the TransGo shift kit. It seems that we don't have much information about this product. So I decided to just order one and installed it!

Installation is pretty much straight forward. You have to removed the transmission pan and take out the whole Value body unit but no need to drop the whole transmission.

Then follow what Trans go instruction said.

It require some drilling to the Value body. TransGo does provide the tools for that. It is not and easy install but if you follow the steps carefully you should be good.

and since you removed the Value body. Please be sure to add enough fluid back I ended up adding about 2 Gallon ( 8 Liters ) and reset the transmission ECM Via Techstream

Review
As member suggest that this will not solve the stupid and slow paddle shifting speed. I can confirm that he is right!. This kit won't improve any of that.
However, When WOT and you nail the shift. Eg, I have the ECU tune that raise the Rev limit to 7200RPM So I have to shift around 6500-6700 RPM to make the car shift up at 7200RPM before it hit the limiter. On this case, you will definitely feel that the transmission improves so much. it goes and lock to 2nd gear 3rd gear 4th gear much faster much firmer and more aggressive. No RPM Drop, you can feel constant power. Also 1st to 2nd you will hear the tyre squeaks.

On normal driving condition the transmission is still as smooth I feel that it locks to the next gear quicker. Kick down is more responsive. and WOT without paddle shift you can feel a firmer shift/faster

This kit also fix my previous transmission problems
1.) shifting up from 4th to 5th is not smooth on hard driving condition. Try to fixed it with new fluid/ took the solenoid out to clean but no luck. but this kit does help to remove the kick for more than 50% I even shift up at 7200RPM and If I shift under 5000 Rpm the kick is all gone.
2.) Lost of pressure from 5th 6th during light throttle acceleration. it shift properly now with light throttle. No rpm drop.

For me I think it a good upgrade since labor here in Bangkok Thailand is not too bad. I installed this kit together my mechanic friend and he charges only 50$ I pay extra for the fluid. I don't know how much this will cost in USA

Sorry I don't have picture of the installation cause my hand were covered with fluid all the time haha.

On to the next thing.

Transmission fluid cooler

For people who lives in a colder climate this would not be necessary. But I live by the equator which the weather is hot all year round day time temp is 100F+ on average and 110F in the summer. Checking the ATF Temp via tech steam doesn't look promising. On stock setting once the car warm up and sit in traffic the temp is already around 185F on WOT or high load driving Temp is more than 212F. So I decide to installed this air cooled system. and it does help reduce the ATF Temp drastically. temp is not more than 185F when WOT

The following 7 users liked this post by Thannp:
4GS350 (10-16-22), B00M3R (03-17-21), bbaugher47 (06-06-19), demetri813 (05-01-23), DJPsystems (06-06-19), redspencer (06-06-19), WylieKylie (06-10-19) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-19, 06:57 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Thanks for testing out these products and for sharing your review with us.

I wasn't aware that the ATF temperatures could be read via techstream (several of us have tried using OBD scanner apps to read the transmission fluid temps to no avail [it ends up reading the engine oil temps]) and it's interesting to hear that the fluids will exceed 212 degrees F under heavy load. Though I haven't received any transmission overheat warnings on the track, I am interested in that transmission fluid cooler that you installed.
Old 06-06-19, 08:57 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by redspencer
Thanks for testing out these products and for sharing your review with us.

I wasn't aware that the ATF temperatures could be read via techstream (several of us have tried using OBD scanner apps to read the transmission fluid temps to no avail [it ends up reading the engine oil temps]) and it's interesting to hear that the fluids will exceed 212 degrees F under heavy load. Though I haven't received any transmission overheat warnings on the track, I am interested in that transmission fluid cooler that you installed.

Actually, on stock form a760E and a960E have the transmission fluid warmer/cooler system. The stock system works very good with warming up the systems because it runs the fluid thru radiator so it get the fluid up to operating temp very quickly. However, on high load driving with high ambient temp 95F++ and with stop and go traffic where there are not so much wind hitting the car radiator. ATF Temp can reach 200F+ plus easily.

The setup I have now required the stock warmer/colder to be removed. It might be a problem for you if you live somewhere cold cause it will take forever for the tranny to be fully warmed up.

I think you should find a way to install a separate cooler unit while still retain the stock warming system. maybe find some spot to intercept the unit and route it to the separate radiator then feed it back to the car radiator for warming up purpose.

Old 06-06-19, 10:26 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Tow package equipped Tundra, Tacoma, FJ's use the A760 and have the smart cooler diverter just for that. Coolant takes it to 200F or so and if the trans goes over that, it goes to an external cooler up front. Its just a wax valve. As the wax heats it expands moving a valve the redirect the trans fluid.

So, those cooler lines; the oem heat exchanger is pressed to the trans and secured with bolts and o'rings, yes?. It's good to see the trans is also threaded.

Good job and thanks for the report. Especially the follow up regarding it being the TCU that creates the laggy paddle shifts.
Old 06-06-19, 02:26 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Tow package equipped Tundra, Tacoma, FJ's use the A760 and have the smart cooler diverter just for that. Coolant takes it to 200F or so and if the trans goes over that, it goes to an external cooler up front. Its just a wax valve. As the wax heats it expands moving a valve the redirect the trans fluid.

So, those cooler lines; the oem heat exchanger is pressed to the trans and secured with bolts and o'rings, yes?. It's good to see the trans is also threaded.

Good job and thanks for the report. Especially the follow up regarding it being the TCU that creates the laggy paddle shifts.
Yes, where you see the line and the pinkish connector used to be the oem heat exchanger.
Old 06-06-19, 02:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Thannp
Bangkok Thailand is not too bad. But I live by the equator which the weather is hot all year round day time temp is 100F+ on average and 110F in the summer.
Minnesota Is that a new city in Thailand

Lou
Old 06-06-19, 04:38 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flowrider
Minnesota Is that a new city in Thailand

Lou
I used to live in Minnesota for awhile haha. Still going back there often tho
Old 06-06-19, 08:38 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Where did you get the fittings that go into the transmission? Is there threads in the transmission in and out ports or did you have to use a tap and cut the threads so you could screw in the fittings?
Old 06-07-19, 01:35 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DJPsystems
Where did you get the fittings that go into the transmission? Is there threads in the transmission in and out ports or did you have to use a tap and cut the threads so you could screw in the fittings?
There are thread inside the transmission. I don't remember the size of the thread but I am sure there are not fancy. And the new connector are not custom made I just went to the shop and bought them and they fit perfectly
The following users liked this post:
DJPsystems (06-07-19)
Old 06-13-19, 03:43 PM
Cronus1995
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have a part number for the shift kit? I didn't see it in your post.
Old 06-13-19, 07:57 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Cronus1995
Do you have a part number for the shift kit? I didn't see it in your post.
This should be it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transgo-SK-...53.m1438.l2649
Thannp (06-14-19)
Old 06-14-19, 03:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

There is also a Toyota PN for the tow package equipped 06/07 Tundra SR5 and Sequoia. It is a screw in 90°. Be sure to buy the orings too. They are separate. When I get back to a PC I'll look up the #.
DJPsystems (06-14-19)
Old 06-16-19, 12:24 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Post OEM Transmission Cooler Part Numbers

@DJPsystems Here you go. It's just too painful to do this stuff on a mobile device.

OEM 90 degree fittings, screw into A760E trans and maybe others.
90407-14033, Union(For Oil Cooler Tube)
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...407-14033.html
$10.97 ea

O-Rings, you'll need 2
BUT -they list two different ones. Not sure which is correct but in our OEM stock config our cooler is pressed flat to the transmission case, while in the Tow Package would use the screw in fitting. They may be a different thickness. The one in bold is my pick for a match to the 90 deg fittings. Buy both if in doubt.

32921G RING, O(FOR OIL COOLER TUBE UNION)
90301-11006 2 $3.47

33490G RING, O (FOR TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER)
90301-19020 2 $3.47

32971 THERMOSTAT, TRANSMISSION OIL
32971-34020 TOWING PACKAGE-WITH 1 $169.46

Now get a some steel tubing and run as much as you can forward bending with a tubing bender and use a 'compression union to male hose barb' like this to couple your flex hose to the steel tubing and you should not have a failure mode like a blow off or leak. Also I would advise against using worm drive clamps on small hoses as they do not apply 360 degrees of circular pressure as they have a flat spot. Look below for options.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-035/ (pair)
Fitting, Compression Fitting, Straight, Brass, 3/8 Steel Line to 3/8 in.(8mm) Nylon Hose, Pair

Look here and search for 'Tight-Seal Easy-Install Bolt Clamps for Soft Hose and Tube'
https://www.mcmaster.com/bolt-hose-clamps

The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
DJPsystems (06-16-19), GrizzlyMan (04-11-21)
Old 06-16-19, 12:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

@Thannp Is this the Transgo A760E Kit you installed?
http://www.transgo.com/products.php?...product_id=264

Some good info here for browsing...
https://www.sonnax.com/units/394-a760e

And about the trans itself and how it operates. From a Tundra so the TCU and shift points will be different than our cars but there is a lot of good info here.
http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...logs/A760E.pdf <<<<< Can Someone Please find this type of data on our 2GR-FSE engine?
Old 06-16-19, 09:36 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
@Thannp Is this the Transgo A760E Kit you installed?
http://www.transgo.com/products.php?...product_id=264

Some good info here for browsing...
https://www.sonnax.com/units/394-a760e

And about the trans itself and how it operates. From a Tundra so the TCU and shift points will be different than our cars but there is a lot of good info here.
http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/...logs/A760E.pdf <<<<< Can Someone Please find this type of data on our 2GR-FSE engine?

This is the kit I installed https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transgo-SK-...53.m1438.l2649

Quick Reply: TransGo shift kit for A760E (IS350) and transmission fluid cooler Installed!