Can't lock/unlock or disarm alarm but key is working

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 06:53 AM
Rades
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't lock/unlock or disarm alarm but key is working

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered in a thread already, but I've spent all afternoon reading and can only find similar problems, but not the actual problem I have.

So suddenly today I was unable to unlock my car (2006 IS250) using the key fob. Thinking it was a dead battery, I went and got it replaced, but still it wasn't working. I am able to unlock the car manually using the mechanical key, but as soon as I open the door, the car alarm goes off, and will continue to go off if I am sitting in the car - there doesn't seem to be any way for me to disable this.

Also worth noting that the lock/unlock function on the drivers side door for all the doors doesn't do anything, and I have no turn signal functionality (even though the blinkers work when they're flashing as the alarm is going off). Interestingly, every single fuse is in perfect condition, and both the car and key batteries are at full charge.

The car has no issue detecting the key once I'm in either, because it starts up straight away without me having to hold the fob close to the push-start button, but the car is not drive-able due to the alarm constantly going off and the turn signals not working.

At no point do I get the message 'key not detected'.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? It was a nightmare being stuck in the mall carpark! Appreciate any help.
The following users liked this post:
mz2neat (11-30-22)
Old 06-17-19, 08:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Wild guess, perhaps something has triggered your alarm. It is on sort of a lock down. Option 1 get the car towed to a dealer or garage specializing in Toyotas. Option 2, Get somebody who has a Techstream software so you can diagnose the issue and perhaps reset the condition. Good luck.
Old 06-17-19, 09:05 AM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^^^
Possibly....??
Disconnect battery for an hour or two, might reset the system to normal.
I'd try that before anything else
Old 06-17-19, 11:44 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,267 Posts

The owners manual talks of clearing a triggered alarm by starting the car. Yet your car seems to think it is being violated Yet^2 it allows you to start it. At least it recognizes the key is associated to the immobilizer.

Any chance the trunk release works either with fob or key in range AND pushing the button on the trunk?

When you near the car with key, does the puddle light come on?

The suggestions above are a good start, discount battery for 15min. If no luck talk to a Toyota tech and see if they can offer assistance.

Question; if starting the car did not disable the alarm, how did you turn it off? Did you already disconnect the battery? Do you have another fob to try?
Old 12-04-20, 04:52 PM
Sspeer79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is250 key fob

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
The owners manual talks of clearing a triggered alarm by starting the car. Yet your car seems to think it is being violated Yet^2 it allows you to start it. At least it recognizes the key is associated to the immobilizer.

Any chance the trunk release works either with fob or key in range AND pushing the button on the trunk?

When you near the car with key, does the puddle light come on?

The suggestions above are a good start, discount battery for 15min. If no luck talk to a Toyota tech and see if they can offer assistance.

Question; if starting the car did not disable the alarm, how did you turn it off? Did you already disconnect the battery? Do you have another fob to try?
I have the same issue 2007 is250 did you figure it out?
Old 12-19-21, 03:27 PM
pipetng
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sspeer79
I have the same issue 2007 is250 did you figure it out?
I'm having the same issue rn I thought that it could be the switch actioner did you ever find a solution?
Old 01-21-22, 12:28 PM
SoSoDave
Rookie

This happened to me.

The first thing I did was unplug the two front horns and the one next to the battery.

Then I left the battery unplugged for about 10 minutes.

Reconnected the battery and used the remote to push the start button WITHOUT THE BRAKE, so the car went to on but not start.

I used the remote to push the start button so it would be close enough for the system to "see" the key and recognize it.

Then I started the car and all was fine.
Old 05-01-22, 04:41 PM
Djjoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoSoDave
This happened to me.

The first thing I did was unplug the two front horns and the one next to the battery.

Then I left the battery unplugged for about 10 minutes.

Reconnected the battery and used the remote to push the start button WITHOUT THE BRAKE, so the car went to on but not start.

I used the remote to push the start button so it would be close enough for the system to "see" the key and recognize it.

Then I started the car and all was fine.
I’m having this problem at the moment, could you please tell me how you unplugged the horns?
Old 08-02-22, 02:56 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Djjoe
I’m having this problem at the moment, could you please tell me how you unplugged the horns?
You ever figure this out?
Old 11-30-22, 03:08 PM
mz2neat
2nd gear

hey did you figure this out? I need the car to get to and from University and this exact same thing happened to me. no signal, horn, lock unlock switch, memory seat, horn functionality. I do not want to drive the car around like that. someone, please message me ASAP.
Old 01-07-23, 05:13 PM
theestrugg
3rd Gear

I'm having this problem, have you slove it yet?
Old 01-07-23, 05:14 PM
theestrugg
3rd Gear

have you figure it out too?
Old 01-07-23, 05:24 PM
mz2neat
2nd gear

Default Yup

Originally Posted by theestrugg
I'm having this problem, have you slove it yet?

so I’ve actually been meaning to post in this for some time now. I did solve the issue.
I plugged in a scanner and wiped the codes that came up. It’s been fine since.
I thinkthis happens because of some eleven fault so far I’ve found a MAF sensor with damaged pins and I got a check engine light shortly after. Whatever it was it hasn’t caused me any issues since.
The following users liked this post:
theestrugg (01-08-23)
Old 01-14-23, 12:34 PM
theestrugg
3rd Gear

did your check engine light came up before you plugged in your ob2?
Old 08-30-23, 01:03 PM
bs7400
1st Gear

Default Did you figure this out

Originally Posted by mz2neat
hey did you figure this out? I need the car to get to and from University and this exact same thing happened to me. no signal, horn, lock unlock switch, memory seat, horn functionality. I do not want to drive the car around like that. someone, please message me ASAP.
Did you figure this out. I am having the same problem.

Quick Reply: Can't lock/unlock or disarm alarm but key is working