IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Instrument cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 12:27 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Instrument cluster question

Hey guys do any of you notice that near your 0mph till about 10mph the lighting seems a hair darker than your other speedometer and tachometer back lights?

Noticed mine today but wanted to see if I知 going crazy. Saw some RX guys stating the exact same as I知 asking my IS- family.
Old 06-16-19, 03:05 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Bump bump bump
Old 06-17-19, 10:38 AM
peanut220
Rookie

No one? Anyone? lol
Old 06-17-19, 07:54 PM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, both our speedo and tach needles are fully dark about 80% of the time, and we have 3 different shades of numbers on the dials.

That count?
Old 06-18-19, 02:37 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ultra4
Well, both our speedo and tach needles are fully dark about 80% of the time, and we have 3 different shades of numbers on the dials.

That count?
Definitely does, that is weird. I get your needles cause that痴 a well known problem on our cars but the backlighting is weird.

gonna prob end up just buying a low mileage cluster on eBay then reinstall in my car.
Old 06-18-19, 03:45 PM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

One of the techs might correct me here, but I'm pretty sure toyota does like everyone else with a LCD odo and binds the mileage to the cluster. If that doesn't matter, send it. If it does, might need a reflash to get correct odo reading.
Old 06-18-19, 03:51 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ultra4
One of the techs might correct me here, but I'm pretty sure toyota does like everyone else with a LCD odo and binds the mileage to the cluster. If that doesn't matter, send it. If it does, might need a reflash to get correct odo reading.
Oh yea I always reflash my cluster. This is my second cluster. I have a shop that does it so I can keep my odo accurate. Because you池e correct it痴 bound to the cluster itself not the car.

Can稚 get myself to repair it I知 too squeamish to pull of needles and gauge faces lol
Old 06-19-19, 03:40 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I pair attention to my back lights of the gauges this morning. I don稚 have any dim spots.
Old 06-19-19, 06:55 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

I also took a careful look this morning. Backlighting of the speedo and tach is even and consistent on my cluster. A perfectionist may notice that my speedo and tach needles emit a slightly more blue-tinged white than the pure white emitted by the gas and temp needles, but it is so subtle that I can't say whether it has been that way since I bought the car, or became that way gradually over time.
Old 06-19-19, 12:07 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Originally Posted by Petet
I pair attention to my back lights of the gauges this morning. I don稚 have any dim spots.
Good to know, I ended up buying a used cluster off of ebay with only 8636 miles on it. So will have my miles programmed in and drop that cluster into my car. I definitely am a perfectionist when it comes to my gauges lol, idk why. But it bothers me. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Bichon
I also took a careful look this morning. Backlighting of the speedo and tach is even and consistent on my cluster. A perfectionist may notice that my speedo and tach needles emit a slightly more blue-tinged white than the pure white emitted by the gas and temp needles, but it is so subtle that I can't say whether it has been that way since I bought the car, or became that way gradually over time.
Thanks for the info Bichon. I appreciate you checking on this. I would be the one to notice these kinds of things.
Old 06-19-19, 12:10 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Funny thing is is that I am almost 100% sure I can sell this cluster as 99% of people wouldnt notice it as that is how slight it is. I have cluster OCD for sure. Idk why.
Old 06-19-19, 06:59 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Yup , speedo and tach have a slight blue tint to them.
Old 06-19-19, 07:21 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Ok so sounds like I知 not going crazy. Thanks guys!
Old 06-21-19, 11:24 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

We can help if anyone's still looking for a repair or replacement cluster!

The repair will fix the dim gauge needles and we can replace the backlighting as well.
http://bit.ly/2006-2013-lexusIS-cluster-repair

Otherwise, a replacement cluster from us will be fully refurbished and we'll program your mileage into it, too.
http://bit.ly/2006-20130-lexusIS-cluster
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 06-21-19, 11:45 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Hey guys so was bored tonight and had my old cluster sitting around so I decided to take it apart. What I found was that those of us that say our 0 MPH and 0 RPM area looks like a slightly different shade of brightness we are NOT going crazy at all. What I found proves why this area looks a slightly different shade. Check out the below pics and explanations. I also took a video of me lining the gauge face back over it to prove what I am saying anyone wants to see it PM me.

The top bulb in the red circle is near the 20MPH the 0 MPH is literally in the zone that both circles encompass. All the other numbers have 2 bulbs flanking their sides except the 0 MPH and 0 RPM. The 160MPH and 8000 RPM are situated almost directly on top of their respective LEDs hence why their coloring isn't any different light-wise.

Tachometer is the same as driver side in terms of placement of the bulbs and pattern.

Close up of what the 0 sits on top of.

These white shields help to spread light evenly across the gauge face.

Last edited by peanut220; 06-22-19 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ultra4 (06-22-19)

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster question