IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is250 no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19 | 12:55 PM
OHLexusFan
Driver School Candidate

Default is250 no start issue

Hello everyone,

First post here, even though I’ve been reading posts on here for a while.

Yes, I’ve searched and read all sorts of posts about no start issues, and I haven’t found anything exactly like mine. I appreciate the knowledge I’ve found on this forum versus other Lexus forums, and used such knowledge to help me replace my alternator.

So, I have a 2009 is250 awd with around 177k. It had been running fine, no starting issues or stalling. Then one day it just wouldn’t start. Fuel pump was priming, engine was turning over, just not firing. Tried the fix for if it was flooded, still nothing. No CEL, but I unhooked the battery and let the ECM reset, and eventually it started, whether the ECM reset had anything to do with it or not, I’m not sure because that doesn’t help now.

Ive checked the fuses and fp relay, and it appears that’s all good. I still can hit the start button and hear the pump prime, just won’t start. So, I did shoot some starting fluid in it and it fired right up and continued to run. I even drove it around and seemed like it was running normal. So, I’m assuming from that it’s some sort of pressure issue appon the starting cycle? One thing I have noticed, but only since the initial no start problem was that the pump gets noisier at times, which I thought maybe I had just bought some contaminated fuel, but I’ve since put several gallons of premium in it and no difference. I’ve also noticed that the fuel pump sounds like it’s priming after the ignition is turned off, whereas I didn’t notice that before.

I have not had had a chance to have it scanned, but wasn’t sure if there is no CEL, if anything would even show up? So, before I just run out and buy a new pump, which I will probably just change anyway due to the miles and not knowing if it’s ever been changed(I purchased the car used). Was just wanting to see what input I could get from someone else, because I’ve been reading for days and can’t find anything about a similar experience. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-19-19 | 01:42 PM
Gville350

Initially, I'm thinking you might have the fuel pressure sensor issue. People have mentioned that they've been able to easily start their car after disconnecting the sensor. Give that a try.

FYI, plenty of threads on here on this topic; you might have additional helpful tips/pictures.
Old 07-19-19 | 06:29 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

My fuel pump started sporadically making noise too. A few days later the car wouldn't start. Unfortunately it chose to fail completely when I was 50 minutes from home, and at night. Tow truck time. Given my experience, I think your diagnosis is likely spot-on, and I'd recommend addressing it sooner rather than later.
Old 07-27-19 | 06:35 PM
OHLexusFan
Driver School Candidate

So, after testing various components and replacing the fuel pump with a used fuel pump, which ended up not working even though it was claimed it was tested and did. My fault for trying to save some money.

I started messing around with my old pump and put power to it and it seemed to be pumping just fine, but I noticed that the, excuse my lack of a term for this, what I’m going to call a top cap of the assembly(the part underneath of the top part that is visible when installed), was unclipped on one side.

As a reminder, my no start issue was just suddenly with no other signs of a problem. Well, while I was trying to get it to start the fuel pump which had never sounded abnormal, would occasionally get louder then go back to sounding normal.

So, I swapped the fuel pumps to return the one I just purchased, and installed my old one that I “fixed” by clipping that cap back in place, and the car started right up. And so far after lots of driving it around and restarting it haven’t had an issue yet. I’m still going to order a new pump, due to the mileage.

I know I was very careful when I removed my original pump, so I can’t see where that would have caused the pump to come apart like that. Has anyone ever heard of that happening to a fuel pump assembly while it was installed in the tank?

I’m going to continue to drive it around and if it doesn’t start again I’m going to check and see if it has come apart like that again.