IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ported lower intake manifold installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 09:30 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Ported lower intake manifold installed!

Hi guys

I feel that our intake manifold on both is250 and 350 could use some work. There are proven result that porting the ISF manifold does provide marginal gain. If i am not mistaken about 10-15 hp.Unlike the ISF, there are no aftermarket mod for IS250/350 manifold in the market.

Right now my car is running PPE header, custom 2.5 INCH pipe, Magna-flow cat, stock resonator and Suruga loop sound exhaust with a ECU refresh running E20 Gas making about 310 HP.
With this current setup I can feel that the car hesitate little bit at Low to mid range around 2000-3500 RPM, but once pass 3500 RPM it pulls very hard to the top end. I think this is because I decided to go with 2.5 inch instead of 2.25 inch. Regardless, it still runs 0-60 less than 5 sec all day even the temp here are very high (100-110F during the day) but the wait at mid range does bug me sometimes

So I went on eBay and got a spare is350 lower intake manifold to play with. Honestly, my expectation was low haha. People from this forum are saying that it won’t do much if I don’t continue on the head and valve. But my good friend runs a machine shop and he charges me next to nothing for porting the manifold so I think it worth a shot.

I sent it in asking him to polish and expand the port if possible. Got it back a month later with a bill of 30$

The surface of the factory manifold is very rough. Polished one are very smooth and shiny and a little bigger as-well

Managed to find some free time last week so i installed it with the help of my friends. Installing process is fairly simple but it does required you to remove the pressured fuel lines so thing could go south if you are not careful.

While I was in there, I took at all the injector and clean the throttle body as well

All the process took about 2 hr and she is ready for a test drive.

The car starts right up without hesitation and idle smoothly. ECU seems happy and adjust itself without problem. Once she is warmed up we took her for a spin and did some WOT pull

Managed to do 4 WOT pull 1st 2nd gear pull

and my serpentine belt snap!!!!!!!!!

Dammit!

Went back to the shop and found out that the AC compressor froze and blew it self. It was a big mess.

Had to ordered some parts and now I have to wait and the AC compressor is not cheap.

Anyway, those WOT pull I made. My BUTT DYNO say it is much better especially at those mid range that the car lacks. It rev thru it much quicker. The car feel very strong. The engine sound changes and it seems happier at High RPM it screams louder and you can hear the air rushing thru.

With the price I paid minus the AC compressor/belt. it is definitely worth it. For you guys who lives in The States and having to pay big bucks for labor it may or may not. Or it could be a fun DIY project for you to do if you can source the part.

I really want to continue the job to its head and valve but we don't sell this model here in Thailand so no parts are available and I don't want to risk tearing the only engine I have with out spare.

Anyway, I will try to get it to the Dyno shop and see if it does really make good number like my butt feel will keep you guys posted!

Last edited by Thannp; 08-25-19 at 09:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Thannp:
bbaugher47 (08-26-19), DickH (10-02-19), maeveLexi (08-26-19), petershen (08-13-21)
Old 08-26-19, 06:05 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Good luck!
Old 08-26-19, 06:41 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

keep up the good work
Old 08-26-19, 06:44 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Good job. A little porting never hurts.

With all that blackened oil / refrigerant in that compressor you need back flush solvent through the evaporator core and replace the dryer and condenser and at a minimum, the line from the compressor to the condenser. If you don't debris from the explosion will kill your new compressor.

Backflush several times and then replace condenser, lines and all that. Flush again and again it this will repeat. Pull a vacuum for several hours before recharging as the humidity there needs pulled out. I would suggest 4 hours before recharging.
GL
Old 08-26-19, 05:40 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Good job. A little porting never hurts.

With all that blackened oil / refrigerant in that compressor you need back flush solvent through the evaporator core and replace the dryer and condenser and at a minimum, the line from the compressor to the condenser. If you don't debris from the explosion will kill your new compressor.

Backflush several times and then replace condenser, lines and all that. Flush again and again it this will repeat. Pull a vacuum for several hours before recharging as the humidity there needs pulled out. I would suggest 4 hours before recharging.
GL
Thanks for the tip! Will definitely have to follow your advice. A brand new Denso compressor is on its way hopefully this will be a last one i have to replaced.

I thought the clutch is designed to disengage the AC when engine is on high load. My AC compressor must be on its way out even the clutch couldnt do its job.
Old 08-26-19, 08:25 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Why they never have an inline filter is beyond me.

As for the clutch, it appears to have 2 control mechanisms. The standard on/off at the pulley and the variable efficiency of the compressor stage. In short if the ECU doesn't disengage it electrically for over-rev protection, the unit won't protect itself.

You could add a layer of prevention but it would likely light up your dash with errors.
In short when running near WOT throttle the engine vacuum drops. Old school trick was to place a vacuum cutout switch in line with the compressor clutch. So if the vacuum drops too low during acceleration, the compressor clutch is disengaged. But I think doing this on this car would trigger CEL. It is cheap insurance if this is a true issue.
Old 08-31-19, 04:59 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Default Some update!

Got the car back and running. Flushing the AC system was a pain. I am glad it was over and now she is blowing cold air.

Went to the dyno today and did some pulls. I am glad that my butt dyno wasn't wrong. The car made big number even I was very surprised! But it did lose some TQ when its get warmer

Will upload the dyno graph when I get home.
Old 08-31-19, 11:35 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Default Dyno result

These are the results from the dyno pull I did today compare with dyno run I did one year earlier with the same set up except the ported lower intake manifold

Temperature and humidity are similar and it was done at the same dyno with same SAE correction

It gained 10HP and a few TQ but I did notice that when the car heats up it lose some TQ.

Did about 6 runs and the result is pretty constant.

Hope this new info will benefit you guys in some way!

The following 2 users liked this post by Thannp:
bbaugher47 (09-01-19), petershen (08-13-21)
Old 09-06-19, 10:42 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Still jealous of your exhaust there!
Old 09-06-19, 10:48 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gville350
Still jealous of your exhaust there!
Sound of it at the Dyno

The following 2 users liked this post by Thannp:
EDUSAN (10-27-20), petershen (08-13-21)
Old 11-04-19, 08:33 PM
JayLexin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Respect, thanks for sharing and solid numbers. One of the biggest NA 2GR-FSE I have seen, you should be happy
Old 11-04-19, 09:16 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JayLexin
Respect, thanks for sharing and solid numbers. One of the biggest NA 2GR-FSE I have seen, you should be happy
Thanks!

Check out my latest mod

E85 tune! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ne-result.html

Better throttle response better low-end TQ more HP

but not so good gas milage haha.
The following users liked this post:
JayLexin (11-21-19)
Old 11-21-19, 08:53 PM
JayLexin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile 0-100

Originally Posted by Thannp
Sound of it at the Dyno

https://youtu.be/u6v_dn1mVi0
0-100 in 5.17 sec is great, has anyone logged a faster time in maybe better conditions (not the humid Thailand) ?

Old 11-22-19, 08:51 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JayLexin
0-100 in 5.17 sec is great, has anyone logged a faster time in maybe better conditions (not the humid Thailand) ?
Right now with the E85 tune it is under 5 sec. Will post the video soon.
Old 11-22-19, 07:38 PM
017sebasty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for experimenting with your car ... it's not easy but you give us a lot of info... this really helps when trying to maximize this platform
The following users liked this post:
JayLexin (11-23-19)

Quick Reply: Ported lower intake manifold installed!