IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

blinking third light 2is

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-19, 01:08 PM
Galaxygoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blinking third light 2is

I'm looking to add the 3rd blinking.like to my is250. is it possible to code my original light or would I have to buy an aftermarket one? please respond. thanks

trying to get something like https://youtu.be/CuiIWQyJUt8
video of Club Lexus Member: JT2MA71

Last edited by Galaxygoon; 09-05-19 at 01:10 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-05-19, 01:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,354 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ake-light.html

Lou
Old 10-02-19, 09:09 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 249 Posts

I did it on my 3IS, should be similar. Connector might actually be the same for 2IS also.
Old 10-02-19, 09:51 PM
AyyLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what kind of safety improvement you're expecting to gain here. Every time I see a blinking CHMSL, I always do a double take. I pause for a second, and then I brake later than I would have with a regular CHMSL.

There's a reason blinking CHMSLs are federally illegal. Will you be pulled over for it? Probably not. Does not getting pulled over for something make it a good idea? No. (In Florida, you couldn't get cited over for texting+driving until recently.)

https://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/GFES04-2-000636.html

There is, however, something that you can do that will tangibly increase your safety/decrease the chances of a rear-ender. That's called moving the CHMSL to the upper part of the rear glass. The CHMSL, as mounted, is relatively low. The purpose of the CHMSL is to enable other drivers to see that you are braking, even if one or more of your main brake lamps are obscured by other vehicles. Imagine driving a Corvette or another very low car. Many brake lamps are going to be blocked by something as mundane as a Camry because you're basically sitting on the asphalt. The higher the CHMSL is, the better of a chance you can see someone's braking from your Corvette. If your CHMSL is mere inches above your brake lamps, then you might not see that someone's braking because there's a Camry in your line-of-sight. If your CHMSL is up at the top of your back glass, near the roof, then you have a better chance of seeing that someone's braking, even if a Camry is in your way.

So, my suggestion is to consider moving the CHMSL to the upper part of your back glass and leaving the flashing stuff alone. Tap the existing wires, extend them a bit, and use double-sided tape to stick the CHMSL to the top of the back glass, and voila, instant (and proven) safety improvement for just a few dollars of double-sided tape and a few feet of wire.

If my girlfriend, or wife, or family member drove a IS, I would move the CHMSL to the upper portion of the back glass and leave all the flashing stuff alone. The flashing/blinking stuff sounds nice in theory, but may or may not play out in real life. It could help. It could do nothing. It could hurt. You're literally taking a gamble with your car and health with the flashing stuff, as there is no research either way, only people making up numbers and science trying to sell you their latest flasher module.

But there is definitely a proven improvement with moving a CHMSL higher up to be more visible. It's not exactly profitable to sell a roll of double-sided tape to help someone stick a CHMSL higher up, so there are way fewer proponents of this . Personally, I prefer to stay away with gambles regarding my safety, and sticking with the proven stuff.

Last edited by AyyLS400; 10-02-19 at 10:06 PM.