IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

help, headlight out

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 06:00 PM
crazylexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation help, headlight out

hi, so I was changing my HID ballast on the left headlight and when I connected the light, the left headlight turned on but the right didn't turn on, the only thing on was the parking light for the right light. Car shows a right turn signal when lights on the left are on. also, when hazards are on, the left turn signal is normal but right turn signal fades away in the cluster. I'm not positive if its a wiring issue but please, if anyone has any idea what this could be, please let me know.

Thanks, Serg
Old 09-26-19, 01:33 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Can't answer the why part but it sounds like right side lost its ground and is relying on feed back through other connections to obtain a ground path.
Old 09-27-19, 06:07 AM
crazylexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Can't answer the why part but it sounds like right side lost its ground and is relying on feed back through other connections to obtain a ground path.
also, i took the headlight off and i found that there is a wire leading from the ballast to a end that looks like it goes in with a screw. what is making me confused is that the right light has that on the ballast but the left doesn't, do you happen to know what it is?
Old 09-27-19, 02:18 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by crazylexus
also, i took the headlight off and i found that there is a wire leading from the ballast to a end that looks like it goes in with a screw. what is making me confused is that the right light has that on the ballast but the left doesn't, do you happen to know what it is?
Not exactly but best guess is with high voltage potential; it is ground to the chassis. Does it look factory installed?

With a DMM or 12v test lamp you need to verify the wire to the connector is grounded and the wires after the connector are grounded.

Make a 1 year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com and read the schematic. Its like $22.
Old 09-27-19, 02:20 PM
crazylexus
Driver School Candidate

Not exactly but best guess is with high voltage potential; it is ground to the chassis. Does it look factory installed?

With a DMM or 12v test lamp you need to verify the wire to the connector is grounded and the wires after the connector are grounded.

Make a 1 year subscription to www.alldatadiy.com and read the schematic. Its like $22.
Thanks so much for the help and info! ill update you on the situation.
Old 09-28-19, 09:51 AM
crazylexus
Driver School Candidate

Hey so i fixed the problem! it was the ballast’s ground connector. i connected it with a bolt to the chassis and works fine! thanks so much for the help.
Old 09-29-19, 05:51 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by crazylexus
Hey so i fixed the problem! it was the ballast’s ground connector. i connected it with a bolt to the chassis and works fine! thanks so much for the help.
Excellent. Good to hear.

So what happened to the original ballasts / bulbs?
Old 11-16-19, 08:38 PM
crazylexus
Driver School Candidate

Excellent. Good to hear.

So what happened to the original ballasts / bulbs?
Sorry for the late response, but the Ballast was rusted out bad due to the headlights having a leak somewhere. i solved the issue by getting halogen aftermarket headlights and just swapping my HID ballast + bulbs over to those headlights. From what I know, the car was in a crash with the 3rd owner and that same headlight didn't have a ballast, so i bought a ballast and it worked fine. 3 weeks later the other ballast was shot, so i ordered a new one to replace it and as i saw, it was shot as well. recently before the headlight change, i took my Lexus to a car wash where it had pressure washer jets and such, when suddenly i went for a night run to eat some Wendy’s and noticed the left headlight was out. so when the new headlights came, and i took the new ballasts out to swap them, the first ballast i replaced was starting to rust away, so good thing i bought the new headlights or the same problem would’ve occurred again.

Thank God that it wasn't a car issue that caused it but a water leak issue.