IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

P/S problems help please?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 01:48 AM
Freelexy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P/S problems help please?

So I have a 2006 Lexus is350 and in this last week my power steering light has come on the thing is sometimes it appears and disappears,but recently it will appear and makes my steering hard,but if I turn the vehicle off the light will disappear and it won’t appear again until I turn it off and turn it on again or if I’m idle it will pop up again.I already tried scanning it with an ob2 scanner and nothing came up so idk what can be wrong with it I’m guessing the module or the rack?
Old 10-14-19, 06:37 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Freelexy
So I have a 2006 Lexus is350 and in this last week my power steering light has come on the thing is sometimes it appears and disappears,but recently it will appear and makes my steering hard,but if I turn the vehicle off the light will disappear and it won’t appear again until I turn it off and turn it on again or if I’m idle it will pop up again.I already tried scanning it with an ob2 scanner and nothing came up so idk what can be wrong with it I’m guessing the module or the rack?
Sounds like the classic alternator / battery combo. Get them both checked and seeings you had work done, take it back and walk under the car looking for missing ground straps that they didn't attach when the transmission went back in. Technically the main ground to the engine should be adequate but the others go from body to trans and although unlikely to cause a PS issue, should still be checked and the engine and trans are mounted in rubber as is the PS rack.
Old 10-14-19, 08:07 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Though I too first would suspect the alternator on its way out (replace sooner than later), I've read of members having issues with their power steering ECUs. Some ended up just replacing the entire ECU.

Keep us updated on your findings.
Old 10-31-19, 07:19 PM
Freelexy
Driver School Candidate

Default Fix

Originally Posted by Gville350
Though I too first would suspect the alternator on its way out (replace sooner than later), I've read of members having issues with their power steering ECUs. Some ended up just replacing the entire ECU.

Keep us updated on your findings.
So after two weeks I finally was able to find the solution. What ended up happening was that my rack and pinion had failed,but not only that my harness that was connected to it was severed like somebody had cut it and it was really hard to find the culprit hence the time delay to respond.Anyways we put a remanufactured pinion and replaced the harness and the power steering light went away and good as new sucks it took that long because like I said we scanned it and everything and the ecu wouldn’t send signal because as I mentioned we ended up discovering that my harness was severed but it was hard to find it at first since the wire that was snapped was like hidden.
Old 11-01-19, 07:42 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Good to hear you found the issue. Do you think that you could have ran over something that caused this issue? I do not recall if the under covering cover that particular area or not. Do you run an under engine cover?
Old 11-01-19, 12:24 PM
Freelexy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Good to hear you found the issue. Do you think that you could have ran over something that caused this issue? I do not recall if the under covering cover that particular area or not. Do you run an under engine cover?
The thing is gville the it looked like if something/someone cut the harness which is crazy. I think it was just a freak accident because what are the odds right?anyways no I took the covers off ever since this car has been giving me problems since I’m always working on it,or I have people working on it so it’s a hassle to put all the plastic covers back on and take them off. Also the covers don’t cover that area since it’s already covered by the battery and the P/S ecu lid. Anyways glad to found the problem and in the future if that ever happens to any other user they should first check their harness and then proceed with the steering ecu and finally the rack and pinion.
Old 11-05-19, 07:20 AM
Nilanh
Driver School Candidate

Default P/S on dash car won’t start

Hello I have a 2008 IS 250.. P/S lights is on and car won’t start.. hook obd scanner up but it won’t scan either.. any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-05-19, 07:38 AM
Nilanh
Driver School Candidate

Default Same type problem

My 2008 Lexus IS 250 has the P/S light on and car won’t start.. can’t scan it either.. anything you done to fix it?
Old 11-05-19, 08:38 AM
Freelexy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nilanh
Hello I have a 2008 IS 250.. P/S lights is on and car won’t start.. hook obd scanner up but it won’t scan either.. any advice would be greatly appreciated
Does it start up when you press the start engine?or is it just dead?if so do your lights turn on if they don’t it could be your starter.As to the p/s it could be your ecu or your rack and pinion or in my case my rack and pinion harness was snapped.
Old 11-05-19, 10:41 AM
Nilanh
Driver School Candidate

Does it start up when you press the start engine?or is it just dead?if so do your lights turn on if they don’t it could be your starter.As to the p/s it could be your ecu or your rack and pinion or in my case my rack and pinion harness was snapped.
Car won’t start..lights works.. with the PS light on it won’t allow the obd to scan either.
Old 11-05-19, 11:41 AM
Freelexy
Driver School Candidate

Car won’t start..lights works.. with the PS light on it won’t allow the obd to scan either.
Then it might be your starter that’s what happened to my Lexus it wouldn’t start it was dead but the lights would work.as to your p/s light it could be your ecu or your rack and pinion.Cheapest fix would be replacing your ecu and seeing if the light goes away but you would be better off having a mechanic look at it.But that might be your problem with your p/s is those two things most likely again only a mechanic can tell you for certain but that might be what’s wrong with your car.
Old 11-05-19, 12:50 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

So what you are saying that the scanner can't communicate with the ECU? If so you probably have a bad fuel pressure sensor. This is why the car won't start. Search threads on this it comes up every time. You can disconnect the fuel pressure sensor, and it may start once. Then probably die out shortly, but one tell sign of no communication from the OBDII port. Is a bad fuel pressure sensor.