IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 E85 custom tune result!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-19, 02:37 PM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Developing the idea of multiple TBs a little further, I had to find out what the IAT, MAF, and VVT sensors were looking for from the harness itself, but I can say with a fair amount of confidence that our throttle bodies are wired:

1:Blade PWM -
2:Blade PWM +
3:+5v from ECU
4: TP sensor 2
5: Low Reference
6: TP sensor 1

Which means the X2 controller I linked above can, indeed, control Toyota TBs. I won't be the one spending the money to find out on this endeavor--I'm at least a year away from being able to add another big Lex project to the queue--but I'll gladly burn glucose with my brain on anyone's behalf about how to pull it off.

My idea is epoxy/composite laminate construction--glass, carbon, basalt, kevlar, whatever--a cored and bushed baseplate to bolt to the engine, with the rest of the geometry stolen from R35 manifolds. I haven't gotten in there and fiddled around with 3" pipe yet, but I suspect 1 of 2 crazy things may need to happen: either we'll need to face the throttle bodies backward to ease plumbing of the MAF, or move to a MAF location like the IS-F. Or spend more money at torque rush and get the MAF splitter with the X2...then you gotta locate the second one. I dunno. Just burnin' sugar.
Old 12-07-19, 06:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Still for sale if anyone wants it! http://www.lynxae.co.uk/ForSale-1.htm

That sure looks *****in!!! Throttle response would be damn good!
You should be the first to cut a giant hole in your hood for velocity stacks!

Ultra, what is R35?
Old 12-07-19, 06:29 PM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Nissan GT-R R35. Even the factory intake on the VR38DETT gives you an idea of the ideal way to split the 2GR-FSE's injector/midplate ports into 2 throttle bodies. If you absolutely must have individuals, then you can google pictures of the guy that made a dual-TB setup for a Honda J-series by running a longer axle through the driven throttle body. I'd imagine you'd be able to get away with the driven TB being in the middle, so as to even out the load across the axle and help the PWMs stay cooler. Some sealed ball bearings would also go a long way.

MAF plumbing is only difficult if you want to keep a "factory" air box. If you're willing to sanitize the engine bay of wire looms and plastic casings, maybe move the battery to the trunk, and tuck the electronics/relays down low, then you've got more room to do whatever you can think of for air filtering and tubing. Again, imagination.
Old 12-07-19, 07:18 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra4
Nissan GT-R R35. Even the factory intake on the VR38DETT gives you an idea of the ideal way to split the 2GR-FSE's injector/midplate ports into 2 throttle bodies. If you absolutely must have individuals, then you can google pictures of the guy that made a dual-TB setup for a Honda J-series by running a longer axle through the driven throttle body. I'd imagine you'd be able to get away with the driven TB being in the middle, so as to even out the load across the axle and help the PWMs stay cooler. Some sealed ball bearings would also go a long way.

MAF plumbing is only difficult if you want to keep a "factory" air box. If you're willing to sanitize the engine bay of wire looms and plastic casings, maybe move the battery to the trunk, and tuck the electronics/relays down low, then you've got more room to do whatever you can think of for air filtering and tubing. Again, imagination.

I just wish that someone came out with a kit that would work haha so less work for us. Maybe RRracing will look in to it someday
Old 12-07-19, 07:34 PM
Ultra4
Intermediate

I feel like I'm shilling for them at this point, but...

The X2 controller I linked from Torque Rush can receive and output what our throttle bodies need...ours is just a re-pinned 3x2 connector, if you must reference something with the same signal needs.

Someone's going to need to buy that controller and two smaller digital throttle bodies, to bolt onto a custom-made manifold, and see what happens. It won't be me because I have a 4GR, and thus too much stuff to engineer, compared to putting that level of money and effort into other things, as I am now.

I figure this is the appropriate thread, since we're at the bleeding edge of N/A 2GR-FSE performance in this thread.

Edit: here, for those who need it broken down Barney-style...

Last edited by Ultra4; 12-08-19 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-17-19, 09:55 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thannp
I did try to ask the tuner but he didn't say but on my educated guess I think we still have room for the stock injector. RR racing did E40 tune with their supercharged is350 with stock injector
He didn't know the DUTY CYCLE of the injectors???? And he said he THINKS you still have injector room? How much "room" in injector has is kind of important when tuning lol. This must be known, otherwise, when at WOT and at peak power, how does he know where to proceed from there if the tune's not done yet??? This scares the crap out of me. No way I believe his machine doesn't see duty cycle.
Old 12-17-19, 10:14 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
He didn't know the DUTY CYCLE of the injectors???? And he said he THINKS you still have injector room? How much "room" in injector has is kind of important when tuning lol. This must be known, otherwise, when at WOT and at peak power, how does he know where to proceed from there if the tune's not done yet??? This scares the crap out of me. No way I believe his machine doesn't see duty cycle.

Of course he knew but he didn't care to tell me. At WOT AF ratio looks good and the injector have no problem handling 15% more fuel. Also before I did the tune I did Email RRracing and they confirm that I will have enough injector for E85 on FBO NA setup. So I have nothing to worry about regarding the injector.

The car is running great for 4,000 Mile Will be doing my first oil change when it come out of the body shop
Old 05-11-20, 02:39 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

How is the car running? I have been looking at all your videos to see what I could do to my GS350 F-Sport
Old 05-11-20, 07:10 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bob256k
How is the car running? I have been looking at all your videos to see what I could do to my GS350 F-Sport
still runs great just did about 8,000 miles on the car since the tune. No problem with the fuel delivery system.
Old 06-05-20, 10:00 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

still runs great just did about 8,000 miles on the car since the tune. No problem with the fuel delivery system.
commented on your YT video but this is easier.

How many miles per tank are you getting on e85?
Old 06-05-20, 11:23 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pittsy
commented on your YT video but this is easier.

How many miles per tank are you getting on e85?
9 mpg on the track
16 mpg driving in the city with some stop light pull
21 mpg Highway

Old 06-05-20, 11:25 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

9 mpg on the track
16 mpg driving in the city with some stop light pull
21 mpg Highway
Im assuming youre using all 12 injectors? any underfueling issues?
Old 06-05-20, 11:35 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Im assuming youre using all 12 injectors? any underfueling issues?
All 12 stock injector is used. No underfueling issue for NA application but not sure if you go with force induction.

Old 06-28-20, 11:01 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

please delete
Old 12-02-20, 11:19 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Some updates

It has been about a year since I did the tune. Put on about 19,000 Mile on the engine with E85 only.

Lots of midnight run and pulls. No track day yet because of covid-19. Averaging about 15 MPG for the last 19,000 mile

Still on stock injector and fuel pump.

No leaks and corrosion on the fuel line

Quick Reply: IS350 E85 custom tune result!