IS350 E85 custom tune result!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 11:26 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts
Default IS350 E85 custom tune result!

Before we start I would like to make sure that we have the same understanding

1.) The car is tuned by a different tuner therefore it was dynoed on a different dyno.
2.) So the result may not be direct comparison with my old E20 tune but I will try my best to show you how the car behaves with the new E85 fuel.
3.) Any Dynapack dyno if setup and calibrated correctly and operate by an honest tuner can provide accurate reading that is not higher than a roller dyno. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...d-know-649023/)

Lets begin

The previous engine modification I did to my car was to install the ported lower intake manifold

It made 317WHP and 276 ft/lbs with E20 on a Dynojet.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html

I use this car as a daily and the shop is not able to drain the tank on the spot and I would like to get my E% up as high as possible so what I did was run a blend of E20 and E85 for a tank 50/50 until it is bone dry and filled the car up all the way with E85 and limp to the shop.

It drove alright with 50/50 but I don't think the car would enjoy pure E85 without a tune.

THE BASE RUN

We don't really have a base run because I already had E85 in the tank and it is not a smart idea to do a WOT with this lean condition so the tuner add 15% of fuel across the board and leave all other perimeter as it was. Just to see what kind of number we are getting

We did 2 run and get a constant result

POWER 323WHP/ TQ37KG/M or 267 Lb/ft (More power when compare to my previous run on dynojets but less TQ)

The guy spent about 3 HR. working on the map. He went back and forth adjusting the fuel and timing on all the rev range. Had about 5 map in total. We ran about 10 RUN in total and the car was strong no fuel pressure problem and the injector are providing enough flow for E85

Every map the car is responding positively and on the last map he created the car made 331WHP/39.2 KG/M or 282.5 Lb/ft

+8WHP + 2.2 KG/M or 15Lb/Ft from the BASERUN
+14WHP / +7Lb/Ft from from Dynojets run (E20)

As you may see on the graph. With E85 the car did not pick up a whole lot on the top end but it did pickup quite a bit on the mid range. Both HP and TQ

The tuner also add that the 2GR-FSE is a very good engine it can carry strong TQ until 6500RPM and we should not mess with a higher lifter cam for street use. The engine provide enough TQ at the High rev on the stock set up.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS

Of course I tired WOT right away haha and was a little disappointed because my but dyno can't really tell a different. Don't get me wrong she still pull very hard and she rip through 1st and 2nd gear but the difference is not big enough to notice maybe I should do 0-200 KM/h again to see if it is actually faster but actually make sense because we didn't pickup much on the top end.

However, it is another story when I tried kick down. I am sure this tuner did his job a whole lot better than the my old tuner. The car is more refine. Throttle response is much better. Power delivery is very smooth. She is more peppy on MID END. It does rev up quicker and get itself in to the power band much faster. I don't feel the TQ dip around 3500-4000 RPM anymore.

IN CONCLUSION

We all know the Pros and Cons of the E85fuel and for my case I think I will benefit more from it so I decided to go ahead and take my chance and it is definitely worth it! Only time will tell if I make the right decision feeding her with E85 but it the mean time I will enjoy the moment.

I am very excited to see what our car can achieve on NA application. I know number does not mean much and dyno are there to check if you are actually make and improvement with your new tune or things you install.

BUT 331 WHP is not bad!

Also, I think my car is the first IS350 that get a proper custom tune for E85 Fuel. I hope this real world experience will benefit our CL community in someway!

Thanks!

Last edited by Thannp; 10-31-19 at 11:36 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Thannp:
GrizzlyMan (04-18-21), JayLexin (11-21-19), nikolaione (01-27-22)
Old 10-31-19, 12:13 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

The 3IS guys did e85 a while back, and it's really just more of a butt dyno thing than anything from what it looked like: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nd-of-e85.html

I'd be more concerned about the fuel pump and the various fuel components though over time considering this car wasn't actually designed to take E85. Specifically the fuel pump in this case if E85 will be ran all the time.
Old 10-31-19, 08:21 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Zmon
The 3IS guys did e85 a while back, and it's really just more of a butt dyno thing than anything from what it looked like: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nd-of-e85.html

I'd be more concerned about the fuel pump and the various fuel components though over time considering this car wasn't actually designed to take E85. Specifically the fuel pump in this case if E85 will be ran all the time.
Thanks. I consult with a Lexus mechanic from the dealer before I did the tune. He said that most of the fuel components on 2IS are made from steel only a small piece on the engine bay that is made from rubber which can easily be replaced and yes the low pressure fuel pump in the tank could cost a problem too. I will keep track on how many mile it can take before it dies.

Any recommendation for a aftermarket fuel pump that would fit our car and designed for E85?

Thanks
Old 11-01-19, 07:39 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Any idea what duty cycle the injectors were seeing on E85?
Old 11-01-19, 09:26 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gville350
Any idea what duty cycle the injectors were seeing on E85?
I did try to ask the tuner but he didn't say but on my educated guess I think we still have room for the stock injector. RR racing did E40 tune with their supercharged is350 with stock injector
Old 11-21-19, 09:03 PM
JayLexin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thannp
Before we start I would like to make sure that we have the same understanding

1.) The car is tuned by a different tuner therefore it was dynoed on a different dyno.
2.) So the result may not be direct comparison with my old E20 tune but I will try my best to show you how the car behaves with the new E85 fuel.
3.) Any Dynapack dyno if setup and calibrated correctly and operate by an honest tuner can provide accurate reading that is not higher than a roller dyno. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...d-know-649023/)

Lets begin

The previous engine modification I did to my car was to install the ported lower intake manifold

It made 317WHP and 276 ft/lbs with E20 on a Dynojet.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html

I use this car as a daily and the shop is not able to drain the tank on the spot and I would like to get my E% up as high as possible so what I did was run a blend of E20 and E85 for a tank 50/50 until it is bone dry and filled the car up all the way with E85 and limp to the shop.

It drove alright with 50/50 but I don't think the car would enjoy pure E85 without a tune.

THE BASE RUN

We don't really have a base run because I already had E85 in the tank and it is not a smart idea to do a WOT with this lean condition so the tuner add 15% of fuel across the board and leave all other perimeter as it was. Just to see what kind of number we are getting

We did 2 run and get a constant result

POWER 323WHP/ TQ37KG/M or 267 Lb/ft (More power when compare to my previous run on dynojets but less TQ)

The guy spent about 3 HR. working on the map. He went back and forth adjusting the fuel and timing on all the rev range. Had about 5 map in total. We ran about 10 RUN in total and the car was strong no fuel pressure problem and the injector are providing enough flow for E85

Every map the car is responding positively and on the last map he created the car made 331WHP/39.2 KG/M or 282.5 Lb/ft

+8WHP + 2.2 KG/M or 15Lb/Ft from the BASERUN
+14WHP / +7Lb/Ft from from Dynojets run (E20)

As you may see on the graph. With E85 the car did not pick up a whole lot on the top end but it did pickup quite a bit on the mid range. Both HP and TQ

The tuner also add that the 2GR-FSE is a very good engine it can carry strong TQ until 6500RPM and we should not mess with a higher lifter cam for street use. The engine provide enough TQ at the High rev on the stock set up.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS

Of course I tired WOT right away haha and was a little disappointed because my but dyno can't really tell a different. Don't get me wrong she still pull very hard and she rip through 1st and 2nd gear but the difference is not big enough to notice maybe I should do 0-200 KM/h again to see if it is actually faster but actually make sense because we didn't pickup much on the top end.

However, it is another story when I tried kick down. I am sure this tuner did his job a whole lot better than the my old tuner. The car is more refine. Throttle response is much better. Power delivery is very smooth. She is more peppy on MID END. It does rev up quicker and get itself in to the power band much faster. I don't feel the TQ dip around 3500-4000 RPM anymore.

IN CONCLUSION

We all know the Pros and Cons of the E85fuel and for my case I think I will benefit more from it so I decided to go ahead and take my chance and it is definitely worth it! Only time will tell if I make the right decision feeding her with E85 but it the mean time I will enjoy the moment.

I am very excited to see what our car can achieve on NA application. I know number does not mean much and dyno are there to check if you are actually make and improvement with your new tune or things you install.

BUT 331 WHP is not bad!

Also, I think my car is the first IS350 that get a proper custom tune for E85 Fuel. I hope this real world experience will benefit our CL community in someway!

Thanks!
Thanks Thannp such a good read!
Old 11-22-19, 08:52 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JayLexin
Thanks Thannp such a good read!
Thank you!
Old 11-23-19, 07:33 PM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Default 0-150 MPH run with TC

Old 11-24-19, 03:13 PM
JayLexin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome, you are definitely the #1 for pushing the IS350 platform in NA form!! You should be proud.
Old 11-25-19, 10:05 AM
Gville350

Time for ITBs!
Old 11-25-19, 10:23 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Gville350
Time for ITBs!
With velocity stacks!
Old 11-25-19, 11:25 AM
Thannp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
With velocity stacks!

It would be awesome implementing an ITB on this engine. But I don't see how we could get this to work haha
Old 12-02-19, 10:24 AM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Thannp
It would be awesome implementing an ITB on this engine. But I don't see how we could get this to work haha
Pretty sure our throttle bodies are wired the same as the digital GM flat-6 plugs, with a J2716 SENT signal. If so, there's already an off-the-shelf solution: http://www.torquerush.com/x2.html

You 12-injector folks don't have anything but your imaginations stopping you. I have SCV and ACIS to plumb in the way.
Old 12-05-19, 10:03 AM
Gville350

Still for sale if anyone wants it! http://www.lynxae.co.uk/ForSale-1.htm

Old 12-05-19, 01:58 PM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Their site says bored and stroked, but I can't imagine they did that when 1GR cranks can be re-drilled for the smaller car pattern.

Originally Posted by Ultra4
Pretty sure our throttle bodies are wired the same as the digital GM flat-6 plugs, with a J2716 SENT signal. If so, there's already an off-the-shelf solution: http://www.torquerush.com/x2.html
As usual, I'm not quite right, not quite wrong. According to my manual, connector E17 (throttle body) is wired:
1-wht-"M-"
2-blk-"M+"
3-brn-"E2"
4-pnk-"VTA2"
5-blu-"VC"
6-grn-"VTA"

Which is not the GM standard "+5, Ref, Sen, +5, Ref, Sen" that's used on the digital LS vette TBs. Either way the TB circuit looks like M+ and M- are the motor voltage, both VTAs go to the ECU, E2 is in the MAF circuit, and VC is in the VVT circuit.

I'mna need some food to come back and process all that, but I figure if any of you are looking to run something like dual Yaris 55mm throttle bodies, it's useful info.

Edit: aight, I think I figured it out. E2 and VC are voltages in from the ECU. Before it hits the TB, E2 is spliced to power both the Ambient Temp Sensor and the MAF. VC's source is pin 29 on the ECU, and it is spliced to power Bank 1 Intake and Exhaust VVT sensors. Both VTA's are the typical two signals you get from a digital TB.

Last edited by Ultra4; 12-05-19 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: IS350 E85 custom tune result!