IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Auto-Folding Mirrors for £6.49 (GBP)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20, 08:19 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by ahmed24
They do tilt when reverse gear is engaged on the cars with folding mirrors.
Hmmmm....... Good to know! Thanks! Rarely need folding but tilt would be nice. I'm not certain it is worth all the work on cars not already equipped though!
Old 01-10-20, 08:58 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Hmmmm....... Good to know! Thanks! Rarely need folding but tilt would be nice. I'm not certain it is worth all the work on cars not already equipped though!
​​​​​​In UK folding mirrors are very handy as lots of our roads are tight and leaving mirrors open and parked on a road you are risking the chance of someone hitting your mirrors.

Mirrors tilting on reverse are very handy too as some of the kerbs are crazy high when parallel parking. So tilting mirrors do help. Tilting mirrors are easier to retrofit as long as you have electronically controlled mirrors. You could get aftermarket kits that send pulses of power on reverse for certain seconds and then do the same again for tilting mirrors up again.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20, 05:18 PM
MikeyStyle
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

mine tilt, but sadly i don't have auto folding
Old 01-11-20, 01:04 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Sorry correction: tilting mirrors on reverse come with certain variants and is not dependant on folding mirrors.
Old 01-26-20, 06:10 AM
zaneiken
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I myself would sign up for tilt mirrors while in rewind. Why didn't they do that from the factory!?

/return
They do, but only if the mirror adjustment switch is set to either left or right - it is disabled if the switch is in the neutral position.
Old 01-26-20, 06:48 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zaneiken
They do, but only if the mirror adjustment switch is set to either left or right - it is disabled if the switch is in the neutral position.
Thats true but you still have to have the feature. The feature isn't standard. In the UK it comes with only certain trim levels. You can get folding mirrors but no tilt.
Old 12-13-20, 12:16 PM
trujtru
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried following your instructions in the blogspot, but when I lock and unlock, the mirrors don't fold.

Troubleshoot:
-Mirror switch is not pressed down.
-If I remove the fuse from the module red wire, and plug it back in, the mirror folds in.
When I press the push start button to get ACC, the mirror will unfold.

I know the ACC, ground, and +12V should be correct based on above.

Tried pushing the mirror switch button down and then unlock and lock, doesn't work.

Now I'm wondering if I switched the +close and +open wires, or I have he wrong unlock/lock signal wires. Any idea?
Old 12-13-20, 09:39 PM
BabyGate
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I remember running into the same issue when I installed mine awhile back. Then realized the OP has a RHD. For 06-08 LHD, the purple wire is the unlock signal, green is the lock signal. Definitely try switch the close and open wires.
On my setup, I only connected the #7 Blue wire (lock+) to the Green wire, and left #6 unused. This is what they called smart mode. The mirror will fold when the door is locked, but will only unfold when ACC or Engine is on.
trujtru (12-14-20)
Old 12-14-20, 05:26 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trujtru
I tried following your instructions in the blogspot, but when I lock and unlock, the mirrors don't fold.

Troubleshoot:
-Mirror switch is not pressed down.
-If I remove the fuse from the module red wire, and plug it back in, the mirror folds in.
When I press the push start button to get ACC, the mirror will unfold.

I know the ACC, ground, and +12V should be correct based on above.

Tried pushing the mirror switch button down and then unlock and lock, doesn't work.

Now I'm wondering if I switched the +close and +open wires, or I have he wrong unlock/lock signal wires. Any idea?
When the car is on or the ignition is on, can you operate the mirror folding with the internal switch ? If so that would mean you have the correct ACC. Do you have a picture of the lock and unlock wiring connector that you connected the lock and unlock signals to?

Like @BabyGate said it could be that you have them wrong way round as my instructions are based on the European RHD models but I did mention to try and find the equivalent cable for your car. If you send me a pic of your connector and how you have connected to the lock actuator then I can have a look. There is the lock and unlock signal and there is also a double lock signal. You do not want the double lock either. What might be easier is if u make a little video and you can PM me the link the video demonstrating your setup so I can see if anything looks wrong.

It's a relatively straight forward mod for anyone who doesn't mind working with electronics. I've had quite a lot of feedback from people around the world installing this. There was one particular case of someone who was unlucky and had a faulty fold module.
trujtru (12-14-20)
Old 12-14-20, 05:30 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BabyGate
On my setup, I only connected the #7 Blue wire (lock+) to the Green wire, and left #6 unused. This is what they called smart mode. The mirror will fold when the door is locked, but will only unfold when ACC or Engine is on.
I think I forgot to mention this and realised a lot of people who were messaging me preferred the mirrors to unfold when ACC or engine was on. You are correct, simply leaving out the connection for the unlock signal wire on the module will make the relay unfold the mirrors when ACC is turned on. Basically, it looks for a voltage signal on the unlock wire and if that's not received them if ACC gets voltage then it unfolds anyway.
trujtru (12-14-20)
Old 12-14-20, 12:40 PM
trujtru
Driver

Thanks guys. I'm a bit busy at work but I'll take a look into it.
When I push my mirror button it operates, so I'm sure I have the right ACC wire. I did swap the wires for the lock and unlock signal as well and that didn't do anything, but I'll leave #6 wire not hooked up. Prefer the smart mode.

My other Issue is I installed the motors into my mirror from UK mirrors and I have a green and blue wire. I know one is for fold and one is for unfold. Just based on this photo I took and the color wires, looks like it's reversed? I wired it based on how the UK mirrors were set up. When I push the power mirror button down from the up position, into the lock position, that folds the mirror correct? And then push it again, it unfolds.
Old 12-22-20, 05:55 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

I have just updated my blog to reflect on some things i've learnt from just helping someone with a LHD car. If you have a LHD car then please look at the two new diagrams for Connector B and Connector C on my blog. I've attached pics below too just for your reference.

Old 12-24-20, 11:35 AM
trujtru
Driver

Thanks @ahmed24. Appreciate it. I got it working. Switched the wires like @BabyGate said and left the unlock switch unconnected.

I also had a poor connection from the mirror motor to wire harness, probably one of the issue from before.
Old 03-18-21, 10:31 AM
Roccopip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needed for is300h

Hi

Can tell us where you purchase it

Thanks Rocco
Old 03-18-21, 11:48 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Roccopip
Hi

Can tell us where you purchase it

Thanks Rocco
There are many sellers selling these. Just go on ebay and type universal mirror folding and look for the one that looks like the picture I posted. You can also find it on AliExpress.

Quick Reply: DIY Auto-Folding Mirrors for £6.49 (GBP)