IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-19 | 09:09 PM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Default Oil catch can?

Who all has a oil catch can on their 250? What size hose did u use? What kind of o.c.c. did u use? Do u like it? Did it give any different sound to ur car? Where did u mount it?

this is still my current ebay cheepo o.c.c. but not my current line set up. Mounted on driv. Side front of motor with custom bracket. Mounted here to try and keep it cool. Ive had a LOT of different line set ups from 1/4 to 1/2" hose. single in/out duel in/out single in duel out. Just curious what everyone else has done!
Old 11-14-19 | 04:45 PM
Aspect
Racer

I mounted my Mishimoto OCC hanging off the hose on the side of the fuse box. I think I used 1/2" hose? I can't remember. No sound difference to the car, not sure how it would make a sound difference in the first place :P
Old 11-14-19 | 06:03 PM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Do u have a pic of ur can?

The reason i ask about sound differences because after playing with different hose set ups and having 2 hoses go into the intake plenum 1 in front 1 in back(original spot) there will be a wierd clatter sound. Kinda sounds like its in the exhaust but i believe its comming from the intake so i messed with the runner control valve SCREW and i can change the sound slighty on the exhaust By how the intke is sucking. Well thats my Theory anyway because i still havent figured out how to make the sound go away at 2000 to 2500 rpm when moderately stepping o the gas. If i punch it the sound isnt really there.
Old 11-15-19 | 10:51 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS250DIYER
Do u have a pic of ur can?

The reason i ask about sound differences because after playing with different hose set ups and having 2 hoses go into the intake plenum 1 in front 1 in back(original spot) there will be a wierd clatter sound. Kinda sounds like its in the exhaust but i believe its comming from the intake so i messed with the runner control valve SCREW and i can change the sound slighty on the exhaust By how the intke is sucking. Well thats my Theory anyway because i still havent figured out how to make the sound go away at 2000 to 2500 rpm when moderately stepping o the gas. If i punch it the sound isnt really there.
I can't remember if it's you, or not. Someone post about this screw adjustmemt. I think I gave them a measurement of 1.00". The screw is a limiter basically nothing more. It just prevents the gear to be fully open. Probably due to no over engage, and get something binded up. The whole system is a linkage system.

The system should be closed at low loads, and opens up at anything above 2500 rpms.

I think the noise you are hearing is from the way your catch can is routed. See link below. Ultra4 said he got some weird sounds from his catch can. My suggestion is remove the CC hoses, and route the OEM way back in. See if your noise goes away. I don't think it's the lower manifold if the readings are out of whack it would throw a check engine light.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10659345

Another thing is check if your heat shield on the cat converter is not loose.
The following users liked this post:
IS250DIYER (11-15-19)
Old 11-15-19 | 11:10 AM
Ultra4
Intermediate

The sound I had was created by mating both cylinder head vents into the same catch can, and then having the catch can connected to the vacuum signal from the intake. It wasn't consistent because I believe the noise was only present while the purge solenoid was open, and after a while, the noise would stay on until the computers were reset. Regardless of what the result was, I know the cause was my catch can.

I'm not going to bother posting any pics of my setups until I find something that actually removes all of the perceptible oil from the air going into the cylinders. It's been a long road. For the driver's head, I have an anti-siphon setup going to the can, and I'll soon be putting some cheapo clear inline fuel filters on both sides to try to get the last little bit of oil out. Passenger side seems to be able to get away with the ol' jar full of steel wool idea.
The following users liked this post:
IS250DIYER (11-15-19)