IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Heater Core Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-19, 08:01 PM
tbear
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS250 Heater Core Replacement

Looking at an 07 IS 250 awd as a winter car. The one I found has a heater could leak and needs re replacement. Any idea how much $$$$ or degree of difficulty to do?
Old 11-14-19, 09:11 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

No clue what it would cost but figure 8+ hours.
There are videos and DIY threads. Not for the faint of heart!
If you're willing to pull an engine or trans, the seats and dash are doable!
Old 11-15-19, 05:23 AM
tbear
Rookie

Yes, I've done suspension, exhaust, timing belt, etc. on my Miata's and even did some of that on my old IS300. However, never wanted to try taking the dash apart.

The car is supposed to need the passenger airbag recall so was wondering if some of that would help with the cost (since they would be already somewhat in the dash. However, that would be dealer pricing so not sure of the advantage.
Old 11-15-19, 10:01 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Well, what is the price on that beater and mileage? For the get-go, it might not be worth it.

Is the current owner 100% sure about it being a core leak and not a hose? Has coolant actually leaked into the cabin floorboards like what happened to me once in my very first car...1982 Datsun 200sx?
Old 11-15-19, 12:19 PM
tbear
Rookie

Asking is $5k (140k) but sounds negotiable. Was trying to figure out a cost to figure out what it's worth. He told me verbally that it's leaking (and his ad says "easy fix" - haha) but I don't think he's mechanically inclined. Doesn't sound like he even did a bypass. Going to try and go see it this weekend, will try to stick my head under the dash and see if I can tell. Body and interior are in good shape from the pictures.
Old 11-18-19, 10:48 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Yeah, time to visually inspect it yourself to see if it is worth it or not. Find the source of the leak and negotiate from there.

By the way, after reviewing pictures of the Lexus 2IS heater cores online, I see they're completely aluminum. No plastic portions anywhere to break/crack. Might just be a hose in the engine bay.
Old 11-18-19, 11:56 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,513 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Yeah, time to visually inspect it yourself to see if it is worth it or not. Find the source of the leak and negotiate from there.

By the way, after reviewing pictures of the Lexus 2IS heater cores online, I see they're completely aluminum. No plastic portions anywhere to break/crack. Might just be a hose in the engine bay.

If neglected it could have failed for years of pressure cycling while acids ate away at the core.
Old 11-18-19, 05:39 PM
tbear
Rookie

We shall see. Couldn't find a time last weekend. I'm hoping I can see the hoses just by looking up from the glovebox side.
Old 11-18-19, 11:12 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 289 Likes on 250 Posts

If the heater core is leaking and he hasn't done a bypass, the carpet is going to be soaked. That or the engine is low on coolant so it won't leak.
Old 11-19-19, 06:04 AM
tbear
Rookie

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If the heater core is leaking and he hasn't done a bypass, the carpet is going to be soaked. That or the engine is low on coolant so it won't leak.
That's what makes no sense. Either he isn't driving it, it isn't leaking much or there isn't any coolant in it. If the coolant is low I'm going to walk away, not risking an engine that might have been overheated.
Old 11-19-19, 09:11 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Here are some more random thoughts that popped into my head. If the carpet is wet, it could also be from the a/c evaporator condensation drain being plugged up. If you smell the carpet/liquid, condensation is odorless. Antifreeze is kind of sweet smelling. When you check the radiator level, check if there is antifreeze in there or if it is plain water.
Old 11-19-19, 03:01 PM
tbear
Rookie

Not up on Lexus but my last Toyota had the red/orange coolant. Would it be the same?
Old 11-19-19, 03:27 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by tbear
Not up on Lexus but my last Toyota had the red/orange coolant. Would it be the same?
Pink Coolant

Toyota Super Long Life
The following users liked this post:
tbear (11-19-19)
Old 11-19-19, 04:52 PM
tbear
Rookie

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-19-19, 06:14 PM
DennisMik
Racer

While the color may be pink (I can't recall without looking), don't get hung up on the color too much. Keep in mind that while most antifreeze makers go by the same color code, not all of them do. It is more of a gentlemen's agreement than any set standard. Also keep in mind that the previous owner may have been adding antifreeze without knowing/caring what type was the correct one.

Toyota describes their antifreeze this way:
TOYOTA vehicles are filled with TOYOTA SLLC at the factory. In order to avoid damage to the engine cooling system and other technical problems, only use TOYOTA SLLC or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology (coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology consists of a combination of low phosphates and organic acids).

NOTE: SSLC stands for Super Long Life Coolant

Antifreeze has different chemical compositions depending on the type of antifreeze used. Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) antifreeze can be either ethylene glycol (EG) or propylene glycol (PG) based. Organic Acid Technology (OAT) antifreeze is primarily ethylene glycol (EG) based. Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) antifreeze is a combination of Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) and Organic Acid Technology (OAT).

Antifreeze colors include red, orange, yellow, pink, blue and green. Different colored antifreeze is used to identify the type of antifreeze being used.

Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) antifreezes are green in color.

Organic Acid Technology (OAT) antifreezes are orange, red, green, pink or blue.

Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) antifreezes are orange or yellow in color.

Quick Reply: IS250 Heater Core Replacement