IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MPX Override for Fog lights when running lights are on? Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-19, 10:54 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 406 Posts

I reread the original post and realized he just wants to have the fogs on all the time when the DRL's are on, and then off when the headlights are on. My previous posts were written under the assumption he wanted full control of the fogs when the headlights were off, that's my bad.

If you just want the fogs on when the car is on and then to go back to factory control when the headlights are on, that's definitely possible from the engine bay as you show. I actually think you could do it a bit simpler than you've shown by using a one SPST and one DPDT relay. Possibly only one DPDT relay.

I'd probably still go for full control if it was me though, since I prefer a nice factory-type setup.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 12-03-19 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 11:55 PM
BabyGate
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The FR FOG relay might be located under the Front Controller. Not sure, will need to pull out the controller and check when I have time. If that relay is not inside the Front Controller, then it will be a lot simpler. He could wire a toggle switch with ground to #10 should be able to turn on the fog light when ever he wants. That will require running a wire into the cabin though, but that will be the cleanest setup without the need to crack the MPX. Or use relays controlled by the low beam fuse to feed ground signal to the FR FOG relay.

Last edited by BabyGate; 12-04-19 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-04-19, 06:10 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,278 Posts

I see how that can be interpreted. Wanted, like OEM but with more control. Specifically:

No separate cabin switch. Uses current stalk switch.
With key off, turns off when door is opened like running lights/headlights do now. I programmed mine for instant off.
Can be on with Running lights or headlights.
Do not come on alone. i.e. must at least have running lights on.
Bonus if on with High beams / flash to pass. Although this may not be legal????

FWIW my DRLs are on all the time as are tail lights - aka running lights. One more chance to be seen regardless of ambient lightning.
So, the question is; where did they hide the logic that only allows them on with the headlights? Is there an active signal in the engine bay reflective of the fog light stalk switch?
Old 12-04-19, 10:16 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

The raw active signal is fed to the front controller on the MPX data line.

The fog relay is internal to the front controller housing/PCB.

It’s definitely possible to do what you want without touching the interior of the car, but not in an easy, that looks completely factory way. It could all be hidden away for sure.

The way I would do it is a fuse tap on the fog light fuse with a relay controlled by whatever light you want the fogs on with what supplies power to the fog light wiring through the NC circuit on a relay controlled by the headlight low beams. When the headlights are on it energizes the second relay to restore the original fog light circuit, giving full factory control.

Adding high beam functionality with the interior fog light switch lands you back at the original question of how to access the raw active signal, unless you wanted them to always be on with the high beams, which could be added to the original modification relatively easily.

Still, I think the best bet is to swap out the front controller for the 53020, see where you’re at, then make a list/flowchart of exactly how you want the fog lights to operate, and it would be easy enough to come up with a circuit that can do that, within the confines of what the electronics give you for fog light raw data.

For example:

Car on, all switches off: No fogs
Car on, running lights on, headlights off: Fogs on
Car on, low beams on: Fogs selectable with interior switch
Car on, high beams on: Fogs on (or off, depending on what you want)

Last thought/update to last post: A DPDT relay isn’t required; the fog circuit is less than 15A, so SPDT will be enough.

Jeff
Old 12-04-19, 01:11 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The raw active signal is fed to the front controller on the MPX data line.

The fog relay is internal to the front controller housing/PCB.

It’s definitely possible to do what you want without touching the interior of the car, but not in an easy, that looks completely factory way. It could all be hidden away for sure.

Jeff
^^ My concern is that the MPX data to that controller has a logic function upstream whereby it wants an** AND headlights on ** before the FOG relay MPX signal is addressed/sent a signal to turn on the relay.

That said, if the weekend allows, I'll open it up and look. Perhaps order the other part too!

Thanks guys! More ideas to play with. The whole idea behind this thread.
Old 12-04-19, 04:04 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

The raw data exists at the front controller. The logic that the front controller uses for that data is the question.

The data goes to both the front controller and the body ECU. The front controller, while it does get the data, may not actually use it for its logic. It may wait for a different signal from the body ECU (though I suspect it does use the data directly from the fog switch). It definitely waits for the go ahead from the body ECU or by waiting for headlights on before triggering the FOG relay.

Jeff
Old 12-04-19, 10:09 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

The raw data exists at the front controller. The logic that the front controller uses for that data is the question.

The data goes to both the front controller and the body ECU. The front controller, while it does get the data, may not actually use it for its logic. It may wait for a different signal from the body ECU (though I suspect it does use the data directly from the fog switch). It definitely waits for the go ahead from the body ECU or by waiting for headlights on before triggering the FOG relay.

Jeff

FWIW: Bits are shipping from across the great pond. Looks to be couple weeks out, I'll see what I can unearth without blowing stuff up between now and then! =)
PS - I did design and build an LED switchback circuit for my street bike.
Video - >

Just an example if we need to make things small and somewhat rugged. Can do... Mini PCBA build up. One of two needed. They are potted and h2o proof.

Be nice about the solder joints, this is proof of concept fitting components within the space provided and leaving room for connectors. Wire leads and final solder came later.
Old 12-14-19, 03:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I've opened the front controller before and the PCB and components are fully potted in. It would be very difficult to make changes. :\

As far as swapping the part, there isn't much chance that you'd actually damage anything, I just don't know if you'd actually get the functionality you're looking for, so it may be a waste of money, haha.

Jeff

You weren't kidding about the potting situation. It pretty much sealed it together until the end of time.

I'll probe about and look at options. Silly fleabay seller even kept the fuses. Lol false advertising I'd say! Ha!
Old 12-15-19, 03:31 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE:
No love from the little MPX box from across the pond. Not only does it not help our cause, it does not support DRL. I was thinking long shot, maybe DRL goes through here even though the schematics don't show it but looking in Techstream; it said they are on, but they are not. That tells me the DRL data (logic on, logic off) does not go through that module as I used the software to toggle it on and off and there we no errors. But a leg of the wiring does. In addition, the box as it is, does not help our cause enabling the Fogs differently than they are now. Module ID: MPX. BODY FR TOYOTA, 89211-53020 MADE IN JAPAN, 12V 6728.

Notice here the data knows the switch is in the on position (2nd line down). The values here do not change with either module installed. This is just data showing switch positions. Also

Back to the drawing board. Perhaps more testing when its warmer outside.