IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

High Mileage Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 10:57 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I am curious where you get the filter, all I see are strainers. The only place I have seen filters are from eBay, and I trust eBay for auto pars as far as I can throw an elephant. There are so many fake Chinese parts on eBay, someone I know even got a fake set of NGK spark plugs on eBay. He found out when it blew one of his Cylinders
^^ That is a product of naming convention. That is the right part and it is a filter and it is the one you want. I'm Not trusting ebay and the likes to save a penny if the cost could total the car. lol I bought mine through luxuspartsnow, but mylparts is good too as are countless others. The Arizona lexus is commonly mentioned for good savings too.

PM me if you have an interest, as I have sure fire way to do all of the fluid at once. All 9 quarts done in one pass at home.

The following 3 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
AMIRZA786 (12-20-19), Beamish (12-22-19), User 122922 (07-12-21)
Old 12-20-19, 11:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,718 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
^^ That is a product of naming convention. That is the right part and it is a filter and it is the one you want. I'm Not trusting ebay and the likes to save a penny if the cost could total the car. lol I bought mine through luxuspartsnow, but mylparts is good too as are countless others. The Arizona lexus is commonly mentioned for good savings too.

PM me if you have an interest, as I have sure fire way to do all of the fluid at once. All 9 quarts done in one pass at home.

Ha ha, eBay is a dumping ground for Chinese made ****. I've been to China, and I have seen my share of fake iPhones, electronics, watches etc. Last year I needed to change my bumper cover for my Civic Si, saw this bumper cover for cheap that looked really good on eBay, the guy guaranteed it would fit like the OEM. I took it to my friend who owns a body shop, and he did a test fit before painting it. He called me and sent pics showing me gaps so big you could stick your fingers thru. He told me the only way to fit it was to modify it, but said he could not guarantee the work if he did it. I contacted the eBay seller and he was like "any decent body shop can modify it". Anyway I had to go thru eBay support to get my money back.

Anyway thanks for the info. When it's time I will have my mechanic do the fluid change, he has already done three of my Toyota's with sealed transmissions and knows how to do it
Old 12-20-19, 11:20 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LlamaLexus
AMSOIL is no better than any other synthetic fluid for that purpose, and there's not a single study that has shown it to be superior. It's a good product, but it's not a superior product.
Plus, it's hilariously overpriced to maintain their pyramid scheme. Yes, AMSOIL is a MLM, and you can verify that online. You have to pay to be a dealer, which then you copy and paste the lines they give you to try to feed to people so that their oil sounds like the Jesus of oils.

Also, please explain to me how you think that your tiny-engine, low-power car was so stressed with OEM fluid that somehow just the process of changing oil somehow magically improved the shifting? What aspect of AMSOIL magically fixed that? If anything, it just sounds like your fluid levels were incorrect and you filled it to the correct level that allowed for proper lubrication of the syncros.
You sound like you literally read the AMSOIL ads and are repeating them almost verbatim. "They gave me smoother shifts, just like they said they would!"
Wow, I don't know how I missed the extremely snarky last paragraph. Nah, I don't think I need to respond. Have a great day

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-20-19 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-20-19, 11:29 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

AMSOIL is no better than any other synthetic fluid for that purpose, and there's not a single study that has shown it to be superior. It's a good product, but it's not a superior product.
Plus, it's hilariously overpriced to maintain their pyramid scheme. Yes, AMSOIL is a MLM, and you can verify that online. You have to pay to be a dealer, which then you copy and paste the lines they give you to try to feed to people so that their oil sounds like the Jesus of oils.

Also, please explain to me how you think that your tiny-engine, low-power car was so stressed with OEM fluid that somehow just the process of changing oil somehow magically improved the shifting? What aspect of AMSOIL magically fixed that? If anything, it just sounds like your fluid levels were incorrect and you filled it to the correct level that allowed for proper lubrication of the syncros.
You sound like you literally read the AMSOIL ads and are repeating them almost verbatim. "They gave me smoother shifts, just like they said they would!"
On the other side of the pyramid is Redline and Royal Purple to name a few. The prices are competitive. Or is it because Amsoil drove the market share up? Frankly it's all a tier. We buy name brand products from those who sell it the cheapest and more often than not, the prices are near the same no matter the flavor we have chosen. Now if only I could get premium service from the premium price I pay for my cable and internet service. lol
Old 12-20-19, 11:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

On the other side of the pyramid is Redline and Royal Purple to name a few. The prices are competitive. Or is it because Amsoil drove the market share up? Frankly it's all a tier. We buy name brand products from those who sell it the cheapest and more often than not, the prices are near the same no matter the flavor we have chosen. Now if only I could get premium service from the premium price I pay for my cable and internet service. lol
Dude, I dumped cable back in 2011 and never looked back. Here is what you need:

Nvidia Shield ($179 on Amazon)
Kodi (Free)
A Real Debrid Account (real-debrid.com) $30 a year

PM me sometime, we can talk about it
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 11:54 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is an interesting newsletter from Blackstone Labs on "What is the Best Oil"

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-c.../Aug-17-AC.pdf

I don't use Amsoil anymore but I feel like it is a quality product that is more then likely at the higher end of the rankings even though it has no certifications, but is it worth 3 times the price? I can get Mobil One for $25/6 Quarts and change my oil 3 times for the price of what 1 Amsoil change costs. After reading Blackstones newsletter it was enough to change my mind.

Costco Kirkland Brand Full Synthetic is $25 for 12 quarts. Warren Distribution is filling it for them. I am going to get a Blackstone test done with the Mobile 1 and then try Kirkland Brand and have it tested. May take a while but will post the results when it complete.
Old 12-20-19, 11:54 AM
primavera
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 265 Posts

Ok, that’s enough internet for today.. 🧐
2013FSport (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 12:05 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

2013FSport (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 12:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure how I missed that completely arrogant condescending last paragraph. Have a great rest of your day
Old 12-20-19, 12:22 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Alright people let's keep it civilized. That being said I want this forum to always be cooler than this dude. The way I see we are all here to learn from one another. Whether we are experts, or rookies

AMIRZA786 (12-20-19)
Old 12-20-19, 12:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Here is an interesting newsletter from Blackstone Labs on "What is the Best Oil"

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-c.../Aug-17-AC.pdf

Reference is the pdf above. I'm glad that guy at the bottom of the article is not my mechanic. A flat six with plane engine with low to zero compression in one hole must have shook like a mad. With it not burning the fuel it also made the EGT read low for all cylinders so the pilot(s) would be making them all run lean while one cylinder is being washed from the fuel not actually combusting (<< is that a word?) and dumping out literally unburned. And how did they not notice that after 50 hours the oil was black from all that blowby when it should have still been clean. I mean they derate plane engines spinning them at a fraction of the RPM they are capable of so they can bank on some form of reliability as failure has huge consequences. Anywho - interesting article but cars get completely abuse to compared to a plan engine started, ran to temp for the duration, and turned off.
Old 01-04-20, 07:43 AM
galaxy7
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a way, or how are you guys getting all the old fluid out when you do a tranny fluid change? Total system capacity is pretty much stuck in the torque converter, right? You're not going to get all that out with a pan drain or dropping the pan only.
Old 01-04-20, 09:19 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by galaxy7
Is there a way, or how are you guys getting all the old fluid out when you do a tranny fluid change? Total system capacity is pretty much stuck in the torque converter, right? You're not going to get all that out with a pan drain or dropping the pan only.
After you drain it, ideally with the pan off, start it for 5 to 7 seconds.
primavera (01-04-20)
Old 01-22-20, 10:46 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW: We didn't see what engine the GS had but they also used the the A760 trans which has a fill plug on the case under a plastic cover on the left side. Remove the cover, remove the bolt, fill the pan.... The guys comments crack me up. He's likely just another sales guy as he doesn't appear to know jack about transmissions at a technical level. Change the filter to remove carbon from your transmission. lol

I'm writing to SAY DO NOT DO WHAT THEY DID AND RANDOMLY DRAIN AND FILL YOUR TRANSMISSION!!!! The overflow tube is meant to be done at a specified oil temperature WHICH THEY DID NOT BOTHER TO CHECK and/or show us they checked it!!! Point: worst case is you do this at home and IF the transmission is too hot and it overflows; IT WILL BE LOW ON FLUID when driving if it was over temperature when it overflowed. It only takes about 15 minutes of engine run time for the fluid to exceed the 100F check point.

I'm just saying; do your research before doing this or you could ruin your transmission. If you intend to skip the temperature check, your best bet is to have the car in the air overnight, drain it, fill it when cold, and check within the first 10min of starting it as it will soon be at 100F.

Adding to this; If you want more fluid out of the trans during your dump and fill; start the engine for 5 seconds after you drain the pan. More fluid will be pumped from the torque converter into the pan.
Ok, how much trans fluid comes out if I just drop the pan, replace the filter and filler up. I have 4 qts here now but dont want to be running back to the dealership for another quart if I dont have to.
Old 01-22-20, 12:53 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
Ok, how much trans fluid comes out if I just drop the pan, replace the filter and filler up. I have 4 qts here now but dont want to be running back to the dealership for another quart if I dont have to.
You should be fine. However, if I were going to the trouble, I would grab 2 more and do as I suggested above and start it with the pan off for 5 seconds and then drop the filter. You'll likely get 1.5 more out which is getting much closer to 1/2 the total volume.

^^ Taking that a step further is 5 more quarts and repeat after 10 minutes of going through the gears on the stands. Then you should be near a full flush vs running it 20 miles and everything mixing. You only want to run it long enough to dump the contents of the TC and drain it.

Make sense?

Quick Reply: High Mileage Transmission Fluid Change