IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Considering a High Mileage 2006 IS 350 RWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 11:01 AM
HarrisGC29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a High Mileage 2006 IS 350 RWD

I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 IS 350 with 140k miles for $7,500. Searching around the forum I found some good information and took the advice of signing up for the Lexus Owner's account to check the specific VIN. I'm pretty confident in the reliability but wanted to get some second opinions before moving forward. I attached a PDF of the service history from Lexus. It seems pretty complete to me but does anyone see any red flags? Only open recall appears to be for the fuel delivery pipe (NHTSA Recall ID: 18V432).

It also looks like the previous owner had some issues with the parking sensors that was diagnosed but never actually fixed. One of the listing pictures of the instrument panel shows the sensors are turned off, so I'm assuming the issue is still there.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the listing, but if that's allowed, I could share that as well.

Any opinions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 12-26-19, 03:09 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Price seems high to me. But with that being said , these cars are rock solid. May not do so hot in the snowy conditions in Illinois.
Old 12-26-19, 06:15 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Service history looks pretty good. Looks like the cam gear recall was done which is a win. Just be sure the door / dash panels have been replaced because the recall ran out on the early model IS250/350 in 2017.

We purchased an '08 IS250 for our college student last year with 152k last year and she has 170k on it now (we didn't want her to have a 350 because she already is a fast driver). As mentioned these cars are rock solid. We knew about the carbon buildup on the IS250 but haven't had an issue. I did review the service history and the dash and door panels were replaced by the previous owner.

Other than that there is not much to worry about with these cars. Buy it!
Old 12-27-19, 08:12 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Looks like in Jun 2010 it was in a small accident : "REAR OTR PARKING SENSOR UNIT. REPAIR LT QTR PANEL, REAR BUMPER." Besides looking that over that repair for good workmanship, it looks like pretty normal service and recall history, minus the alignment issues and the parking sensors. There might also still be a bent wheel on the car, according to them.

But honestly, my '06 IS350 with 141k miles, I'd pay $7500 for...as long as the dash and door panels are good OR can be exchanged by Lexus for new still.
Old 12-27-19, 10:46 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I purchased mine with high miles and I do a lot of driving. Purchased 3/18 with 126k. Now at 170k
Its a car, things wear and brake like any other car. But what I can say it will age gracefully. Interior shows slight signs of wear ( besides the cracks in the dash) very minimal rattles or interior noises. If you keep up on repairs it won’t turn in to a ***** box. I just did paintless dent removal to get out all my dings. I am 1 of the unlucky ones that had engine issues, had to replace it at about 133k. I would still say it’s a reliable car.
Old 12-28-19, 10:42 AM
HarrisGC29
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I was about to schedule a test drive but figured I should make sure these work well with rear facing infant seats.... Looks like that would be a tight or impossible fit in the center position. And we have the UPPAbaby Mesa which is one of the largest rear facing seats. So unfortunately I don't think an IS is going to work out which sucks. I'm going to look into the larger GS which I think should fit the seat without issues.

Last edited by HarrisGC29; 12-31-19 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-19, 08:58 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrisGC29
I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 IS 350 with 140k miles for $7,500. Searching around the forum I found some good information and took the advice of signing up for the Lexus Owner's account to check the specific VIN. I'm pretty confident in the reliability but wanted to get some second opinions before moving forward. I attached a PDF of the service history from Lexus. It seems pretty complete to me but does anyone see any red flags? Only open recall appears to be for the fuel delivery pipe (NHTSA Recall ID: 18V432).

It also looks like the previous owner had some issues with the parking sensors that was diagnosed but never actually fixed. One of the listing pictures of the instrument panel shows the sensors are turned off, so I'm assuming the issue is still there.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the listing, but if that's allowed, I could share that as well.

Any opinions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Hello HarrisGC29, wanted to say thank you for including example of Lexus Service History report obtained. I'm considering purchasing used IS 350 as well, and believe this will prove helpful.

Last edited by ELexis; 12-29-19 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-01-20, 09:48 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Happy 2020!
Follow up regarding possible purchase of IS 350. After scheduled viewing of vehicle, vehicle did not start as though battery was drained. Dealer had to jump start battery in order to test drive. My research shows that damage was reported to Front of vehicle on 10/12/2016. On 11/16/2016, body electrical system was checked and battery replaced, then battery was replaced again on 12/20/2016.
Dealer has said vehicle wasn't started for a few days however, believe there my be connection to battery being replace several times after reported damage as per CarFax. Vehicle is nine years old.
Dealer is in process of bringing vehicle to Lexus to have vehicle serviced for recall issued 6/26/18, that was not performed. I asked dealer to have Lexus confirm the following as well before committing to purchase;
- Have Lexus amount of wireless transmitters / keys currently programmed to vehicle and re-program for two if needed
- have diagnostic performed for possible issue causing battery to becomes drained due to possible damage reported on 10/12/2016.
I assume Lexus will provide hard copy to dealer of work performed afterwards.
Old 01-01-20, 12:44 PM
markjustus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These cars are solid bro, I've had my 06 since 2011. Bought with 130k and now has 250k. Once I bought it I changed water pump and thermostat (preventative) and an alternator (failed). Solid for the past 6 years. And only now running into emission related issues. Nothing to jeopardize the reliability of the car, but damn CA smog laws. So far I've changed charcoal canister, pcv and a gas cap. (All in this past week) hopefully will pass smog by end of the week.

I'm ranting but honestly what other car can give you 300hp, rwd not overly complicated computers/sensors and be reliable? Just still wish it came I 6 SPD manual
Old 01-01-20, 01:41 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Thanks for the follow up and sharing your experience, very much appreciated!
Perhaps vehicle may be experiencing an issue with alternator as well. Awaiting follow up from dealer once service has been completed by Lexus. I'm similar with preventive maintenance and completely understand. Once I've purchased a used vehicle, I immediately change oil, oil filter, spark plugs (air filter and transmission fluid if needed).
When test driving the vehicle, it was comfortable enough and felt solid as you stated however, felt overwhelmed with all the technology!
While in motion, I heard loud winning from vehicle and thought perhaps transmission might have an issue. I realized soon that I had overlooked that the automatic shift lever was all the way in the left position (-S / +S), which I believe requires driver to use the steering wheel mounted shift paddles change gears. Upon realizing this, I moved shift lever to the right and engage normal D driving mode. The whining sound. was no more afterwards. Upon completion of drive, I checked oil however, overlooked checking trans fluid but didn't readily see one. Perhaps it's located under either left or right side engine compartment covers (requires removing push clips).
Is replacing water pump and thermostat due to common issue vehicle is plagued by or just you being proactive with preventive maintenance due to mileage on vehicle?
Old 01-01-20, 07:02 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Transmission does not have a dip stick. According to Lexus it’s lifetime fluid (100k miles )
do some searches on the forum, fluid and filter needs to be changed.
I wouldn’t worry to much about the dead battery. A lot of used dealers will start the car before you get there. At least you know the truth about the weak battery or drain in the electrical system.
I have always been a truck guy, this is the first car I’ve owned that I enjoy driving.
Old 01-01-20, 08:09 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Thanks for making me aware about transmission!