IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2IS Help Me Decipher Whats Happening With My Engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-20, 11:48 AM
rbipu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
Some fuel system cleaner - a strong concentration of it will also help.

I was doing some research. It says your fuel pressure is 8050 kPag, or roughly 1150PSI which is insanely high. That must be a mistake or something, I do not see how such a high pressure is even possible. I think your fuel pump is the culprit.
Oh wow.. I have the IS250 service manual. Let me see what it has to say and revert.
Old 01-08-20, 11:57 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rbipu
Oh wow.. I have the IS250 service manual. Let me see what it has to say and revert.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are using now. Anywhere from 5w30 to 20w50 is within recommended specification.
Old 01-08-20, 12:05 PM
rbipu
Driver School Candidate

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you are using now. Anywhere from 5w30 to 20w50 is within recommended specification.
Sorry, was referring to the fuel pressure readings. I had compiled some data on the same. Pls see file attached. I've highlighted some key values.

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
Data List.xlsx (26.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-08-20, 12:19 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Very much appreciate the input guys. I'll try give the car a work out more often and I'll definitely give the products recommended a shot.

Unfortunately where I live, garages that could properly troubleshoot the injectors are non existent. No equipment or the skills required to do so. Only option would be to replace and hope for the best.

Do you think changing the MAF would help? With a brand new one this time.
No according to your data list it's within specs. Get some driving data. I'm curious if the trims get better.
Old 01-08-20, 12:33 PM
rbipu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
No according to your data list it's within specs. Get some driving data. I'm curious if the trims get better.
Ok.. Will definitely do that tomorrow and revert.
Old 01-08-20, 12:43 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Ok.. Will definitely do that tomorrow and revert.

So what did your fuel trims look like after an ECU reset.
FYI the ECU only needs anything over 15mins to reset. Whether it's fuse or battery method.

The one minute thing is just to reset a check engine light. If your car doesn't stall once after ecu is reset it's not a full reset.

Also are you getting any rough idle?

Old 01-08-20, 01:32 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I was doing some research. It says your fuel pressure is 8050 kPag, or roughly 1150PSI which is insanely high. That must be a mistake or something, I do not see how such a high pressure is even possible. I think your fuel pump is the culprit.
This is actually a normal fuel pressure for direct injection engines, some are even up to 3000psi, so the fuel pump is probably working correctly.
Old 01-08-20, 01:36 PM
rbipu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
So what did your fuel trims look like after an ECU reset.
FYI the ECU only needs anything over 15mins to reset. Whether it's fuse or battery method.

The one minute thing is just to reset a check engine light. If your car doesn't stall once after ecu is reset it's not a full reset.

Also are you getting any rough idle?
They went right back to where they were at -30 at both banks.

To perform the reset, I unplugged the negative battery terminal for close to an hour. After the reset, the car came close but didn't stall. Revs dropped to slightly below 500rpm. After a 20min drive, revs were back to 700.

No rough idle and no engine CEL's when operating normally. I forgot to check if any CEL's registered after the reset.
Old 01-08-20, 01:42 PM
rbipu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mike33
This is actually a normal fuel pressure for direct injection engines, some are even up to 3000psi, so the fuel pump is probably working correctly.
Correct, I've confirmed this with the service manual. 7 to 9 MPa at 2,000 rpm.

9 MPa is 1305.34 psi.
Old 01-08-20, 02:27 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

So do you guys think we can simply chalk it up to poor fuel quality and bad driving habits? (Short distance.)

Also, for the low idle, could need a throttle body and idle air control valve clean.

What is the check engine light for?
Old 01-08-20, 02:30 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

So do you guys think we can simply chalk it up to poor fuel quality and bad driving habits? (Short distance.)

Also, for the low idle, could need a throttle body and idle air control valve clean.

Well nope it has a cell for a reason. OP has a good scan tool. So I would say chalk up the Freeze Frame DTC once it pops back up.
Old 01-08-20, 03:09 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts
Exclamation

These are DI engines. Normal is based on demand which can be as low as 1650 PSI or up to 2500 PSI. Maybe higher.

Also, for the low idle, could need a throttle body and Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) clean.

There is no IACV as this is Throttle By Wire (TBW) which omits this hardware in this case.

Please be careful as to what you post as it can really lead people astray when the content is completely wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Moisture (01-08-20)
Old 01-08-20, 04:17 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
These are DI engines. Normal is based on demand which can be as low as 1650 PSI or up to 2500 PSI. Maybe higher.

There is no IACV as this is Throttle By Wire (TBW) which omits this hardware in this case.

Please be careful as to what you post as it can really lead people astray when the content is completely wrong.

Thank you.

Could you please explain more about A/F values and what numbers are acceptable during different scenarios? Etc. idle, full throttle, steady cruise, etc.
Old 01-09-20, 12:13 AM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IT IS UR OIL CATCH CAN! i just went through this dilemma for months trying many different MAF sensors, o2 sensors, air intake set ups, changed spark plugs, and tried different size hoses going to my oil catch can. Finally i said screw it and pluged in the vacuum hoses the way they came from factory. Boom all good. It stressed me out for months. Since the car seem to drive fine i didnt even think twice that it would be the oil catch can. I have been driving w/o the catch can untill i find one that wont screw with the fuel trims. Your fuel pressure is fine. As matter of fact most of ur data seems good and the fuel trims will or should go back to normal after u take the occ out. Let us all know if u end up trying this.
Aathon H.
Old 01-09-20, 07:20 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

How does a catch can have anything to do with it?

Quick Reply: 2IS Help Me Decipher Whats Happening With My Engine!!