IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS350 won’t start, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 05:22 PM
shelby7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS350 won’t start, HELP

I am having problems with my is350, I parked it overnight and the next morning it would not start. It barely tried to crank and then said “check vsc”

anyways thanks to Zmon I was turned into a possible FPS issue so I took off the intake to get to the sensor and unplugged it. I was told if it was a FPS issue that it would go ahead and start once unplugged and be in limp mode.

i unplugged it today and tried starting the car, it now cranks but will not fire does anyone have any theories on this?

*maybe this will help:

the past month I’ve been smelling raw fuel ONLY when the heater is on. It would make me have to roll windows down at stop signs or slow traffic, i was trying to research what was causing this and before I found out what it was i ran into this other issue above

I tried cranking it over 6-7 times and never would really act like it wanted to fire, I feel like I could just faintly smell some raw fuel vapors when I got out of car and looked under the hood.

does anyone have any idea of what I should try next?

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 02-03-20, 06:33 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

How many miles? Have you had the FPS recall done?
Old 02-04-20, 10:00 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

I would say try to locate the source of the leak at night using a lighter, but that would be rude. LOL!

Obviously you have a leak condition that is not safe. You need to find the source of that leak ASAP before you end up on the news!
Old 02-04-20, 10:25 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Check the fuel lines that are coming from the gas tank. They're hard lines up the body under the intake pipe. Then they split up to rubber lines to the high pressure fuel pump.

You can easily see the lines around the HP fuel pump. See if you see anything leaking.

Reference pics.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...leak-help.html

Old 02-04-20, 09:38 PM
shelby7
Driver School Candidate

yes it’s had this done, I’m at 289k

Originally Posted by kevin3344
How many miles? Have you had the FPS recall done?
Old 02-04-20, 09:39 PM
shelby7
Driver School Candidate

thank you, I’ll check this out

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Check the fuel lines that are coming from the gas tank. They're hard lines up the body under the intake pipe. Then they split up to rubber lines to the high pressure fuel pump.

You can easily see the lines around the HP fuel pump. See if you see anything leaking.

Reference pics.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...leak-help.html
Old 02-27-20, 12:54 PM
shelby7
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have any idea of what I should check now?

ive unplugged the FPS and it now cranks over but will not start?

when I turn ignition on, I hear the pump prime (maybe 1sec. Is that normal?)

it’s cranking like a SOB but just not firing off, really stuck on what to do, we have had cold weather here and I’ve been waiting for warm weather before I continued as the plastic connectors are easily broken when cold

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-02-20, 09:15 AM
shelby7
Driver School Candidate

Bump, still not sure what’s going on
Old 03-02-20, 09:27 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by shelby7
Bump, still not sure what’s going on
Does the FPS harness look like it's in tact. No breaks in the wiring? Its been know to get damaged by the dealership.

Do you have any codes present?
Old 03-02-20, 09:27 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

I would take it somewhere that could identify why the source of the fuel vapors. They might also be able to provide a fuel pressure test to confirm your fuel pump is functioning properly. Do you know if (when) the fuel pump was last replaced?
Old 03-02-20, 10:10 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Does the FPS harness look like it's in tact. No breaks in the wiring? Its been know to get damaged by the dealership.

Do you have any codes present?
It should still crank and startup with the FPS unplugged, that was my experience anyways when I had the FPS issue years ago. If OP just wants to throw a part at it, they're like $30 on eBay just to rule it out. Unscrew the old one, screw in the new one. Make sure you're spinning the wires with the sensor itself or you'll damage them.

The raw fuel smell is probably just from him attempting to crank it and flooding the engine.

IIRC, he PM'd me about this a month ago and wasn't able to get anywhere with it.
The following users liked this post:
MikeFig82 (03-02-20)
Old 03-02-20, 12:12 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

You make a good point, the car should still run with the FPS unplugged. But he mentioned he would have to roll the windows down at stop signs or slow traffic due to the fuel smell. Makes me think something else is going on. OP can you have the car towed to the dealer for inspection? I made the mistake of replacing the FPS when it was in fact my fuel pump.
The following users liked this post:
shelby7 (03-02-20)
Old 03-02-20, 05:18 PM
shelby7
Driver School Candidate

I can have it towed I guess but just really wanted to prevent a large bill.

i was hoping it was the FPS but since it now cranks and doesn’t start, that doesn’t seem to be the problem

I was seeing if anyone had another idea of what it could be and I could try solving it myself

Is there a way to diagnose myself if it’s the fuel pump?

would a bad fuel pump cause the issues I have?
Old 03-02-20, 05:21 PM
shelby7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zmon
It should still crank and startup with the FPS unplugged, that was my experience anyways when I had the FPS issue years ago. If OP just wants to throw a part at it, they're like $30 on eBay just to rule it out. Unscrew the old one, screw in the new one. Make sure you're spinning the wires with the sensor itself or you'll damage them.

The raw fuel smell is probably just from him attempting to crank it and flooding the engine.

IIRC, he PM'd me about this a month ago and wasn't able to get anywhere with it.
the raw fuel was when driving, but ONLY when the heater was on? Not the AC

i did pm yoy, I unplugged the FPS per your instruction and got it to crank but not start

Is there any way a new sensor would make it start? How would that work? Should have started in limp mode while unplugged correvt?

alsoc not sure if this matters at all, but my driveway is at a fairly steep incline, would the car having sat on the incline that long cause anything with the fuel or oil or just something weird?
Old 03-02-20, 05:32 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shelby7
I can have it towed I guess but just really wanted to prevent a large bill.

i was hoping it was the FPS but since it now cranks and doesn’t start, that doesn’t seem to be the problem

I was seeing if anyone had another idea of what it could be and I could try solving it myself

Is there a way to diagnose myself if it’s the fuel pump?

would a bad fuel pump cause the issues I have?
You can do what I did to diagnose it was the fuel pump: head over to the auto store and grab some Starting fluid and spray it in the intake. If it runs for a bit then quits that's probably it. At 289k has the fuel pump ever been replaced?? Ours quit at 152k so if that is the original pump it's likely the cause. Btw, don't go to the dealer for it they will charge you an arm and a leg (upwards of $1,200). I picked a used one up on eBay out of a '07 for $100 and replaced it myself. It's relatively simple as it sits directly under the back seat.

Quick Reply: 2006 IS350 won’t start, HELP