IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Green start led, diags pass... wont start. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20 | 06:29 AM
8UANEW1
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Green start led, diags pass... wont start. Ideas?

Pulled the car into reverse as it was starting, before it was fully started. Put back into Park, now it wont start. Car passes all initial checks on dash, no power to the starter (it seems). Push button light is green, just nothing after that. I've tinkered with the position of the shifter Battery has been verified by O'Reilly. Disconnecting neg cable overnight; car turns over once but doesn’t start. Then back to nothing with start button but passes initial diagnostics check on button push. Its as if it's in some funky mode after I pulled it into reverse before it was fully started. This happened when I was in a hurry to pull the car in the garage... it's happened before but never had an issue afterwards. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-20 | 10:53 AM
Gville350

So, did you say that when turned off you popped open the "manual release" for the shifter and was able to shift it through the gears. And of course when in "PARK", it still now will not start?
Old 02-10-20 | 03:30 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Have you tried to start it in Neutral ? I have done this with other cars not starting in park when everything checks out.
Old 02-10-20 | 04:28 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Petet
Have you tried to start it in Neutral ? I have done this with other cars not starting in park when everything checks out.
Those were a by product of the neutral safety switch not seeing Neutral. OP doesn't have this problem or the green light would not come on.
Old 02-10-20 | 04:35 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 8UANEW1
Pulled the car into reverse as it was starting, before it was fully started. Put back into Park, now it wont start. Car passes all initial checks on dash, no power to the starter (it seems). Push button light is green, just nothing after that. I've tinkered with the position of the shifter Battery has been verified by O'Reilly. Disconnecting neg cable overnight; car turns over once but doesn’t start. Then back to nothing with start button but passes initial diagnostics check on button push. Its as if it's in some funky mode after I pulled it into reverse before it was fully started. This happened when I was in a hurry to pull the car in the garage... it's happened before but never had an issue afterwards. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
I know it's been a little bit of time, but I have to ask, do you remember it cranking longer than normal and that perhaps is why you inadvertently moved the gear selector?
I ask, I'm going to guess you have another problem.

After the battery disconnect; how long does it crank spinning the engine without starting?

Do you have a test lamp or hand held DMM?
In short you need to know a couple of things. Is the starter relay (in a box on the fender w fuses) being activated. If yes, likely the starter. If no we have some testing to do.

Try disconnecting the battery one more time and for kicks, hold the throttle down fully and press the button. How long does it crank? Well, if it does at all?