IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is350 Broken Radiator Cap w Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 11:20 AM
ncatona
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Is350 Broken Radiator Cap w Pics

Hey everyone I was going to follow some instructions about bleeding air from my system which it has since I squeezed the hoses and I heard air in it, then after that I took off the radiator cap and found this..

So something is broken inside the radiator that came off the cap then? I will try to remove it with some tweezers..
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 11:50 AM
ncatona
Intermediate

I also checked my resevior capacity and it seems low.., the hose thats inside of the resevior is only wet at the very bottom.
Old 02-11-20, 12:26 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Is that the original Radiator Cap? Flip the top and take a pic and post it so we can look.
Old 02-11-20, 12:30 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

https://cartreatments.com/radiator-c...tion-symptoms/

http://oil-pages.com/2015/07/21/prob...-radiator-cap/

ncatona (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 12:53 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Is that the original Radiator Cap? Flip the top and take a pic and post it so we can look.

Old 02-11-20, 12:54 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

I never had any over heating issues, the temp gauge also always stayed in the middle, but I just heard the air in my cooling system and now found this...
Old 02-11-20, 01:29 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Unless you recently drained and refilled the system, I highly doubt you have any air in the system. As for the radiator cap, it seems the middle piece likes to break on older/higher mileage cars when it's removed, so you can simply just replace it.

Common leak areas on these cars: overflow reservoir cap (this is a known issue, and even brand new reservoir caps leak which is why the reservoir is low occasionally. I've personally gone through 2 and have learned to just live with it), and the water pump weep hole (you'll have to replace it at this point if it's leaking from there).
ncatona (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 01:33 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by ncatona
Hey everyone I was going to follow some instructions about bleeding air from my system which it has since I squeezed the hoses and I heard air in it, then after that I took off the radiator cap and found this..

So something is broken inside the radiator that came off the cap then? I will try to remove it with some tweezers..
If I'm not mistaken this inspection was prompted by another thread whereby a 250 member reported hearing rushing water when starting the engine.
The thread below captures the suspect cap doing exactly what was expected; not refilling the blocks coolant level...
Take a look...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...is250-rwd.html
sound-of-water-for-few-seconds-when-starting-is250-rwd

OP, glad you found this now! Did you find the stainless cap? The SS cap is missing from the photo and fits through the fill neck. Its pretty small.

I don't how how far the vacuum cap could migrate but it could raise hell. At least the seal for stayed as that could really get to strange places....

How long have you been hearing the water sound?

Edit: adding pic.
This is a random pic but something like this disc is MIA unless you recovered it? This disc closes under pressure and opens after the engine cools down. This action pulls fluid from the reservoir to keep the block full. Without this disc; the system will not build pressure and when it tries to, it will simply dump the coolant into the reservoir causing it to overflow.

Moral of the story is if the block is pushing out coolant the reservoir is likely stained with coolant and inspection is required. Remove the cap when the engine is cold.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 02-11-20 at 01:55 PM.
ncatona (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 02:19 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
If I'm not mistaken this inspection was prompted by another thread whereby a 250 member reported hearing rushing water when starting the engine.
The thread below captures the suspect cap doing exactly what was expected; not refilling the blocks coolant level...
Take a look...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...is250-rwd.html
sound-of-water-for-few-seconds-when-starting-is250-rwd

OP, glad you found this now! Did you find the stainless cap? The SS cap is missing from the photo and fits through the fill neck. Its pretty small.

I don't how how far the vacuum cap could migrate but it could raise hell. At least the seal for stayed as that could really get to strange places....

How long have you been hearing the water sound?

Edit: adding pic.
This is a random pic but something like this disc is MIA unless you recovered it? This disc closes under pressure and opens after the engine cools down. This action pulls fluid from the reservoir to keep the block full. Without this disc; the system will not build pressure and when it tries to, it will simply dump the coolant into the reservoir causing it to overflow.

Moral of the story is if the block is pushing out coolant the reservoir is likely stained with coolant and inspection is required. Remove the cap when the engine is cold.
so the missing piece is out of it now, and just bought a new cap from the dealer... heres a side by side pic.

I will now start up the car and let it run with heater on high, and fill it up with distilled water then close it up.
Old 02-11-20, 02:20 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zmon
Unless you recently drained and refilled the system, I highly doubt you have any air in the system. As for the radiator cap, it seems the middle piece likes to break on older/higher mileage cars when it's removed, so you can simply just replace it.

Common leak areas on these cars: overflow reservoir cap (this is a known issue, and even brand new reservoir caps leak which is why the reservoir is low occasionally. I've personally gone through 2 and have learned to just live with it), and the water pump weep hole (you'll have to replace it at this point if it's leaking from there).
actually before I bought the car the previous owner had the dealer change the coolant in it.... so thats why its got this problem, and I didnt really notice the water sound until now..
Old 02-11-20, 02:28 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Good news you found the part! Excellent! Let's see if the noise goes away....
Old 02-11-20, 03:56 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine did something similar during the past summer. I pulled the cap off and the gizzards of the cap were all broken apart. No overheating issues or anything. The overflow reservoir was empty which is why I checked but the block was full. It must have just happened. I also noticed that my radiator was starting to fail at the same time. It was wet around the top driver side. This was just prior to 150k. I usually replace radiator caps and thermostats at 100k miles but I was slacking and kind of just forgot about it. I originally bought an aftermarket radiator cap to get me by but ordered OEM. I've never had a radiator cap actually fail before. I'm honestly not certain which would be better, aftermarket or OEM.
ncatona (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 04:37 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Bleeding it rn, heaters blasting at full with the a/c option on

Edit: I am buying the spill free funnel and properly bleed it out that way.

Last edited by ncatona; 02-11-20 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 06:27 PM
HybridHB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caps these days dont last long since theyre half plastic. Theyre cheap enough to replace every 60k miles.
ncatona (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 10:28 PM
ncatona
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Good news you found the part! Excellent! Let's see if the noise goes away....
yes hopefully, and I have been hearing this water sound for a few months now....

Quick Reply: Is350 Broken Radiator Cap w Pics