IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Spoiler bolt on

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 08:22 AM
Omarbud998
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler bolt on

So i had a spoiler and diffuser on the back of my car and someone decided to steal them and my front bumper and grill overnight, so i was just wondering what's the best way to keep the new spoiler on this time, i got the same style spoiler, just carbon fiber this time haha, thank you!

Old 02-14-20, 10:17 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

They had time to steal your front bumper and rear spoiler, but didn't go the extra mile to take the headlights or anything else and you didn't hear anything? Impressive. There's supposed to be a few clips that need to be removed from raising the hood, but I guess they said screw it and just pulled them off probably breaking the mounts, and the grille in the process. If the thieves are stupid, that red isn't exactly common so they'll toss it right onto their car. Even stupider is the fact that those front bumpers prepainted only go for $100ish on Amazon/eBay, almost not even worth it stealing just to get caught. Keep an eye on offerup, craigslist, facebook marketplace, and the like, I wouldn't put it past them to be stupid enough to list those specific parts as well. The bigger issue is thieves gonna thieve, not much can stop them unless they get caught.

Anyways, not much you can really do besides garaging the car, parking as close to possible to a wall, or even getting a motion alarm on the car. You can always put up cameras if that's an option. And of course, make sure your car is always locked.
Old 02-14-20, 11:10 AM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
They had time to steal your front bumper and rear spoiler, but didn't go the extra mile to take the headlights or anything else and you didn't hear anything? Impressive. There's supposed to be a few clips that need to be removed from raising the hood, but I guess they said screw it and just pulled them off probably breaking the mounts, and the grille in the process. If the thieves are stupid, that red isn't exactly common so they'll toss it right onto their car. Even stupider is the fact that those front bumpers prepainted only go for $100ish on Amazon/eBay, almost not even worth it stealing just to get caught. Keep an eye on offerup, craigslist, facebook marketplace, and the like, I wouldn't put it past them to be stupid enough to list those specific parts as well. The bigger issue is thieves gonna thieve, not much can stop them unless they get caught.

Anyways, not much you can really do besides garaging the car, parking as close to possible to a wall, or even getting a motion alarm on the car. You can always put up cameras if that's an option. And of course, make sure your car is always locked.
Seems like the theif is either fixing his car and needed the bumper and decided to take the spoiler and diffuser as well while at it because it's so easy if it was just taped. Or he was fixing someone's car and stole it. Either way to OP best way to keep your spoiled is out the bolts on. Takes a little extra time but it's safe after that
Old 02-15-20, 02:23 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Hopefully the thief dies a painful, slow death. Can’t stand lazy people who want to take what other’s have earned.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbaugher47:
MikeyStyle (02-15-20), Omarbud998 (02-17-20)
Old 02-16-20, 10:53 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Hopefully the thief dies a painful, slow death. Can’t stand lazy people who want to take what other’s have earned.
^^ Cheers to pain and suffering for taking vs earning...

This isn't applicable to much of this but torx socket cap with the anti-theft protrusion will slow some down. Taking this a step further one fills said fastener with either silicone or epoxy. It will slow them and you down.

I won't go into details but they do make anti-theft one time use bolts too... As they reach torque spec they shear off leaving no drive point for removal.

Sorry about your loss and GL going forward.