IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS350 w/ 145k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20 | 11:28 AM
Zonkz
Driver School Candidate

Default 2007 IS350 w/ 145k Miles

Recently had my 2005 IS300 totaled and I need a new car. I have a few options I was looking at but I think I found a pretty good is350 for sale. He wants $7600 for it. It's a 2007 IS350 with 145k miles and RWD. He said water pump replaced at 120k (by previous owner so he doesn't have proof), new brake pads, tires were changed recently, brand new suspension put on 3k miles ago, and has some kind of aftermarket wheels. Carfax is clean with no accidents reported. It's had 4 owners so I would be the 5th one. I'm always scared with a lot of owners since I have no way of knowing how they treated the car. The timing chain gears were replaced by Lexus Dealer around 75k miles. I think it said on the Lexus website that the dash was replaced, but they didn't have door panels in stock so my guess is that they were never replaced? The reason I'm interested in it is because it already has coilovers (tein flex z) which saves me money and time. Also it has some decent looking wheels. With all things considered and with the friends I've talked with, they said that $7000 would be a fair price for it. If I could convince the guy to sell it for $7000, would it be worth buying?

Here is a picture of it if it helps.

Last edited by Zonkz; 02-15-20 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-15-20 | 12:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zonkz
Recently had my 2005 IS300 totaled and I need a new car. I have a few options I was looking at but I think I found a pretty good is350 for sale. He wants $7600 for it. It's a 2007 IS350 with 145k miles and RWD. He said water pump replaced at 120k (by previous owner so he doesn't have proof), new brake pads, tires were changed recently, brand new suspension put on 3k miles ago, and has some kind of aftermarket wheels. Carfax is clean with no accidents reported. It's had 4 owners so I would be the 5th one. I'm always scared with a lot of owners since I have no way of knowing how they treated the car. The timing chain gears were replaced by Lexus Dealer around 75k miles. I think it said on the Lexus website that the dash was replaced, but they didn't have door panels in stock so my guess is that they were never replaced? The reason I'm interested in it is because it already has coilovers (tein flex z) which saves me money and time. Also it has some decent looking wheels. With all things considered and with the friends I've talked with, they said that $7000 would be a fair price for it. If I could convince the guy to sell it for $7000, would it be worth buying?

Here is a picture of it if it helps.
I don't think you could go wrong with an IS350 with that mileage if it was taken care of and all recalls done. Personally I would only buy one if it was completely stock, but that's just my personal opinion
Old 02-15-20 | 02:21 PM
bbaugher47

Join us on va lexus club on FB. Few people have vouched for the car/ owner.
Old 02-15-20 | 04:53 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

If panels were out of stock but we're supposed to be replaced they would still replace it. As long as there's a complaint filed before the wdash warranty expired then they would still replace. That said 4-5 owners does scare me. Especially on a Lexus where it's easy to find 1-2 owners and dealer maintenained.
Old 02-15-20 | 05:02 PM
Zonkz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Join us on va lexus club on FB. Few people have vouched for the car/ owner.
Sent a request but don't know if I'll be accepted in. Care to share some info? Does the owner have a bad rep or something? Would you suggest to stay away?
Old 02-15-20 | 06:06 PM
Zonkz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
If panels were out of stock but we're supposed to be replaced they would still replace it. As long as there's a complaint filed before the wdash warranty expired then they would still replace. That said 4-5 owners does scare me. Especially on a Lexus where it's easy to find 1-2 owners and dealer maintenained.
So do you recommend not purchasing it? Think I'd have better luck waiting for something better to come along?
Old 02-16-20 | 02:34 AM
bbaugher47

Oh , i meant in a positive way. I’ll check for your request and accept it.
Old 02-16-20 | 09:10 AM
Zonkz
Driver School Candidate

Oh , i meant in a positive way. I’ll check for your request and accept it.
Oh okay cause I got really worried there. How do you feel about the price of $7,000 considering the amount of miles and owners it's had? I want to find a new car as soon as possible but want to make sure I don't do an impulse buy and regret it in the future.
Old 02-16-20 | 09:26 AM
bbaugher47

It never hurts to look at it in person. And maybe take a mechanic with you or just give it a look over. 7,000 isn't bad ,but not sure what the value is. Modifications don’t really add value to the car in my opinion. But if the car seems solid than it would be a good purchase.
Old 02-16-20 | 10:08 AM
Zonkz
Driver School Candidate

It never hurts to look at it in person. And maybe take a mechanic with you or just give it a look over. 7,000 isn't bad ,but not sure what the value is. Modifications don’t really add value to the car in my opinion. But if the car seems solid than it would be a good purchase.
Yeah I will for sure be looking at it in person and I don't plan on going without a mechanic buddy of mine. I know that modifications don't really add value to the car which is why I feel bad about paying $7,000 for it since it's not really worth that much. I feel like the car seems pretty solid, but to be honest I'm not the greatest with cars and the 145k miles is what scares me.
Old 02-16-20 | 11:27 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Other than HU electronics failing, the engine isn't likely to faulter in a costly way or the rear diff. Everything else is wear and tear items like brakes, wheel bearings, axles, alternators... Things that happen to all cars regardless of who owned them.

IMO the only real gamble is the trans. If you get it, lets go through a proper drain and fill and get some new fluid in it. Likely run to 200,000 or so. You'd be ok with that, right?
Old 02-16-20 | 11:48 AM
Zonkz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Other than HU electronics failing, the engine isn't likely to faulter in a costly way or the rear diff. Everything else is wear and tear items like brakes, wheel bearings, axles, alternators... Things that happen to all cars regardless of who owned them.

IMO the only real gamble is the trans. If you get it, lets go through a proper drain and fill and get some new fluid in it. Likely run to 200,000 or so. You'd be ok with that, right?
HU electronics? He tried to tell me that the trans fluid is rated for "lifetime" from factory and that the trans is sealed. Seems like there is so much misinformation on whether or not to replace the trans fluid or not. Some people say its bad, other says to do it. I'm not really sure what to believe but I feel like the whole "lifetime" thing is a scam from the dealer. Thing is that I'm always worried about resell value incase I have to end up selling the car in the future. Not only would it have high miles but also 5 owners at that point. Maybe I should just wait and hope something better comes along while keeping my eye on a few other similar cars.
Old 02-16-20 | 02:29 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Take into consideration how many miles do you drive a year ? I currently have 174k on my 08 350 drive about 30k a year. I already knew there would be no resale value due to the mileage. My plan is to drive it until I’m board of it. Which isn’t going to happen anytime soon. If something brakes fix it. Trans goes replace it. As long as the body doesn’t rot away it will be a solid car.
Do some searching on transmission drain and fill. Tons of information on this site.
Old 02-16-20 | 09:00 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zonkz
HU electronics? He tried to tell me that the trans fluid is rated for "lifetime" from factory and that the trans is sealed. Seems like there is so much misinformation on whether or not to replace the trans fluid or not. Some people say its bad, other says to do it. I'm not really sure what to believe but I feel like the whole "lifetime" thing is a scam from the dealer. Thing is that I'm always worried about resell value incase I have to end up selling the car in the future. Not only would it have high miles but also 5 owners at that point. Maybe I should just wait and hope something better comes along while keeping my eye on a few other similar cars.
HU = Head Unit. The display and/or touch screen dies.

Trans... People get stuck in the past. Fluid change won't kill trans from the last 20 years. Not doing it will. Life time is 120k. max. Change the fluid and drive it.