IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission issue and flush/drain questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 11:05 AM
GameHunter
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Question Transmission issue and flush/drain questions.

I have a 2010 Lexus IS 250 AWD. I have owned it since 2014 when it had 55,000 miles and now sits at 130K miles. It was "certified" from Lexus of woodfield, and I have kept up with all regularly scheduled maintenance with lexus and at home depending on the service.
The two concerns I have are this:
1. When I get on the gas at about 45-60, it will drop to third gear, however, it will hang in the upper revs waiting on the transmission to deliver 3rd, for maybe 2-3 seconds before the transmission itself re-engages. So there is no acceleration before this point.
2. The Lifetime fluid discussion is over done. It is fluid that degrades over time, everything does. My concern is, when introducing new fluid, it wont have the same properties of the current fluid and then cause issues with items that have worn down in the transmission expecting to see the same resistance or properties of the old fluid.
So should I change the fluid to extend the life or will it just cause more problems in the long run.
I worked at lexus of Melbourne for six months and every single tech said to never touch it...

Also, I need to change diff fluid in front and rear because they haven't been done before so if anyone has ever done that, that would be great info.
Old 02-25-20, 11:27 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Front differential for AWD. I need to fix this thread later, and some of my post's. So bear with me it's my first AWD ever owned. Learned along the hard way to get some things done.

FRONT:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10282976

Rear: ISx50
IS250 uses less fluid than the IS350 only difference.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...al-fluid-chang
Old 02-25-20, 11:39 AM
GameHunter
Driver

Ok, so from my understanding the procedure should have the car up to temp. 2-3 quarts will drain, put the same amount of new fluid back in, and then get the car back to operating temp, then pull the overfill drain plug. Is this in the right line of thinking?
Old 02-25-20, 11:41 AM
GameHunter
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Front differential for AWD. I need to fix this thread later, and some of my post's. So bear with me it's my first AWD ever owned. Learned along the hard way to get some things done.

FRONT:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10282976

Rear: ISx50
IS250 uses less fluid than the IS350 only difference.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...al-fluid-chang
Yeah for sure the Front diff is a PITA to get to.
Thank you
Old 02-25-20, 11:50 AM
GameHunter
Driver

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
That's simplified to the actual procedure, but yes. The final steps are to put it in transmission check model, which ensures that the transmission is at the correct temperature, and let it drain out of the overflow until it's a thin stream. If you don't do this step, you won't get the correct amount.
Alright, duly noted.
Old 02-25-20, 12:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,215 Likes on 1,724 Posts

I have a 2010 RWD IS350, I did the rear differential fluid change a few weeks back at 60K. I used Amsoil Severe Gear oil 75W-90. Car has never driven better. at around 70K or 80K I will be changing the ATF fluid with Amsoil Synthetic ATF that I picked up from a friend who had extra. I'm going to let my mechanic do it, he's done a lot of Toyota's and Lexus's, he does a transmission flush
Old 02-25-20, 01:25 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts

OP I will only say that your comments seemed mixed. No fluid lasts forever and Buddies said its fine.

I have six years at a country wide transmission service center rebuilding transmissions.

People are living on old tales from the past that WERE TRUE 30 and 40 years ago. They are not true today! Fluids are no longer turning into turpentine and breaking down like they used to. Change the fluid sooner than later or pay the man.... As for power flushing being harmful, the only fluid swap that is harmful is when services do not return the same pressure and volume in the coolant lines. Specifically doing dumb things like pumping oil out of a cooling line and not returning anything in the return line. That will destroy stuff.

Change the fluid....
Old 02-25-20, 01:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
As for power flushing being harmful, the only fluid swap that is harmful is when services do not return the same pressure and volume in the coolant lines. Specifically doing dumb things like pumping oil out of a cooling line and not returning anything in the return line. That will destroy stuff.

Change the fluid....
Can you explain this part? I would be interested in learning more about this. Thanks!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-25-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 01:38 PM
GameHunter
Driver

OP I will only say that your comments seemed mixed. No fluid lasts forever and Buddies said its fine.

I have six years at a country wide transmission service center rebuilding transmissions.

People are living on old tales from the past that WERE TRUE 30 and 40 years ago. They are not true today! Fluids are no longer turning into turpentine and breaking down like they used to. Change the fluid sooner than later or pay the man.... As for power flushing being harmful, the only fluid swap that is harmful is when services do not return the same pressure and volume in the coolant lines. Specifically doing dumb things like pumping oil out of a cooling line and not returning anything in the return line. That will destroy stuff.

Change the fluid....
Well then, sounds like I need to find a Lexus dealer or a Toyota dealer near me willing to do the service. I would assume only some have the equipment required. Also, what about the strainer or filter inside the transmission? Lexus parts says I can get it for $50. I also still get my discount at Lexus of Melbourne because I left on good terms. But I am hesitant to go back and get the service done there just because I feel like I'd be arguing with everyone along the way.
Old 02-25-20, 02:46 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Can you explain this part? I would be interested in learning more about this. Thanks!
Not much to it. Return what you take out as bearings, bushings, thrust surfaces are counting on fluid for survival.

Like putting a human on bypass for open heart surgery and pumping their fluids into a bucket without returning any. It doesn't go well.
The difference here is vehicle is out of the shop before it blows up.

This all stems from transmissions that have no drain service port. So they pump it out using the coolant lines and then top it off using a fill port or dipstick. If it only took 45 seconds great, but its more like 25min of no return fluids. Make sense? Crappy shops do do this type of stuff.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 02:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Not much to it. Return what you take out as bearings, bushings, thrust surfaces are counting on fluid for survival.

Like putting a human on bypass for open heart surgery and pumping their fluids into a bucket without returning any. It doesn't go well.
The difference here is vehicle is out of the shop before it blows up.

This all stems from transmissions that have no drain service port. So they pump it out using the coolant lines and then top it off using a fill port or dipstick. If it only took 45 seconds great, but its more like 25min of no return fluids. Make sense? Crappy shops do do this type of stuff.
Thanks for the explanation. The mechanic I take my cars to does a flush, he's done two of my Toyotas and tons of others, so he knows what he is doing, but I never asked him specifics on how he does it. Thanks again for the explanation
Old 02-25-20, 03:16 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

When I asked my Lexus dealer exactly what they were doing for $100 a quart they said for $300 they will keep it over night, drain what comes out and fill to level checking it. I said no.

It pays to ask. Everyone - male or female should ask, show me the parts, show me the process if there is a hint of BS going on. Not just transmission work. All work. That hesitation of (insert whatever pukes out) can be very telling of the business practice.
When they say sure, its right here, you can decline... Same is true of repair quotes. Show me where my money is going.
The following users liked this post:
mike33 (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 03:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

When I asked my Lexus dealer exactly what they were doing for $100 a quart they said for $300 they will keep it over night, drain what comes out and fill to level checking it. I said no.

It pays to ask. Everyone - male or female should ask, show me the parts, show me the process if there is a hint of BS going on. Not just transmission work. All work. That hesitation of (insert whatever pukes out) can be very telling of the business practice.
When they say sure, its right here, you can decline... Same is true of repair quotes. Show me where my money is going.
With my mechanic, I don't need to ask details. He's been doing maintenance on my cars since 2009, more than 50 percent less than the Toyota dealer using the same OEM parts. I had a 2004 Toyota Sienna (my wife totaled it at 140K), two years prior a different mechanic changed the brakes. It was making a horrible squeaking noise, I took it to him to change the brakes. He called me about an hour later to let me know the brakes were still good, but because they were heavy duty they made a lot of noise. I asked him how much life was left in them, he said about 6 months and I told him to put them back for now. A co-worker heard me talking to him and told me I should have just had him change them as he was going to charge me labor, anyway, I went to pick up the van, and when I asked him how much I owed him, he said ZERO, I didn't do anything. Since he cleaned everything up and put it back together I told him he should charge me something, but he refused. Many times he will do an oil change or brake job on one of my cars and will tell me to pay him next time (I have 3 cars, and their maintenance intervals usually fall one after another). I said to him one time he did this what if I die before I get to pay you? His answer: It's only money. Anyway, you don't find very many mechanics like him
Old 02-26-20, 02:06 PM
GFord
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Change it

You should change it. I bought a 2011 is250 AWD never changed. I have done 3 drains and fills and each time it gets better.
1. I live in Houston and the Lexus dealers will not touch them
2. The Toyota dealers will service the same transmissions Lexus considers to be a lifetime. Toyota recommended transmission fluid change interval 3 years 36000 miles https://www.joemyerstoyota.com/servi...houston-tx.htm
3. Aisin who makes the transmission suggests you change the fluid every 2 years 20000 km. See attached
http://www.aisinaftermarket.jp/en/to...ary/index.html

If you have read this you pretty much know that you a sabotaging your car by not changing the transmission fluid.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Aisin AFW Change.pdf (1.34 MB, 53 views)
Old 02-26-20, 04:12 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by GameHunter
Yeah for sure the Front diff is a PITA to get to.
Thank you
Found a pic online from a GS350 AWD.

Quick Reply: Transmission issue and flush/drain questions.