IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership has agreed to replace dash & door panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20 | 05:31 AM
snakeopus
9th Gear

Default Dealership has agreed to replace dash & door panels

Just wanted to add a data point to community – the local dealership here in Chantilly, Virginia has agreed to replace the dash pad and door panels in my 2010 IS250 --- really happy about that! They have to order the parts – said the parts department will call me when they come in.

I’ve only owned the car since January – have not experienced any hot days - so I have not actually witnessed any “stickiness” with any of the interior materials – and the dash/door panels do not seem to have any blemishes– however since the warranty time period is ending for my car I figured I’d give it a shot.

That being said – I have put a little over 4000 miles on my car since purchasing it January 2nd – bringing the total mileage to 49,xxx– such a great car! No issues at all – everything seems to work perfectly – going to replace the rotors/pads on the next warm weekend.

Going to do my best to take care of this car
The following 2 users liked this post by snakeopus:
AMIRZA786 (03-06-20), TashaGreen (03-15-20)
Old 03-06-20 | 07:22 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

That's great IMO Lexus should have extended the dash and door panel recall for the earlier models a little longer, but I guess that's water under the bridge. The way Lexus vehicles last 10 years is nothing heck my GS400 is 20 years old and runs like a top. When we purchased our '08 IS250 a couple years ago I made sure the dash and door panels were replaced by Lexus. I probably would have kept searching for a different 2IS had they not been knowing the original recall date had passed.
Old 03-06-20 | 10:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by snakeopus
Just wanted to add a data point to community – the local dealership here in Chantilly, Virginia has agreed to replace the dash pad and door panels in my 2010 IS250 --- really happy about that! They have to order the parts – said the parts department will call me when they come in.

I’ve only owned the car since January – have not experienced any hot days - so I have not actually witnessed any “stickiness” with any of the interior materials – and the dash/door panels do not seem to have any blemishes– however since the warranty time period is ending for my car I figured I’d give it a shot.

That being said – I have put a little over 4000 miles on my car since purchasing it January 2nd – bringing the total mileage to 49,xxx– such a great car! No issues at all – everything seems to work perfectly – going to replace the rotors/pads on the next warm weekend.

Going to do my best to take care of this car
Had mine done on my 2010 IS350 in January (bought the car in September). There only a very small spot on the dash, but Lexus changed it without hesitation (gave me loaner car as well)

Old 03-15-20 | 01:35 PM
CFAI
Instructor

I have a '07 IS250 AWD and my dash and door panels are now degrading. Anyone have any experience trying to get some good will after the recall date? I assume it won't be worth it to replace, but figured I would ask here.
Thanks!
Old 03-15-20 | 04:27 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CFAI
I have a '07 IS250 AWD and my dash and door panels are now degrading. Anyone have any experience trying to get some good will after the recall date? I assume it won't be worth it to replace, but figured I would ask here.
Thanks!
Many people have tried and they all received similar responses, to pound sand. It doesnt hurt to attempt it and maybe get lucky but I dont think you'll get anywhere unfortunately
The following users liked this post:
CFAI (03-16-20)
Old 03-15-20 | 08:14 PM
Materials1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Had mine done on my 2010 IS350 in January (bought the car in September).
That's great. My current 2IS has 0 squeaks and rattles. The door panel has a very small spot that is getting sticky.

I'm hesitant about bringing it in because I don't want to leave with a new dash but also new squeaks and rattles in a car that is otherwise fine.

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-16-20 | 12:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Materials1
That's great. My current 2IS has 0 squeaks and rattles. The door panel has a very small spot that is getting sticky.

I'm hesitant about bringing it in because I don't want to leave with a new dash but also new squeaks and rattles in a car that is otherwise fine.

Thank you in advance.
It will be a new dashboard, so you should not have any squeaks or rattles. My new dash has none. The only rattle I have is in the drivers side front door, which still has the original panels. I wouldn't hesitate for a second, your getting a brand new dash!
Old 03-16-20 | 12:51 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

It will be a new dashboard, so you should not have any squeaks or rattles. My new dash has none. The only rattle I have is in the drivers side front door, which still has the original panels. I wouldn't hesitate for a second, your getting a brand new dash!
+1. The benefits of new dash/door panels far outweigh the thoughts of any squeaks or rattles. Ours was replaced a year before we purchased the car and there is nary a squeak out of the dash/door panels. Fits like a glove (they should being brand new).

Get on the list now because once the warranty enhancement is over it will be too late to ask.
AMIRZA786 (03-16-20)
Old 03-16-20 | 03:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kevin3344
+1. The benefits of new dash/door panels far outweigh the thoughts of any squeaks or rattles. Ours was replaced a year before we purchased the car and there is nary a squeak out of the dash/door panels. Fits like a glove (they should being brand new).

Get on the list now because once the warranty enhancement is over it will be too late to ask.
I second that
Old 03-17-20 | 07:12 AM
Materials1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kevin3344

Serious question: what are the benefits of a new dash/door panels? I ran my hand across my entire dash yesterday and couldn't find a single sticky spot, not even in the area closest to the windshield. And I live in hot Florida and park the car outside. The car has 130k miles on it now.

I think of the saying "don't fix what ain't broke."

The only area that's even slightly deteriorating is the driver's door panel grab handle, and it's barely noticeable at that; you can't really feel it and you'd have to be looking for it visually.

But the idea of a free, brand new loaner car for a day or two is nice ! And of course, to "reset" the clock on the driver's door panel would be nice, I guess.
Old 03-17-20 | 08:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Materials1
Serious question: what are the benefits of a new dash/door panels? I ran my hand across my entire dash yesterday and couldn't find a single sticky spot, not even in the area closest to the windshield. And I live in hot Florida and park the car outside. The car has 130k miles on it now.

I think of the saying "don't fix what ain't broke."

The only area that's even slightly deteriorating is the driver's door panel grab handle, and it's barely noticeable at that; you can't really feel it and you'd have to be looking for it visually.

But the idea of a free, brand new loaner car for a day or two is nice ! And of course, to "reset" the clock on the driver's door panel would be nice, I guess.
The benefit is... it's new. But if you're current dash has zero wear or blemishes, you've taken really good care of it. If it has even one scratch, I would change it. Than it will be good for another 130k
Materials1 (03-17-20)
Old 03-17-20 | 10:31 PM
Materials1
Driver School Candidate

The benefit is... it's new. But if you're current dash has zero wear or blemishes, you've taken really good care of it. If it has even one scratch, I would change it. Than it will be good for another 130k
Honestly I don't know. I'm the 4th owner and I've done nothing special to the dash. I don't Armor All it. I don't wipe it down regularly. It just appears to be perfectly fine on its own.

I'm glad to hear of the positive replacement stories and I'll be thinking about taking it in before March 2021 then.

Maybe I can ask them to just do the door panel and ignore the dash?
Old 03-18-20 | 05:41 AM
mandyfig

Lexus will evaluate your Dash and Doors and will recommend what needs to be replaced. Set up and appointment for them to review your Dash and Door Panels while the replacement program is in place. If you qualify then you are all set.

If you do not do your due diligence, you will be sorry and you do not want that. Invest in a visit.
AMIRZA786 (03-18-20)
Old 03-18-20 | 08:49 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Lexus will evaluate your Dash and Doors and will recommend what needs to be replaced. Set up and appointment for them to review your Dash and Door Panels while the replacement program is in place. If you qualify then you are all set.

If you do not do your due diligence, you will be sorry and you do not want that. Invest in a visit.
I agree. It also can degrade pretty quickly once you see an issue. Mine is an '07, and over the last 6 months it really got noticeable.
AMIRZA786 (03-18-20)
Old 03-18-20 | 02:26 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

There's too many threads about this so, please invest time in the "SEARCH" box and read before adding another thread. You can always post in the original thread which, has pertinent information regarding this.
That is all for now.

Quick Reply: Dealership has agreed to replace dash & door panels