IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Best Starter Mods I Can Do Myself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20 | 11:01 PM
707vic
Driver School Candidate

Default Best Starter Mods I Can Do Myself?

I was recently given my first car a 2012 Is250 from auction by my dad. I’ve always wanted to get into cars but since there are no mechanic schools near me it’s kind of hard. So I thought this would be the perfect time. The car is pretty much stock other than what I think was a muffler delete as it came really loud. I was wondering what are the best starter mods that I could do myself to learn about cars and how they work, thanks!
Old 03-07-20 | 02:23 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Changing all the interior lights to led makes interior pop more and look more modern. and switch out the taillights for some modern looking taillights that has the L shape. i really love the way Vlands taillights looks and i have them on my car. i also have the vland headlights as well but since im pretty sure you have the OEM headlights that already has the led L shape to them, i wouldn’t switch them since i think the oem ones looks better unless you want to switch.
The following users liked this post:
707vic (03-07-20)
Old 03-07-20 | 03:51 AM
redspencer
OG Member

If you're seeking to do some performance related mods,changing upgrading the intake system (stock box and/or intake pipe) and axleback exhaust are simple DIY swaps (there's also plenty of YouTube tutorial videos).

Sway bars will enhance the cornering capabilities of your is250 and are also very easy to to replace yourself (provided you are able to raise the vehicle via jacks and stands).

Happy modding!
The following users liked this post:
707vic (03-07-20)
Old 03-07-20 | 11:07 AM
707vic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davidbusta
Changing all the interior lights to led makes interior pop more and look more modern. and switch out the taillights for some modern looking taillights that has the L shape. i really love the way Vlands taillights looks and i have them on my car. i also have the vland headlights as well but since im pretty sure you have the OEM headlights that already has the led L shape to them, i wouldn’t switch them since i think the oem ones looks better unless you want to switch.
Thanks! I was wondering where are some places I can get the interior led lights ? I found the vland ones and I like the way they look.
Old 03-07-20 | 11:09 AM
707vic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redspencer
If you're seeking to do some performance related mods,changing upgrading the intake system (stock box and/or intake pipe) and axleback exhaust are simple DIY swaps (there's also plenty of YouTube tutorial videos).

Sway bars will enhance the cornering capabilities of your is250 and are also very easy to to replace yourself (provided you are able to raise the vehicle via jacks and stands).

Happy modding!
Thanks man I was thinking of doing a filter exchange for my first “mod” by myself just to get the hang of it since it looks pretty easy. Can you recommend some places where I can find a intake system for in the future ? Also the sway bar will help the car from rocking back and forth after turns as I noticed whenever I make a turn at high speed the car does that. Thanks again!
Old 03-07-20 | 11:32 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 707vic
Thanks! I was wondering where are some places I can get the interior led lights ? I found the vland ones and I like the way they look.
LEDpartsNow Interior LED Lights...
Amazon Amazon
i got these. They are cheap but they are pretty bright and I haven’t had any problems with them at all and I had them on since May 2019. How much longer will they last? I’m can’t tell you but if they start going out at this point I wouldn’t mind since they are cheap and easy to install and I’ll just order another set and change them out
Old 03-10-20 | 10:01 AM
Gville350

The #1 mod (in my mind) are performance tires. Being able to rip and grip the road AND have the ultimate confidence in the corners is #1 in my book.
Old 03-10-20 | 12:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Depending on year and model, you could swap grills, add a diffuser, a splitter, or even a spoiler if not equipped.

Me, I like to start by thoroughly cleaning everything my eyes can see and this includes the engine bay....

I spent a day and cleaned and painted the brake calipers. See posts 63 and 69 here.....

<< PASTE >> from build thread... #58
For anyone else who thinks Lexus fell short on their paint scheme there are some clean up options; like they couldn't blow down $12 worth of USB to match the body on the core support OR paint it all black.

In the before after pictures below I applied a tape line and simply used lacquer thinner and rag to remove the black overspray from the hardened grey undercoat thus giving it a clean line.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

FWIW: the grey is pretty tolerant of lacquer thinner while the black and blue have no hardener and quickly dissolve with solvents.
<<end>>

Those come to mind...
Old 03-18-20 | 06:50 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Hey 707vic,

Welcome and congrats on the IS250! I agree with Gville350 that a good set of tires can make a world of improvement.

If you're looking for a great DIY performance improvement to the likes of approx. +22whp and better throttle response, check out our Intake/High Flow Filter/ECU Tune combo: https://www.rr-racing.com/category-s/125.htm

Please feel free to give us a shout with any questions! We know these cars inside and out

- Alec
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 03-19-20 | 01:28 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Read thru some of the mods here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iy-thread.html

All else fails, YouTube.

I have lots of 2IS content on my YouTube.