IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Urgent coilover clunk/pop noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-20, 04:06 AM
Coreyeezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urgent coilover clunk/pop noise

Please forgive me if this question has been asked already, I searched everywhere and can’t find anything that helped which is why I resorted to making my own post.

I have a 2011 IS350 and have had some Megan racing coilovers on them for a while. I been dealing with this clunking/pop noise in the front (sounds like the front at least) of the car. It seems to be the passenger side front and it only happens when I accelerate from a complete stop.

Basically, whenever I gas from a stop sign for example, it makes a quick “pop” and then doesn’t do it again until another complete stop.

It is super annoying, have checked every single suspension bolt and the bolt under the damper setting as well. I had the car in the air on lift and made sure to triple check the ball joints and everything.

I was hoping maybe it’s something minor with the coilovers itself but I have not had a professional who knows about Lexus and coilovers check it out yet (no shops here in Sacramento that I can deem as reputable)

If you have any leads please comment and help me out, thanks!
Old 03-22-20, 04:42 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ere-first.html. Could be the preload.
Old 03-22-20, 05:42 PM
Coreyeezy
Driver School Candidate

Yeah man I was thinking it could be that because I bought the coils used so idk if the original owner messed with the preload or not
Old 03-23-20, 02:26 PM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

the springs shift when driving and if not installed properly can cause excess noise. the preload is a good start since that should not be adjusted too often. ride height is adjusted on the lower half of the coilover body, never the collar directly below the spring. also, check for loose collars or any other loose suspension components such as sway-bar endlinks.
Old 03-24-20, 03:06 AM
Coreyeezy
Driver School Candidate

Yeah man I was going to check the preload of each coilover but I am not too sure how to do that. I have a slight feeling that may be the problem but its weird because the noise is pretty much just the passenger front, if just that preload is off that would be funny. I never mess with the very top perch since I heard thats for preload. Yeah we checked all collars and torqued every other suspension components alongside the coilovers. Thanks for the tip though!
Old 03-24-20, 08:12 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

This is one of many videos explaining preload and how to adjust it :
Old 04-03-20, 04:41 PM
Coreyeezy
Driver School Candidate

I have not yet checked the preload because I do not have the tools to jack the car up. Is there anything else anyone could recommend to check for concerning the noise? I have tighten the bolts down on the top mount in the engine bay with an allen key and wrench already, have double checked the tightness on all UCA, LCA, and other suspension bolts in the front of the car. I have narrowed it down to pretty much the passenger front area as to where the noise is coming from. It is super annoying as it happens every single time I accelerate from a stop.