IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

P0390 help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 08:10 AM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0390 help!

Well i was driving the car one day then pulled up to a atop light and all of a sudden my car started acting up like it was misfiring, pulled the codes up and it was for P0390 For camshaft sensor malfunction Bank 2 Sensor B ..I've replaced both cam sensors on that side along with alternator and crankshaft sensor... car starts but kinda hesitates but itll start and run sluggish when i put it into gear forward or rev it just dies im out of ideas any have any ideas? Ive replaced spark plugs also.
Old 03-26-20, 08:40 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 185 Posts

Probably the starter since it's hesitating to start:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...365-p0390.html
Old 03-26-20, 08:53 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

How many miles? You mentioned it sounded like it was misfiring, is this an IS250 or 350?
Old 03-26-20, 09:02 AM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

its has 142000 miles, it is an 2007 is250
Old 03-26-20, 09:06 AM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

yeah mine nothing like how that video is but I was looking into replacing the starter next I am just dumping money in this thing I'm not no expert mechanic but I think I mess with cars a little so that way I kinda prevent myself from going to the dealership other than going in for recalls lol, but if it is the starter how is it tied in with the cam sensors? just so I can learn
Old 03-26-20, 09:28 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Remember the IS250 also has an issue with carbon buildup. We use Seafoam in ours from time to time it doesn't mitigate the problem but seems to help. Pour a can in your gas tank and let it idle for 10-15 min and see if that helps.
Old 03-26-20, 09:56 AM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

am I even replacing the right sensors? the first one next to the oil cap is the camshaft position sensor A and the one in the middle is B? I had repair the wire on sensor B because the pin broke and I want to look into having to test the wires I have ground coming from one and 5v. coming for the other then when I was checking for continuity there was two of the three wires that was beeping? is that normal? or I had tried searching through forums and everyone has a different setup as far as my wiring goes where all the ones I've seen have different colors where mine is Light green/black/ and the other one is white (which is the wire I had repaired so it is currently brown in this picture till I figure out everything)
Old 03-26-20, 10:15 AM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/19SbZP0z_pA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-26-20, 10:18 AM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

< video on youtube
Old 03-26-20, 01:30 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds to me like carbon buildup or a misfire, are there any other codes? Head to the auto store and grab some Seafoam and add it to your tank. Start it and let it idle for 10-15 min but be sure and do it outside as it will generate a lot of smoke. See if that improves things.
Old 03-26-20, 07:15 PM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

It is only throwing this one code P0390
Old 03-27-20, 07:54 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

P0390 = This P0390 trouble code indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit of bank 2.

So on our vehicles, the driver's side is bank 2; and you appear to have the correct two sensors circled. But your comment about re-doing the wiring has me worried that that is the issue. I'd start by figuring out what the voltages on the pinouts should be and ensure they're getting the signal they should.

Old 03-27-20, 02:19 PM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

Hey guy just wanna say thank you for all the help and i really appreciate it, update: carnis still down still same code P0390; and today i am going to be tearing the section of the harness where the sensor is back to the ECU/PCM so see if there a broken wire somewhere. as far as re doing the wire all i did was solder the wire back to the pin that it was broken off of.
Using a multimeter i had tested that plug for power / continuity / and ground. i had power (5v) with ignition switch to ACC with the engine NOT running. I had continuity when testing the ground wire, and im not sure if this is right but another wire had continuity im guessing it is the signal wire? But 2 of 3 wires had conitnuity with 1 being the power (is this correct?)
Old 03-31-20, 09:41 AM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

Update: I had exposes the engine harness part from where the camshaft sensor B Bank 2 is at all the wy back to the ECU and ohm’d out the wires ..two of the wires was at a steady 1.0 ohm and the last wire was kind of jumping around .05/ .06 ohm and im guessing the green wire goes to the ground because it went to a whole junction of other green wires and the red and white wire went to the ecu i checked for continuity and one of the wires goin to the ecu just beeped for a quick second but the other two was good. I will post up a video when i can so it is easier to explain.
Old 04-03-20, 12:10 PM
socalibstd
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE04/04/2020: well I checked out all the wiring and it seems to be all fines far as volts, ground, and resistance, but I started to wonder if I should be able to see the cam spinning if I took the camshaft position sensor out and so I did and I put a mark with a permanent marker on the cam lobe or that part where the sensor should be reading I started the car and shut it off and checked and noticed it had not moved, so I went to the other side on bank 1 cam sensor exhaust side and noticed that side was spinning with the car running and then I went back to check bank 2 sensor and noticed it wasn't spinning with the car on... maybe I'm dumbfounded and a stupid question but im trying to learn so isn't that part supposed to be spinning? (will post video soon)

Quick Reply: P0390 help!