IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS350 - transmission, wrong TC can I put a different TC in transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 07:54 PM
Bentley2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS350 - transmission, wrong TC can I put a different TC in transmission

Image says it all, if I’m missing anything please feel free to comment. I’m wondering if I can use the torque converter from my last transmission, into the transmission which I bought. Problem was, as the bought transmission was put into the car - the mechanic working on it told me the car felt “stuck” when attempting to start it. So he took everything apart again (headers, exhaust etc..) to take the transmission out and he learned I was given a faulty TC.

Last edited by Bentley2k; 04-09-20 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-10-20, 07:34 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

What specifically did they say was faulty about it? Are they sure the starter wasn't just jammed or incorrectly installed so it couldn't turn the flex plate?

Either way that really sucks!
Old 04-10-20, 08:31 AM
Bentley2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
What specifically did they say was faulty about it? Are they sure the starter wasn't just jammed or incorrectly installed so it couldn't turn the flex plate?

Either way that really sucks!
he informed me that the torque converter since it was the wrong one, actually wouldn’t align properly - initially he thought the transmission wasn’t aligned in properly but after taking everything apart he said it was the TC mismatch that is causing misalignment . Maybe it however could be something else, will update when original TC is placed into the transmission !
Old 04-10-20, 09:00 AM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont know much about Transmissions but i did relpace my own on my 06 is 250 rwd and did quite a bit of research. Rwd tranny has some different characteristics than the awd. If u bought the RIGHT tranny it should have the right tc with it. If its not starting it may be the wrong tranny i would assume. Ir something wasnt put together right. Rwd tranny is a a960e from 06 to 2014 will all work. AWD is a760h. This same tranny was put into 2013 and newer Subaru brz and scion frs 2014 and newer but also have different characteristics like bell houseing and output shaft exc. Make sure u or whoever got the tranny got the correct one.
Old 04-12-20, 03:10 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Unfortunately the mechanic most likely screwed up the install. How you ask, the TC has like four different sets of splines that must engage when installing the TC into the trans. A transmission once shipped or tipped forward will allow the TC to slip out and disengage 1 or more sets of splines.

If installed this way and the bell housing bolts tightened, it damages the front pump and TC while locking the TC in place just as you described.

A costly mistake that many newbs make. I'd guess the only way you prove it is by having an actual transmission mechanic tear it down and show both of you the damage.

You might open the conversation by asking the installer how they verified the TC was fully seated before installing into the vehicle?

Mind you, during the install, all you have to do is tip the nose of the trans down a small amount and the converter slips out. If not caught, damage occurs when the bell housing bolts are tightened.

I used to R&R and build autos, manuals, transfer cases and all of that for AAMCO so not my first rodeo...
The following users liked this post:
IS250DIYER (04-13-20)
Old 04-13-20, 02:58 AM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bentley2k
he informed me that the torque converter since it was the wrong one, actually wouldn’t align properly - initially he thought the transmission wasn’t aligned in properly but after taking everything apart he said it was the TC mismatch that is causing misalignment . Maybe it however could be something else, will update when original TC is placed into the transmission !
after reading 2013fsport post, the op above makes sense. It sounds like the mechanic "MAY" have put the tc on wrong, hence the reason he first thought the tranny wasnt going on right is because the tc wasnt set all the way into the transmission. He then might of slapped the tranny in anyway and smashed the tc against the flywheel. Motor wouldnt turn and he says its the wrong tc so u get a new one he puts it on right and ur none the wiser. Id look into it bc he may owe u a new tc insted of you paying out of ur pocket.

Aathon H.