IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

F Sport Sway Bar set question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 07:52 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
I've modified the original F-Sport brochure document to what I believe is what was intended to be displayed on the chart for the IS RWD, IS AWD, IS-Convertible, and GS models. They all show a 1:3 front/rear ratio of improvement over stock.

Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of swapping out the stock sway bars with the F-Sport sway bars on the second IS that I have (IS350C). I can try to measure the stock sway bars of the IS350C to see if these figures do have validity. So far, I can attest that the IS350C front F-Sport sway bar is noticeably heavier than the OEM front sway bar. Once I get the rear bar swapped this weekend, I can provide further input.
The Fsport front sway bar for the AWD 250 is 28.6 in diameter as well. I'm not sure where they got 30 from. I think the only one that is accurate is the GS.
Old 05-18-20, 09:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,628 Posts

So I received the F-Sport Sway bars, the RR Racing's Ultimate Steering Response System Lower Control Arm bushings, and the TM Engineering Steering Rack Bushing Kit. I got really lucky on the F-Sport Sway bars, I was able to buy them from a Lexus dealership in Sacramento, CA $380, I was able to haggle them to drop the S&H charges. I will be installing them around June
Old 05-20-20, 01:56 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After a few days of having these on my car... I can say. It's amazing. its a game changer for sure. Fills in the stability requirements and expectations one might have to live quite dangerously. In short, it makes the car capable of doing a lot more, and makes it feel much more rigid in high speed maneuvers and even at low speeds. Doesn't eliminate body roll entirely, but thats what the springs and shocks/struts are for. It gets rid of plenty of body roll though, and I cant wait to install the f-sport suspension now. I wouldn't recommend waiting to install the sways. It's a must do ASAP mod.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-20-20)
Old 05-20-20, 10:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 350360
After a few days of having these on my car... I can say. It's amazing. its a game changer for sure. Fills in the stability requirements and expectations one might have to live quite dangerously. In short, it makes the car capable of doing a lot more, and makes it feel much more rigid in high speed maneuvers and even at low speeds. Doesn't eliminate body roll entirely, but thats what the springs and shocks/struts are for. It gets rid of plenty of body roll though, and I cant wait to install the f-sport suspension now. I wouldn't recommend waiting to install the sways. It's a must do ASAP mod.
I can't wait either! I do want to install the sway bars, but I don't have good jack stands right now, and I want to do all three installs at once. There is a young engineer in the office who is an expert modder that will be helping me do the installs and his schedule will be clear the first week of June (he's currently rebuilding an E46 M3 he picked up for $1600)
ncatona (05-22-20)
Old 05-20-20, 11:08 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I know this is a sway bar thread, but the rear chassis is being overlooked. It compliments the sway bars even further.
AMIRZA786 (05-20-20)
Old 05-20-20, 11:19 AM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I know this is a sway bar thread, but the rear chassis is being overlooked. It compliments the sway bars even further.
does it even make a noticeable difference? When I ordered the sway bars I wanted to order chassis brace at the same time and install them at the same time. But I read so many mixed reviews on it about how there’s a difference or there’s no difference and it’s just added weight. But in the end I understood that it makes a difference in very aggressive cornering(like on the track or autocross). I didn’t end up getting it but maybe one day after I possibly get the f sport springs/shocks. I’m not too sure if I want f sport suspension or h&r springs with f sport shocks.
Old 05-20-20, 11:29 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by davidbusta
does it even make a noticeable difference? When I ordered the sway bars I wanted to order chassis brace at the same time and install them at the same time. But I read so many mixed reviews on it about how there’s a difference or there’s no difference and it’s just added weight. But in the end I understood that it makes a difference in very aggressive cornering(like on the track or autocross). I didn’t end up getting it but maybe one day after I possibly get the f sport springs/shocks. I’m not too sure if I want f sport suspension or h&r springs with f sport shocks.
This is the thread that helped me make my decision. When I had my old GS400 I had the 6 pc knock off Tom's rear braces. I never had chance to add the actual rear brace. As they had some available. Now I wish I did to pair it with the front TRD lower front brace. That in itself mad the GS handle well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ce-review.html
Old 05-20-20, 01:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I don't think I will need the chassis brace, I don't plan to track this car. The way I drive it, the suspension holds pretty well. Sometimes when I am in SoCal I drive some of the windy mountain and canyon roads with the stock suspension with no issues, I think the sway bars should shore up the minor body roll I get. I probably won't invest in F-Sport suspension unless the current suspension needs changing, which is unlikely. My plan is to either sell this car in the next few years and buy a used 3rd gen with the F-Sport package or maybe a 2010 thru 2012 ISF
Old 05-20-20, 01:23 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't think I will need the chassis brace, I don't plan to track this car. The way I drive it, the suspension holds pretty well. Sometimes when I am in SoCal I drive some of the windy mountain and canyon roads with the stock suspension with no issues, I think the sway bars should shore up the minor body roll I get. I probably won't invest in F-Sport suspension unless the current suspension needs changing, which is unlikely. My plan is to either sell this car in the next few years and buy a used 3rd gen with the F-Sport package or maybe a 2010 thru 2012 ISF
Yeah thats what I am thinking. But usually F-sport upgrades usually hold their value for resell if you want to go stock. So maybe after doing the f-sport springs and shocks I might buy the brace and keep the stock brace. And if I want to go back to stock I would hopefully be able to get a good chunk of my money back.
AMIRZA786 (05-20-20)
Old 05-20-20, 03:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davidbusta
Yeah thats what I am thinking. But usually F-sport upgrades usually hold their value for resell if you want to go stock. So maybe after doing the f-sport springs and shocks I might buy the brace and keep the stock brace. And if I want to go back to stock I would hopefully be able to get a good chunk of my money back.
That's true, especially being a Lexus part I would think that you would not even have to remove them (which would be more work than it's worth for me) and it would actually add some value when selling the car. I would pay slightly more for an IS350 that had the F-Sport package installed than one that doesn't, being everything equal that both cars are the same year, same mileage and condition. If I decide to keep my current IS350 long than the next 5 years, than I would consider an F-Sport suspension
Old 05-22-20, 10:39 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Lets not forget that if it didn't come stock on the car, it's not going to increase your car's value as much as we would like that to be the case (and in some cases, actually decreases it). It's fairly easy to find out if a car was originally specced for the sport trim (06-10) or the F-Sport trim (11+). As much as I would like to hope the F-Sport accessories would increase value, you'll really be waiting for a once in a blue moon event to find the right person who wants those accessories and is willing to pay a small premium for your car vs comparable cars instead of paying the retail price for those accessories (and trust me, those buyers are rare, especially on a car that is already dropping fairly low in value due to how old our generation is).

I've been thinking about picking up a set of the Bilstein F-Sport shocks from Bell Lexus, but at the same time, that $700 + install is quite a chunk of change on a car that just isn't worth much and certainly won't increase its value (except the old "NEW SHOCKS!")
AMIRZA786 (05-22-20)
Old 05-22-20, 11:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zmon
Lets not forget that if it didn't come stock on the car, it's not going to increase your car's value as much as we would like that to be the case (and in some cases, actually decreases it). It's fairly easy to find out if a car was originally specced for the sport trim (06-10) or the F-Sport trim (11+). As much as I would like to hope the F-Sport accessories would increase value, you'll really be waiting for a once in a blue moon event to find the right person who wants those accessories and is willing to pay a small premium for your car vs comparable cars instead of paying the retail price for those accessories (and trust me, those buyers are rare, especially on a car that is already dropping fairly low in value due to how old our generation is).

I've been thinking about picking up a set of the Bilstein F-Sport shocks from Bell Lexus, but at the same time, that $700 + install is quite a chunk of change on a car that just isn't worth much and certainly won't increase its value (except the old "NEW SHOCKS!")
You are probably right, and that's why I wouldn't spend the money on F Sport suspension unless I was keeping this car at least 5 more years. I really want to keep it, but I'm considering selling it in a few years and buying a 3rd gen lower mileage 2015 and up with an F Sport package, or maybe even a 2016 GS F (hopefully the price drops much more by then)!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-22-20 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 04:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It's been a week since I installed the F-Sport sway bar set and the RR Racing's Ultimate Steering Response System Lower control arm bushings, these are upgrades well worth doing. First the F-Sport Sway bars- they pretty much tighten up the chassis, and body roll has been significantly reduced. I also feel much more stable in both turns and at highway speeds. I wouldn't call it night and day, but significant enough of a difference making it well worth the time and money.

As far as the RR Racing's Ultimate Steering Response System: I was expecting some harshness and NVH, but nothing I can detect. Steering is firmer for sure. But the biggest noticeable positive impact has been in braking. When doing hard braking, I would get some sloppiness and vibrations in the steering wheel, and if I didn't hold the wheel firmly it would move. Not anymore. When I brake hard the steering remains firm.Also in turns steering feels more sure.

Around mid-June I will be heading to Southern Cal and will be meeting up with some friends to do some canyon carving. That will be the ultimate test for both the sway bars and the lower control arm bushings!

My Trump bucks at work! If there is a second round, hello Cusco RS Limited Slip Differential!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-06-20 at 07:47 PM.
RRRacing (06-08-20)
Old 06-07-20, 12:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Update- Today driving on roads that are in need of repair, you can definitely feel and hear a little bit of extra noise from the RR Racing lower control arm bushings. The imperfections are more pronounced, but it is not that bad. I am OCD when it comes to road/wind noise and vibrations (I drove a 2006 Camry SE 3.3L V6 for over 12 years!) and it doesn't bother me. On another note, it seems the Lower Control Arm Bushings are sold out and on back-order. A co-worker loved the way they changed the steering in my Lexus that he has been trying to order them. @RRRacing , Thank you for your great engineering and contributions to making Lexus a better platform. Let me know when these are going to be back in stock, I will pass that information on to my co-worker

RRRacing (06-08-20)
Old 06-08-20, 07:44 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,380 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Update- Today driving on roads that are in need of repair, you can definitely feel and hear a little bit of extra noise from the RR Racing lower control arm bushings. The imperfections are more pronounced, but it is not that bad. I am OCD when it comes to road/wind noise and vibrations (I drove a 2006 Camry SE 3.3L V6 for over 12 years!) and it doesn't bother me. On another note, it seems the Lower Control Arm Bushings are sold out and on back-order. A co-worker loved the way they changed the steering in my Lexus that he has been trying to order them. @RRRacing , Thank you for your great engineering and contributions to making Lexus a better platform. Let me know when these are going to be back in stock, I will pass that information on to my co-worker

Thank you for the kudos! Should have them back in stock in 1 to 2 weeks.
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

AMIRZA786 (06-08-20)

Quick Reply: F Sport Sway Bar set question