IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I was considering buying the RR Racing ECU Upgrade Tune...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 12:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,670 Posts
Default I was considering buying the RR Racing ECU Upgrade Tune...

...But I don't think that this car really needs it. Let me explain...

I am an IT Director for a medical device startup here in the Bay Area (Silicon valley). For the last couple of weeks I've been pretty much working from my couch due to the quarantine (Northern Cal has a strict stay in place quarantine). Since the quarantine started I've been going in and out of the office, but for the last 3 weeks I've been pretty much working from home. I needed to do a major upgrade to one of our servers and was planning to do it early this morning, but at around 10PM this evening I decided to get some fresh air, take a drive to the office to do the upgrade. It's better to be in the office if something goes wrong! And I just needed to get out.

So around 11:45 PM the upgrade has been completed, and I'm heading home. There's nobody on the road, and I'm enjoying the nice warm night air. Than at the light, a couple of young whipper snappers pull along side me in an Infiniti G35. I could see when they were first coming that they were taking advantage of the empty roads and driving very aggressively. I was curious to see how my IS350 would fare against a G35, and this one being a MT really piqued my curiosity. Just to let everyone know, I normally don't do this, but at the light I hit the throttle, and it wasn't even close. I figured he wasn't ready and I just got the jump on him. We hit the next light about a half mile down, and now he was ready. At the green we both gunned it, and he fell a bit behind me, but when he shifted into the next gear I left him at least a car's length. We hit about 70 mph and than I backed off and he shot past me. I was satisfied, and that ended my racing career for the night.

What I am saying is that I feel this car has all the power it needs. Yeah it won't do a 12 second quarter mile stock, but I'm happy with 14. Plus I think I would rather spend the money on steering and suspension tuning and handling, not something the car lacks, but could be improved upon. Am I wrong? Please weigh in with your opinions

BTW I just want to make it clear for those who have performance tuned your engines, I fully respect that and can understand why you would take that route

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-08-20 at 05:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ncatona (05-21-20)
Old 05-08-20, 07:14 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The 350 is plenty fast for most. Although we seem to always want more.

I agree with the suspension, tires and steering. For me, it’s usually where
I get the most driving enjoyment. Although a quick dusting of unsuspecting
drivers will get your adrenaline rushing as well.

And a nice set of wheels...
AMIRZA786 (05-08-20)
Old 05-08-20, 02:17 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I know what you mean. The 350 is in the high 13 area. Somewhere around 270whp. Not bad. I’m coming from a DSM that I daily drove and built from stock to 500whp. I only use that a reference because coming from that, I still find this car fun. It’s balanced and comfortable. I see no point in dropping thousands of dollars for 30whp.

Yesterday I ordered the F-sport front and rear sway bars. Can’t wait to see how much of a difference it makes. I love carving the roads, and I’m starting to favor handling over acceleration now.
The following 2 users liked this post by 350360:
AMIRZA786 (05-08-20), ncatona (05-21-20)
Old 05-08-20, 02:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 350360
Yea I know what you mean. The 350 is in the high 13 area. Somewhere around 270whp. Not bad. I’m coming from a DSM that I daily drove and built from stock to 500whp. I only use that a reference because coming from that, I still find this car fun. It’s balanced and comfortable. I see no point in dropping thousands of dollars for 30whp.

Yesterday I ordered the F-sport front and rear sway bars. Can’t wait to see how much of a difference it makes. I love carving the roads, and I’m starting to favor handling over acceleration now.
To be totally honest, I rarely use the power I have. I rarely go down more than a quarter, and occasionally I will slam it at an on ramp to the freeway. I figure putting my money in F Sport front and rear sway bars and upgraded lower control arm bushings will be the best bang for my buck. This should enhance the driving experience, especially on windy roads. I may look into upgrading the brakes next
ncatona (05-21-20)
Old 05-08-20, 03:02 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

I'd say it is good for a sprint. I wouldn't call it fast as it runs out of ponies above 80mph... The launch remains respectable again, is good for the era for an N/A V6. COVID put the brakes on my LSD install or I'd have that under way to improve traction and hopefully improve the launch such that with the nannies disabled, it does even better performing said launch!
Mine has the RR tune and just in case you haven't read this, in auto mode the shift points remain the same so it is only in manual mode that you'll pickup the extra rev's that come w the flash. That said, the lag in 2IS tiptronic requires driver awareness and anticipation in order to fully utilize the added RPM band and not loose ground by getting into the rev-limter.

JM2C but an observation from data logging, repeatedly produces the same amount of time lag from the transmission TCU vs instant lag free response from the engine ECU. This make me wonder if the TCU lag is somehow data transmission (Tx/Rx, encoding/decoding) issue vs computer processing issue. Anyone who has driven an AWD 3IS will notice the A760E's improved response to tiptronic input.

Last little bit; improving the suspension is a big win you use all the time. Having driven other 2IS, the F-Sport is improved but still needs a larger stiffer rear anti-sway bar. Followed by RC-F LCA or better...

Last edited by 2013FSport; 05-08-20 at 03:09 PM.
AMIRZA786 (05-08-20)
Old 05-08-20, 03:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I'd say it is good for a sprint. I wouldn't call it fast as it runs out of ponies above 80mph... The launch remains respectable again, is good for the era for an N/A V6. COVID put the brakes on my LSD install or I'd have that under way to improve traction and hopefully improve the launch such that with the nannies disabled, it does even better performing said launch!
Mine has the RR tune and just in case you haven't read this, in auto mode the shift points remain the same so it is only in manual mode that you'll pickup the extra rev's that come w the flash. That said, the lag in 2IS tiptronic requires driver awareness and anticipation in order to fully utilize the added RPM band and not loose ground by getting into the rev-limter.

JM2C but an observation from data logging, repeatedly produces the same amount of time lag from the transmission TCU vs instant lag free response from the engine ECU. This make me wonder if the TCU lag is somehow data transmission (Tx/Rx, encoding/decoding) issue vs computer processing issue. Anyone who has driven an AWD 3IS will notice the A760E's improved response to tiptronic input.

Last little bit; improving the suspension is a big win you use all the time. Having driven other 2IS, the F-Sport is improved but still needs a larger stiffer rear anti-sway bar. Followed by RC-F LCA or better...
Well, that's what an ISF is for! I rarely if ever go over 80 mph. Last year I took a trip to my aunts house, she lives in a small mountain town 4 hours North East of Southern Cal. There is only a two lane hwy thru windy mountain roads (hwy 198). After my visit I headed for Southern California, the fastest way is another 2 lane hwy that runs almost 100 miles East and West that connects you to the main highway. If you get stuck behind slow drivers or trucks...you could be stuck going 60 mph forever. Getting around these cars and trucks is very tricky, because of the curves you can't always see the oncoming traffic. So I had to floor it and I hit over 100 multiple times get around these slower vehicles to avoid oncoming traffic. Other an that, I mainly drive normally around 70 or 75 mph on the freeway, and 80 on long trips. So I really don't mind losing some of that power at the top end. Although, I feel that I had plenty of power when I was over 90 mph
Old 05-09-20, 01:05 AM
Driver School Candidate

Yea the transmission lag kills me. It murders my driving experience. I just keep it in auto with ECT switched on when I can. But I never envisioned myself having fun in this car. I went for reliable, comfortable, with of course a nicely designed powerplant that I wouldn’t want to mod. Seems foolish now that I think about it.

I’ll see how I feel after the sway bars. Who knows maybe I’ll actually want to invest more into it.

2013FSPORT, was the RR Racing tune noticeable? Do you have a catback? Headers? A build journal?

Old 05-09-20, 09:16 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

350360: As someone who had waited nearly a decade for the USDM 2IS350 to be able to have a tuned ECU with a higher RPM (as the JDM IS350s were able to tune their ECUs years prior), I was ecstatic when RR Racing (a fairly new company at the time) began offering tuning options for the 2nd gen IS350 back in Feb/Mar 2016. I was one of the very first in the states that received the tune (I had to mail my ECU to RR Racing back in those days) and the tune really added a new character/dynamic to the overall experience with the IS. Though peak horsepower gain is approx ~10rwhp, the torque curve and overall powerband curve is very flat.

Back then, I only had a TRD/F-Sport exhaust as my only exhaust mod yet the higher rev limit to 7200 RPMs added a bigger fun factor as well as allowed the IS350 to stay in the lower gears for an additional 500-700 RPMs which I found crucial when doing track day events. The tune really helps with taking advantage of the lower gears and maintaining a broad powerband with the car.

I have a detailed build thread that will give you other ideas on modding your IS350:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ld-thread.html

With regards to the input lag with the transmission, it is a quirk that you would simply have to work around with. I find that it's easier to time your upshifts when you have a tuned ECU as you have additional RPMs to utilize when you are at WOT. After a while, you would get used to initiating an upshift from 1st to 2nd gear NLT 1,000 RPMs before the rev limit, 500 RPMs when going from 2nd to 3rd gear, etc. On the track, I'm able to have the IS350 upshift between 7k-7.2k RPMs the vast majority of the time without hitting the rev limit:

The following 2 users liked this post by redspencer:
AMIRZA786 (05-09-20), Troyx350 (12-07-20)
Old 05-09-20, 12:52 PM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redspencer
350360: As someone who had waited nearly a decade for the USDM 2IS350 to be able to have a tuned ECU with a higher RPM (as the JDM IS350s were able to tune their ECUs years prior), I was ecstatic when RR Racing (a fairly new company at the time) began offering tuning options for the 2nd gen IS350 back in Feb/Mar 2016. I was one of the very first in the states that received the tune (I had to mail my ECU to RR Racing back in those days) and the tune really added a new character/dynamic to the overall experience with the IS. Though peak horsepower gain is approx ~10rwhp, the torque curve and overall powerband curve is very flat.

Back then, I only had a TRD/F-Sport exhaust as my only exhaust mod yet the higher rev limit to 7200 RPMs added a bigger fun factor as well as allowed the IS350 to stay in the lower gears for an additional 500-700 RPMs which I found crucial when doing track day events. The tune really helps with taking advantage of the lower gears and maintaining a broad powerband with the car.

I have a detailed build thread that will give you other ideas on modding your IS350:

With regards to the input lag with the transmission, it is a quirk that you would simply have to work around with. I find that it's easier to time your upshifts when you have a tuned ECU as you have additional RPMs to utilize when you are at WOT. After a while, you would get used to initiating an upshift from 1st to 2nd gear NLT 1,000 RPMs before the rev limit, 500 RPMs when going from 2nd to 3rd gear, etc. On the track, I'm able to have the IS350 upshift between 7k-7.2k RPMs the vast majority of the time without hitting the rev limit:

https://youtu.be/_CSWueOYm5I
Funny thing I was just reading your build journal when I decided to check back on this thread. Your build is amazing. Still wondering how much the F-sport suspension will improve over my current “f-sport” model suspension. But probably a lot. Bilstiens and Race engineered spring rates will be better than the tokiko and “sporty” springs the F-sport models have. It’s not bad, but has left me wanting more for sure.

First thing is the ISF steering ECU. I’m going to go ahead and get the RR Racing tune after that. Then the F-sport suspension. Ark Grip exhaust after that... then wider rims... and then trickle in the remaining suspension mods. Dammit I’m at it again! I guess some things never change
Old 05-09-20, 03:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Haha you're just about to change my mind on the RR Racing ECU tune. It would definitely be great to be able to at least hit 7K RPM. After doing my suspension mods I'll revisit the Tune. It's not like I would be blowing the bank!

Nice track run!
Old 05-09-20, 08:10 PM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 431 Likes on 125 Posts

https://youtu.be/_CSWueOYm5I
Yup, I like the 7200 limit and I just time my upshifts in advance. I also had multiple 1/8 mile runs and I run consistent times enough to go between S and paddles and D and realized paddles were slightly quicker on the 1/8 time if timed right due to the extra RPMs for 1st gear. I still have all my cats and I enjoy the tune though most of the time I'm in D for the daily grind.
Old 05-10-20, 10:50 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Haha you're just about to change my mind on the RR Racing ECU tune. It would definitely be great to be able to at least hit 7K RPM. After doing my suspension mods I'll revisit the Tune. It's not like I would be blowing the bank!

Nice track run!

This is what you get with a stock 350... it had a load of 100 octane fuel in it...
Lexus IS-350 0-80 mph
AMIRZA786 (05-10-20)
Old 08-27-21, 05:45 PM
rousseau
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for the old thread, but looking through ECU tuning I saw this...

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I rarely if ever go over 80 mph.
...and this...

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
This is what you get with a stock 350... it had a load of 100 octane fuel in it...
Lexus IS-350 0-80 mph
https://youtu.be/doeZjhyaeTI
...and thought...wait, 80 mph is 130 km/h? And you rarely get up to 130 km/h? Huh, that's interesting. I regularly do 140 km/h (90 mph?) or higher on the 401 outside of Toronto in the passing lane if traffic permits, and I'll easily do 150 km/h (95 mph?) on the 407 (toll road). I haven't done a lot of driving in the US, but I do recall the interstates being comparatively slower in Michigan and New York.

Can't speak for the rest of Canada, but in Ontario the 400-series highways seem quite speedy. Are there states in the US where the driving is quicker?
Old 08-27-21, 09:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rousseau
Sorry for the old thread, but looking through ECU tuning I saw this...

...and this...

...and thought...wait, 80 mph is 130 km/h? And you rarely get up to 130 km/h? Huh, that's interesting. I regularly do 140 km/h (90 mph?) or higher on the 401 outside of Toronto in the passing lane if traffic permits, and I'll easily do 150 km/h (95 mph?) on the 407 (toll road). I haven't done a lot of driving in the US, but I do recall the interstates being comparatively slower in Michigan and New York.

Can't speak for the rest of Canada, but in Ontario the 400-series highways seem quite speedy. Are there states in the US where the driving is quicker?
The reason for not going over 80 mph is due to the speed limit, which is 70 mph. I do go 80 on longer trips, otherwise the car is completely cable of 100 mph plus
Old 08-28-21, 03:15 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

I had the RR Racing Tune for almost 2 years and have plenty of 0-60, 1/4, and 1/8 with my full setup that consist of F-Sport Intake, F-Sport Exhaust, Invidia Midpipe, and RR-Racing Tune. A couple months ago I decided that I should flash my car back to stock tune and keep every other mod on and use my dragy to get times and compare the times with and without the tune.

My best times I have gotten with the RR-Racing tune is
1/8 mile: 8.50sec @ 83.7 mph
1/4 mile: 13.18sec @ 105.1 mph
0-60: 4.79sec
60-130: 15.12sec

The best times I have gotten without the RR-Racing tune is
1/8 mile: 8.59sec @ 83.1 mph
1/4 mile: 13.31sec @ 103.7
0-60: 5.03sec
60-130: 17.87sec

With the tune the car is a little quicker in all aspects but its not really noticeable until you get to over 110mph. An almost 3 second difference for a 60-130 is pretty noticeable and the reason why this the case is because with the stock tune the car shifts to 5th gear at like 115mph and it just accelerates so slowly after that. But with the RR-Racing tune I can stay in 4th gear until 130mph since I have the extra RPMs up to 7200 which gives it the extra push to complete my 60-130 run.
GrizzlyMan (08-28-21)

Quick Reply: I was considering buying the RR Racing ECU Upgrade Tune...