IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replaced ECM-Smart Key Module-ID Box won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 10:44 AM
DBowman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replaced ECM-Smart Key Module-ID Box won't start

I bought a 2007 IS350 a few months back and love it but ran into a problem in trying to have new key fobs programmed. I bought two used Lexus key fobs and took them to a Toyota dealers to have them reprogrammed. They checked the fobs and said yes these are correct but could not program them. I think they said that they could not get the car to communicate with the fobs. They said I should take it to a Lexus Dealer. As my only experience with a Lexus dealer was not good I searched for a second option. Unfortunately I was too trusting and did a poor job of finding help. I contacted a local key service who promised that they could reprogram my fobs. I have very little knowledge of electronics and computer functioning and I can't say precisely what happened but my understanding is that they thought they could solve the problem by first clearing the car's computer. Whatever, they did "clear" the computer and in so doing wiped out my only good fob. Thus I was left with a car that was dead. I could do nothing. But, hey!, they didn't charge me anything for their service.

A very good mechanic that I know recommended a person who does automotive diagnostics. Too bad I didn't obtain this referral to begin with. He thought I would need a new ID box or Smart Key module. Actually I can't quite recall right now but I told him I could get a used ECM, ID Box, Smart Key module, and key fob from the same parts car. He said that with all of those parts replaced it should solve my problem.

Luckily I was also replacing the dash and as that exposed the ID Box the installation of all parts was simple. The problem is that the IS350 will not start. The car responds to the fob and everything looks to be working. The security light blinks and start button lights amber with a press and green with foot on the pedal. The starter engages and the engine turns over just fine but no start. Because this seems to be related to the parts replacement I haven't checked for spark or fuel. I called a Lexus dealer and the service person I spoke to suggested trying to connect inputs # 4 and #13 on the OBD for 30 minutes but said he couldn't do more without looking at the car. I did this and no luck.

I haven't called the diagnostics man back and I think he should be able to figure it out but it would be nice if I could get it going and then just need to pay him for programming the fobs.

Thanks in advance