IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tesla style android budget system, px3 Airbag ON after installation. Bug FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 03:57 AM
Toofast
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tesla style android budget system, px3 Airbag ON after installation. Bug FIXED!!

Thanks again to verly6565 and everyone for your posts. I am "Pay it foward!"
This is the summary of many hours of reading and headages. However, the airbag light in my dashboard got FIX!!! I am sharing with you guys step by step how to fix this common problem with this android units. I will make a video soon!!
I have a 2007 Lexus IS350 with navigation, Mark Levison (ML) amplifier but NO OPTICAL CABLE. This can work in lexus from 2006-2011 with or without navigation but the important key is to find the cable that control the hazzard lights in the factory Radio unit (use a test light; when finding the hazzard lights will activate). Also, to make sure you got the right cable: disconnect the cable from the factory unit. Turn the car ON (Safety first, make sure emergency brakes ON and the car is shift in Park (P). IF the airbag in the dashboard goes ON you got the right cable!)
For units with optical cable follow verly6565 tread.
1. Select the bundle of connectors that have the Tire Pressure Module (TPM bundle). Remember to keep the TPM box from the factory radio. Select the 12 pin connector located at the side of the factory unit. (See pics below) From this factory male 12 pin plug:
2. Find the #9 pin color PURPLE (P-AB). This control the light from the passenger indicator for airbag on/off and seat belt.
3. Find #11 pin color BLACK. Power + comes from the ignition (IG +).
4. Solder or crimp 1 K ohm resistor ( Ask for the fireproof one) between pin #11 black and pin #9 Purple. ( Remember to tap the black wire and NOT to cut it to avoid drop in voltage. These cars are very sensitive about that) If you want to keep the factory wires intact then put the 1 K Ohm Resistor in the female tesla android connector. Just match which color match the male factory plug. If the female android connector have no a pin/cable like my case (Pin#9) just remove one pin from the tesla connectors not connected to the factory unit harness (some tesla harness comes with extra connectors!. Use a hair pin to remove the pin!).
5. Remember to use electrical tape and insulate all metal connectors/ welds/ resistor/ etc. Also tape the ends of unused factory plugs to avoid a short circuit. Connect the tesla connectors, turn ON the car and see if the airbag light turns OFF. Bingo!
* if you have the sticky dash like mine becareful with the edges ( they chip very easy and it looks bad).

This is the cable with the connector controlling the hazzards and airbag/sealt belt indicator passenger light.

This is the back of the factory unit. See the bottom of the unit with NO opical or fiber optic cable?

Wire diagram. With (*1) or without (*2) Navigation are the same.

This means that your airbag system is malfunctioning. So they may not work in case of an accident. The chinesse made the Teslas Android base on IS250 japanese (which does not have the airbag indicator passenger light on the radio unit). So when the tesla is installed, the car's computer is looking to complete the circuit and if it does not happen throw an airbag light in the dashboard. So, the 1 K ohm resistor complete the circuit. The airbag light will turn OFF.

12 pin male factory connector from TPM bundle. Reading from Lelf to right, start numbering pins 1-12. Pin #1 is in the Left upper corner. Pin#11 its wire is color black and pin #9 color purple.

Female Tesla android connector with the 1 K ohm resistor. Tap in the black wire and new pin in pin#9 to meet the purple wire. All wire connectors insulated with electrical tape including the resistor. Good luck!!. I assumed no responsability. Contact a professional installer if you do not want to risk it. I took my chance and My airbag light on the dashboard is FIXED! Its gone👍

This is what the seller sent me which is mostly wrong. The car has a 12 pin connector not 14 pins. They were right about use 1 k ohm resistor and P-AB

$250 Budget system cost me 15+ hours of reading and Headages but the most important Bug is fixed. The unit still have some issues like not venting downdards and not able to mirror link my android phone. I will work in those issues and I keep you updated.

Tesla style 10.4 inch, android 8.1. 2g ram 32 g. PX3. Left to right connectors: Antena/Gps, video in (rear view camera, 2 usbs), power cable with fuse.*Side cable (down right) controlling the tesla screen side buttons. This is the 12 pin female connector for the airbag passenger and hazzard lights.

1/2 Watt fireproof 1 K ohm resistor, buds connectors, tap connectors,
1 K ohm resistor.

Last edited by Toofast; 05-24-20 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Correction
The following 2 users liked this post by Toofast:
ECTpwr (09-04-20), Tora (06-02-20)
Old 05-24-20, 07:21 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

"The unit still have some issues like not venting downdards and not able to mirror link my android phone. I will work in those issues and I keep you updated."

What do you mean it won't vent downwards? Like heat for the legs?
Old 05-24-20, 01:50 PM
Toofast
Driver

Yes, it does not send the air on the legs ( it is not a big deal for me for now). I need to work in how mirrow link my android phone. The unit has a phone link program thats require to down load an TIMA app but I can not find it in google play. I scanned the QR code and I was able to download the app but it is in chinese. I use a google translate with another phone and it works but it is slow. I also contacted the seller to send me another phone link app but no luck. If you know an app I can installed in my tesla unit please let me know. The GPS is not working. Its need to set up. Any help is apreciated.
​​​

Last edited by Toofast; 05-26-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-24-20, 07:07 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Very nice that you figured it out. I was on a thread that had a couple of people making some attempts at doing this but weren't able to do it.
Old 05-24-20, 08:12 PM
Toofast
Driver

This one was a team work. I was reading everyone posts, contacting the seller, got help from verly6565. So any questions feel free to ask. I will make a video soon to make it easier.👍
Old 05-27-20, 09:45 PM
Toofast
Driver

Correction. The budget Tesla A/C controls works but some buttons on the screen don't.
Bottom line: You can control the air vents direction to windshield, front and legs) defrost and fresh air and air recirculate (it looks that the screen has 2 sets of same buttons) I just needed to play with them to see which one works!!!
The following users liked this post:
ECTpwr (09-04-20)
Old 05-28-20, 10:00 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Have you try setting the air to hot? Does it blow on the legs then?
Old 05-28-20, 12:09 PM
Toofast
Driver

A/C air vents works any direction. I was playing with the buttons and some work and some don't but once you figured out no problem. I will check for the hot air this weekend.
Tesla issues: you get what you pay for! No support from seller Aliexpress ( maybe better from alibaba but they are from same company). If you want support I recommend Phoenix Auto.

ISSUES:
1)Airbag light ON Fixed with the resistor.
2) You can mirror link but it is slow and the app TIMA in my phone is in Chinese. So if you know which Phone link app can be installed in he Tesla, please let me know. (I dont know if I am going to mirror link at all because I already installed the apps I need in the unit.)
3) You have to play bending the metal so the unit flush to the dash.

I had to bent the metal pieces to fit better and flush to dash.

ECTpwr (09-04-20)
Old 05-31-20, 12:58 AM
Toofast
Driver

Yes, it does blow hot air in heating mode👍
ECTpwr (09-04-20)
Old 06-02-20, 01:10 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Cool; that's what the car normally does. It doesn't blow air from below if it's not not set to hot.
Old 06-16-20, 10:40 AM
Alexand3rr
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey! Is there a way to figure out whether or not you have an optical cable in your radio without removing it?

I'm trying to order the unit below but they are asking me if my radio/amp has fiber optic cable.
Old 06-22-20, 08:12 PM
Toofast
Driver

Hi, the optic cable is base on your car year. I think 2010 and above. But to make sure you will need to take a picture to the back of the unit before you order. (there are youtube videos of how to do it. The hard part is the A\C vent. Watch few videos about how to take the A\C vent. Becareful with the dash edges. They scrape easily).
How much you will pay for that radio unit?
Do you want to put a tesla style unit instead?
I think it looks better than the old style and you will be paying the same. Also the green color won't match you A\C controls.
I pay for my tesla $250 total with shipping at aliexpress or alibaba (but they give almost no customer support). But I figured out with help and I already post how to fix the bugs.
Without optic cable

With optical cable
Old 06-22-20, 08:31 PM
Toofast
Driver

Another picture with optic cable. Some radios are not compatible with the ones with optic cable.
Old 06-22-20, 10:05 PM
nosurprise
Racer

What's the link to order this unit for $250? I might do that if the spec is not too bad ... what's the boot up time like?
Old 06-24-20, 04:40 PM
Toofast
Driver

Default Budget Tesla display

2006-2009 lexus is250/is350 from aliexpress.
About $250 https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400083...0Q90.jpg_.webp
Core

Last edited by Toofast; 07-31-20 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Correction

Quick Reply: Tesla style android budget system, px3 Airbag ON after installation. Bug FIXED!!